Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #106  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think part of the difficulty is that fancy sells as much as it does sell gyms these days. Who really wants a cage where you have to have some idea of what you are doing versus having a 'home gym' where you just sit down and perform various guided exercises that isolate muscle groups?

Safety and flexibility where my biggest items and although the system may be a bit too fancy for me, it is safe and has enough flexibility for various workouts.

That being said, I can't wait until my workout on Friday. Yesterday, I did 1B and I'm sore today. I had a lot of difficulty waking up and partially thought it was the workout from yesterday but I guess the time change had some play in that too.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #107  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Well, I finally went to see someone about my shoulder problems and got diagnosed, not surprisingly, with rotator cuff tendonitis. What does this mean? I don't know yet but he recommended that I try some physical therapy. He thought just a few visits would give me enough information to learn some exercises that should help. He thought I should cut out the shoulder exercises that I had been doing, for now, until I could strengthen some muscles. I'm not sure if I want to cut out everything for 6-8 weeks but I'm quite familiar with which exercises bother me. I guess I should make the appointment and see what I learn.

Good to know I haven't lost my mind with my random shoulder issues. It was hard to be there because today, of course, they felt fine. It's tough because the problems come and go so randomly (randomly to me at least). Sometimes I just wake up and can't lift my arm too high. Then it goes away on it's own. I'll keep you posted and if anyone has any thoughts, please share!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #108  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Elisa: I'm so glad you went to get this checked. Hopefully you will learn some new tricks to help you work with/around your shoulder pain.

By the way, is that you in your avatar from vacation? When I was doing research on all inclusive vacations I found places that offer trapeze lessons. It looked like a lot of fun.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #109  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Lydia - thanks for the kind words about my poor old shoulders. And yes, that was me on my vacation! Not a great picture but I was so proud of myself that I had to put it up. I'm not usually the adventurous type for stuff like that but I figured I was on vacation and how often do you get to try out a trapeze? One of my friends chickened out but I just went for it (although I was scared out of my mind!) I managed that knee hang on the first try and was so proud.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #110  
Working My Way Back Down

Elisa, how exciting - flying the trapeze! When I was a kid the neighborhood dads got together and got us kids a playground quality swing set, and we had a trapeze, but not that high. And I loved doing the zipline in Costa Rica last year. You're right - how often do you get to try these things out!?

I'm very tired today - didn't sleep well, after not being able to fall asleep, and then the alarm clock went off right on time..... Supposed to go to the gym from work, but I'm not sure I can stay awake long enough.

My 95 year old FIL died Sat morning. He's not been well for the past few months, and his body just started shutting down. He'd been in a nursing home for the past few weeks. He was mentally alert right to the end, and DH had visiting him in late January, and talked to him on Thursday. He had a long full life, and while we're sad of course, we realize it was just him time. We will not have the funeral (in Massachusetts) until after Easter for a variety of reasons, but it will likely necessitate changing all the airline arrangments for our Grand Canyon vacation. Sigh.

BTW, Girl Scout cookies are
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #111  
Mel

Pat- I'm sorry to hear of your FIL's death. A good, full life is to be celebrated. Your new travel pans sound exhausting!

Elisa- I'm glad you got that checked out too! Now go to PT and learn some of the stretches and techniques for alleviating it. Chronic tendonitis is dreadful At least it's not a tear, that would be far longer than a 6 week recovery. I did the trapeze 2 years ago when I was in Jamaica with dd. It was FUN! and the staff all stared at the crazy old lady trying it The one thing that bothered me was that I had to go wash all the sun tan lotion off, then I got burned.

LF- How are you feeling these days?

Lydia- Are you dug out yet? Did the boys have school?

I did cardio this morning despite feeling like something the cat dragged in. Actually felt much better when I was done. Sure was dark out, tho! I need to add some higher impact exercises despite my attempts to protect my knees. Turns out that just heavy lifting isn't enough to protect bone mass. Out of necessity, I've been doing a lot of research lately and have found that the most bone mass is built or rebuilt with a combination of ground based, top-loaded exercise, and impact. I loathe running, but will start doing about 10 minutes a day again

Chest workout at the gym at lunchtime....

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #112  
Working My Way Back Down

Mel, I worry about that too (the no impact thing) but until I get something more done to my knees, I just don't see any way of doing it. I suppose that step-ups help a little more than just walking. I'm putting off the ortho til after my GC vacation (but then my sister wants me to go to England/Scotland with her in the fall..... There's never a good time is there? ) I had my first ever bone scan in January - and got an A+ so I won't worry about that yet.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #113  
Kallos Sthenos

Elisa: Great! I had hoped it was you on the trapeze. How fun!

Pat: I am sorry to know your FIL passed away over the weekend. Even when our loved ones have lived a long full life it is still difficult to accept their passing. It's nice that your DH was able to spend time with him January.

Mel: No school today. The roads were cleared but the sidewalk and parking lots around the schools were still covered with 20 inches of snow. So I did what any other insane mother would do. Let her DS call every friend he could find at home over for a playdate. DS1 talked DH into purchasing a new video game that was just released yesterday. Needless to say he didn't have to twist anyone's arm to come over to play. After about an hour of that lovely music I chased them all outside to play in the snow. At this age it turned into a snowball fight and wrestling match that I had to mediate every once in a while. Great fun. Nah. They're all good boys.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Ah Lydia you made me seriously regret not experiencing all of this fabulous snow heavy winter! I love playing in the snow!!!

Depalma - thanks for those squat videos. I just had a chance to watch them today & they're awesome.

I am still feeling exhausted & my workouts are almost non-existent. I nap every afternoon & then feel so guilty & terrible afterwards for wasting daylight. Ugh - I need to be a little stricter with myself & only allow the nap AFTER the workout!!!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Awww, LG, really - cut yourself some slack. The first Tri is reeeaaally hard - I've heard some say that they were relieved to find out they were "just" prg, bc they feared it was something much worse. So you're supposed to feel like crap. I PROMISE you that come week 13 you will be back to your normal self - only you will appreciate it 200x more bc of the misery you just went through. It will never be this bad again, until week 37+ when you will just feel immobile and physically challenged. You know the worse you feel, the better the hormones! So, instead of focusing on not working out, why don't we just start the countdown to the 2ndtri? Sorry, I've turned off siggys, so you'll have to remind me how much longer til then!

Last edited by sportmom; 03-11-2008 at 12:10 AM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #116  
Mel

Pat- my first dexa at age 50 was a+ too, but my dexa a month ago was not. Family history is against me, but the machines were quite different. I'm off to the doc this morning to discuss the drugs that I refuse to take.

Cardio done, maybe gym at lunch if doc doesn't make me too late.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #117  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

A fly-by post this morning, almost literally. We're leaving in a couple of hours for the airport and our flight to Tucson. From there, it's a 50-minute drive to the Middle of Nowhere, which will be our home base for a week of hiking, bird-watching, photography, etc.

Stay strong, everyone.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Thanks Sportmom - I'm only at 7 weeks so still awhile to go yet in this trimester. Just got back from taking the dog for her walk - feel a little better for having sweated today.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #119  

Hi LWL,

Pat - sorry to hear about your FIL

Mel - How was the docter appointment ? Any new thoughts on bone density?

LG - keep it up and listen to your body. if you are tired, take a nap. This is the one period in your life where everyone is totally understanding that you are tired, AND it is your first child ( so no other 1 or 2 yr old to keep mommy busy). ENJOY! this is a once in a lifetime event, you will not be able to rest like now for the next 10 years. (Can you tell that I have 2 kids ?)

Elisa - WOW on the trapeze act

Lydia - are thawed out yet ?

Kaw - enjoy our holiday!

Hi to everyone else.
I am still tired from last week but I did NRWL yesterday, upped the weights again to 13 kg DBs and 24 kg BB. I'm actually glad that I am heading towards session 8, and will get to stage 2 next because the BB is getting kind off scary...I do the lifting alone, at home, without squat rack so I think I definitely want to keep stuff under control. No power class yesterday but I did 30 mins rowing and 30 mins run today. I am re-doing c25k, trying to get to a higher speed.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #120  
Kallos Sthenos

Hi Rabbit We are still thawing out over here but traffic is back to normal at least in the city. I have no idea what the surrounding counties are like. DH came home from work and cranked out this sculpture while there was still daylight. No roly poly snowman gracing our front lawn. Even our snowcreatures are fit.