Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #16  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Ohhhh...thank you..thankyou...thankYOU Meg!!! I've been looking for something like this all friggin week! Woo hoo...now I'm on my way!

You would think Vectrafitness.com would have something on the net about how to use their damn $8-12K equipment!!!! They don't! Nothing! Just a manual on how to put it together (as if anyone could really follow those instructions...pleazzze!). Thanks again guys...Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Alright, well I like to lift and to lift heavy, but I have more moderate goals for my muscle development. I don't want to look like a figure competitor, just lean and what they call 'toned'. I think this is a good thing because Mel's 5 day split sounds terrifying to me! (Actually, it sounds a little bit fun too, but still terrifying.)

Anyway, I wanted comment on the nutrition that Lydia mentioned. The NROL people are adamant that you can't build muscle while eating less than maintenance calories, and they argue that a maintenance-level, protein-heavy diet plus their workouts will result in muscle gains AND fat loss. Quite a few women on the NRLW board (Joyce--lots of women there trying to get jacked too) have been following the nutrition plan as well as the lifting plan and have been having good success with fat loss and the strength gains. So it's worth thinking about.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #18  
banned

Baffled - Thanks...I'll check it out! Question though...I see you quit smoking recently...GOOD FOR YOU GIRL! I really want this to be my year to quit too! The more I exercise...the more I feel like being a slave to cigs is really holding me back! Has your workouts gotten better/worse since you quit? I say worse, cuz when I quit smoking years ago...the first couple of weeks, I was hacking up a storm and my lungs felt worse than when I was smoking (probably cuz it was getting rid of all the years of tar build-up)...but just curious...need motivation...Joyce
Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

Joyce I just found this website when I went to visit the site that Baffled mentionned....Animated Exercise Examples Those little stick men are so cute
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #20  
banned

Cool...really cool...Thanks Ilene!!! Gonna do my written workout routine for the week and these sites will really help me out...A thousands thanks to all for your help! Joyce
Old 02-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

You know, it's funny, but I haven't had the extra coughing and hacking yet. People had warned me about it but now is the first time in years that I haven't spent the first part of the morning clearing out my lungs. (Yuck.) I haven't done any coughing at all, even though I've had a persistent smoker's cough for 3-4 years now. FWIW, I was a 2 - 2.5 pack a day smoker, so this quitting is serious business. I've only ever tried to quit once before, but this time is for real.

The exercise was a big motivation for me and actually, it's been incredible. I mentioned this in the maintainers weekly thread, but my heart rate responded immediately to the quitting. I wear a HRM and my HR was consistently about 20 points lower for all activities at the gym from the very first day that I quit. It's kinda bizarre actually (and bad, because lower HR = fewer cals burned) but also very, very cool. All of a sudden I have to work MUCH harder to get the HR that was standard for me the week before last. It's crazy. I've been doing these 2-3 mile runs with my dog for months and months and months and I had basically plateaued: I could NOT run the entire 3 miles without stopping for a walk break to catch my breath and had started doing only 2 miles instead. Then, the other day I decided to do the whole 3 miles and I just ran the whole thing (3 mins quicker than I have before) without even thinking about taking a walk break. My body was just able to do it, no problem. So, so cool. I'm really looking forward to all my summer activities (hiking, biking, running) because it is going to be so very excellent not to have to be fighting my lungs and fighting my heart the entire time. It's great.

Also, I'm so, so, so glad that I had become addicted to exercise prior to quitting. I don't think I could have survived the last 2 weeks without exercise (or, if I did survive, I'd have gained far more than the 5lb I have gained). Endorphins are almost as good as cigarettes (and ice cream).

Last edited by baffled111; 02-24-2008 at 12:48 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #22  
DH Lydia227

S/C/G: 250/225/185

Height: 6'1" (on a good day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
"My name is Lydia and I am addicted to my own muscle development"
I can confirm this.
drop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #23  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Drop20, aka, Lydia's DH: now, now ... if you're not nice to Lydia, she may force you to drop and give her 20 (pushups). Or, I suppose, drop kick you 20 (yards).

to 3fc!

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #24  
DH Lydia227

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
if you're not nice to Lydia, she may force you to drop and give her 20 (pushups). Or, I suppose, drop kick you 20 (yards).
Wow, that would be getting of easy in our house, Kim. Lydia's pretty tough. Don't let that sweet profile picture fool you.

Thanks for the welcome though! I sent someone over here from my blog. Just thought I'd dive in and take a look (since I've heard so much about all of you).

Cheers!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #25  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You mean you aren't like my husband...
"Are you sure that isn't too much weight? That looks pretty heavy, I can't even do that"

Reason #1 we don't go to the gym together any more
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #26  
banned

Default Progress on my "Ripped System" program

Hello all! Just thought I'd check in and let you all know how I'm doin'. Well, it's day 8 of my "Ripped" program by NxCare and I feel great. I've finally started my weight training and through alot of research both on this forum and others...finally found a bodybuilder/model who has the same Vectra system as me and she was nice enough to give me her workout (and a few lifting tips)! I'm sore (probably be dead tomorrow), cuz I'm really doing alot between 30 min cardio (6 days/week) and 30-45 min weight training 4 days/week, but it's PAYIN' OFF! Didn't really pay attention to the scale this week as my WI was saturday which also turned out to be the first day of my TOM! I will WI this coming Saturday...but not to concerned with that cuz I'm already getting cuts in my legs and abs!!! woo hoo!

When I'm done with my 21 day program...I'll post before/after pics. Thanks for all your support ladies! Joyce
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #27  
Ilene the Bean

Great new.... I'm looking forward to seeing your pics...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #28  
DH Lydia227

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
You mean you aren't like my husband...
"Are you sure that isn't too much weight? That looks pretty heavy, I can't even do that"
No way! The last time we went to the gym together I made her laugh so hard that I got banned.

I mean, when we checked out gyms two weeks ago, the guy taking us around asked us what we liked to do. Lydia popped those huge veins in her neck and said, "I'm an IRON MAMMA! HOORAH!."

Me?

"Well, let's see. I like to read and hang out in the coffee shop. Does that count?"
Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #29  
Meg

You two are quite a team! And welcome!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote