Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

Question confused about different methods of training

Hi there! I'm sorry, but I have sort of beginning question. I've been reading some of the weight training sites I found through these forums, and some of them have been telling me that there's no such thing as "toning" and that I should focus on lifting weights rather than doing lower-weight-high-rep activities.

I do a few exercises with weights (lat pull downs, chest presses, bicep curls, tricep curls) that I try to do at a weight that allows me to do 12-15 reps with good form. I also do squats sometimes while holding one of my free weights. Unfortunately, though, I find it hard to motivate myself to do these exercises as often or as long as I should though, so I was planning to rent the 10 Minute Solution: Tone Trouble Zone dvd from Netflix, which uses a resistance band to do various upper and lower body moves. Of course, I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how much resistance there's actually going to be, but would this be something that would give enough of a workout to help me build muscles? (I'm not trying to be a body builder or anything, I'm just aiming to get into good shape)

I think I could easily fit in a day or two of weight training at my office gym, but I really like the idea of being able to build muscle at home since there it fits best into my schedule and I'm more likely to stay with it.

Thanks so much for your advice!
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you read some of the stickies on our forum? You are correct in that there is no such thing as toning. You either build muscle or you don't. And for some reason, some women think lifting up a few weights is going to turn them into a body builder over night when it takes many years, many heavy weights and a low body fat to look anything like a body builder.

Those DVDs/bands might help you some but you will reach a plateau with them at a certain point. I think resistance bands are great for beginners (and those that need portable weight gear) but I'd also recommend looking into some weights. It sounds you like you have some?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Building muscle is only going to help you slim down, boost your metabolism & look fabulous!

I've never been one for the bands but some people do like them. I think that nelie is right in saying you'll quickly plateau with them.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote