3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Does anyone have a book, DVD worth seeing or reading? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/133948-does-anyone-have-book-dvd-worth-seeing-reading.html)

sharonrr1 02-08-2008 11:07 PM

Does anyone have a book, DVD worth seeing or reading?

I'm always interested in learning more about exercise and nutrition. Besides BFL and NROL4W do any of you have suggestions of books or dvds?
Thanks in advance.

RoseTears 02-09-2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharonrr1 (Post 2045841)
I'm always interested in learning more about exercise and nutrition. Besides BFL and NROL4W do any of you have suggestions of books or dvds?
Thanks in advance.

they have nothing to do with nutrition advice, but some good exercise dvd's i recommend are the Billy Blanks Tae Bo Bootcamp series is amazing and I recently fell in love with Zumba...cardio latin dancing, it's so fun! :)

Meg 02-09-2008 03:21 AM

Tom Venuto has an ebook called Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle (BFFM) that I thought was a really good explanation of fat loss, nutrition, and muscle gain. :)

Mel 02-09-2008 08:10 AM

Despite all the supplement adds and pictures of female figure pros, Oxygen magazine has some very good articles on nutrition and workouts each month.

Mel

Depalma 02-09-2008 08:44 AM

Two of the nutrition books that I like best are:

John Berardi's Precision Nutrition program and Mike Rousell's Naked Nutrition Guide. However they are both very pricey so I would be hesitant to recommend them as recreational reading material.

One food based book, but not a nutrition book, is the The Thin Commandments by Stephen Gullo. For me this helped more with behavior modification more than anything.

For training:

If you've read NROL4W, you should still check out the original NROL

I also love Core Performance by Mark Verstegen. If there was one book I'd recommend to a true beginner, it would be this one. While there are better workouts than those in this book, Core Performance doesn't only give you the strength workouts, but also gives more attention to the entire training package. Everything is addressed, Movement Prep (Dynamic Warmup), Physioball Routine, Prehab, Elasticity, Strength, Energy System Development, and Regeneration.

Power Training by Robert dos Remedios. Coach Dos is a strength and conditioning coach at the College of the Canyons in California. He is a friend and colleage of Alwyn Cosgrove. While Alwyn has made fat loss his primary mission and most of his workouts have fat loss as the primary goal, Dos as a strength and conditioning coach has power and athleticism has his primary goals and his workouts reflect that. While there workouts have different goals and thus are different in many ways, you will also seem a lot of similarities.

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a great book for learning some big movements that will get you strong and gives you a very simple, basic workout, to reach that end. Nothing earth-shattering in here. It is guide for coaching beginners the Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Press, and Power Clean.

Other:

Winning by Losing by Jillian Michaels. The chapter on Metabolic Typing alone, to me, was worth the price of the book. Besides, I'll admit it, I'm a Jillian fan.

sportmom 02-09-2008 09:20 PM

I like to hang out in the 613.71 section of the library. Check it whenever I go by for the kids, and always check the new books section in that call number. That's where I found my latest great finds by Human Kinetics.

Pat, aren't you so PROUD of me? A walking Dewey poster!

sportmom 02-10-2008 06:08 PM

Hey! Just started another new one from today's library visit. "The Incredible Shrinking Critic: 75 pounds and counting." A true story by Jami Bernard. I really enjoy the first-person account writing style. Funny and lots of points hitting home. 613.25B if you're looking for it on the shelf! lol

WaterRat 02-10-2008 08:31 PM

Fran - you are a girl after my own heart! :rofl: I just love it when people know where to look for the books they want. My bedroom is in pieces all over the house (we're painting), and that's where all my WL books except NRL4W are, so I can't give you the exact titles of a couple I own. One is WL for Dummies, the other is something about WL for women, but it escapes me at the moment. Later in the week things may be restored to something resembling normal here, but I'm not sure.....

Depalma 02-10-2008 08:59 PM

I have no idea how I forgot this one:

Lift Strong by Alwyn Cosgrove with contributions by a wide variety of experts in the areas of fitness and nutrition such as John Berardi, Mike Rousell, Dave Tate, Eric Cressey, Chad Waterbury, Mike Robertson, Mike Boyle and others on wide range of fitness topics.

The best article in my opinion was not even training related, it was Alwyn's "The Cancer Diaries" which were simply reprints of e-mails Alwyn sent out to friends in family during his two battles with cancer. This one really sends you through the entire gamut of emotions and really brought my respect for the man to an entirely new level.

http://www.liftstrong.com/

horsey 02-11-2008 12:56 PM

The Eat Clean Exercise and diet planning books seem quite good, I recently bought both. I think the Kathy Smith books and dvds are good for starting out. Smart Girls do Dumbells is a simple book about weight training. The Body Sculpting Bible has good workouts. I'm assuming since this is on the weight training thread you were talking about weights and nutrition for weight lifting?

sharonrr1 02-12-2008 12:53 PM

Thanks Horsey, yes I was talking about nutrition for weight lifters.
Also thank you all for your suggestions. I have picked up some of the books and can't wait to read them all. I am almost already done with Burn the Fat and Feed the Muscle. I already love that book and am trying some of the things like calorie tapering. I also am getting the Precision Nutrition and have ordered the Eating clean book. I'll keep you guys posted on my battle with the fat %.

WaterRat 02-12-2008 01:19 PM

Sharon, do you read Skwigg's blog link here? She is a big fan of Precision Nutrition.