Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #106  
Mel

Good morning! Major ice.sleet/rain and snowstorm here. I'm listening to traffic reports and it sound like one big accident out there across the eastern PA, Delaware and New Jersey area. Good thing my commute is about 4 miles.

Yesterday I did shoulders instead of my usual "wacky Tuesday". I can't go to the gym today because I have a mammogram and dexa scan, so my lifting week is compressed. Shoulders after a heavy chest workout on Monday was hard. I felt like a total wimp!

Dh is home- his plane landed just before the storm hit yesterday....whew!

OK, off to inspect the ice on my car.

Have a good one!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #107  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I only have time for a quick hello. Last week was crazy busy but tomorrow morning I'm off to Nassau for five days with a couple of girlfriends!! This weather is starting to get to me so I'm looking forward to some warmth (definitely) and some sunshine (I hope). Given how busy I've been, the workouts have been lacking a bit but I've managed to squeeze in a few. The food, though, has been okay and I'm at a good weight but afraid of the effects of the "all inclusive"! I'm hoping for my power class after work today, then it's off for a nice dinner with DH, since I'm abandoning him on Valentine' Day!

I've packed a lot of workout clothes and would really like to think that they'll get some use while we're there. I don't want the only exercise to be back and forth to the bar or buffet.

Hi to everyone and, by the way, is it spring yet?

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #108  

Like Mel, messy weather. Still, I had to drive iceslicked roads to go to the doc and get blood drawn. Timed it to my 1 day of rest a week, but have to admit HATE taking a day off. I'm feeling fine, so tempted to work out. But after last time nearly fainting, well, I just have to sit on my hands and hold out til tomorrow.

I'm down to 282. I had a goal of 280 by 2/14, which I will just miss, but at least I've found what works for me. Next goal will be 270 by mid-March. When that happens I will be at my college weight senior year (1991).
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #109  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been hit by something, seems to be very fluish. I'm laying low. Weather is crappy, I feel crappy, blah blah blah.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #110  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

That was really some kind of storm wasn't it?! The storm hit us first Mel. Fortunately, I made it home about hour before it started to hit.

Nelie, I think my post is going to be a lot like yours. Blah...has anyone else had strep as an adult? Silly question but really, after the antibiotic treatment the sore throat is gone but I am so dizzy that it wears me out to walk across the room. Not kidding. If this doesn't lift by the end of the week I'm really going to freak out and see my doc again. I hate this sick thing. I cant even remember my last workout. GRRRRRRRR.

Elisa: Have a great time on your trip. I'm sure that you will find a place to get a good workout in. If not you'll be so rested and relaxed when you get back that you'll be ready for a great workout week when you return.

JG: Congratulations on your loss. It looks like you are doing a fantastic job in the challenge even with all that has been going on. Good for you.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Hi Lydia, I had strep in december and found myself posting the same ? on my parenting board. I kept hearing I'd feel better after day 5 on the antibiotic but convinced myself i'd need another round of something else bc I just still could not get out of the bed. You know, one of those where you keep making promises about "how it's gonna be" as soon as you can get back to working out again? lol I did finally get out of bed by about day 7-8. You're right tho - the throat pain goes by pill #3, but the weakness hangs on for what seems like forever. Feel better. I hope I've relieved you some.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #112  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Oh Fran you really have. THANK YOU! I was really concerned that there was something seriously wrong with me. Ok. I'll just be patient and hang out in my room a little longer.

You are right about all of those "As soon as I feel better I'll..." promises. I don't know why I give myself permission to eat poorly when I'm not working out but for some reason I really do. It's catching up with me too. Not much of a weight gain but there is some muscle loss. It's time for some warm weather NOW!

Okay, time to take another nap.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #113  
Working My Way Back Down

Lydia and Fran - I've had strep as an adult several times (and I don't even have kids to blame it on!) and it truly does lay you out cold. Sooooo tired.

Mel - have fun with your scans! I had both the end of last month, and silly people, they said I was normal. What do they know? I was happy about the dexa though as both my mom and grandmother (and MIL) were humpbacked little old ladies, and I'm determined not to be!

Did NRLW Stage 1B excercises last night, increasing the weight on everything - including overhead presses woo-woo! Those are hard for me. I have one more session of each of the A and B exercises, which I plan to do on Thurs and Sat, and then move on to stage 2 next week. I took my DH the original NRL but so far he hasn't opened it......
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:48 AM   #114  

Hi LWL,

Huge NSV for me ... Instead of obsessing with guilt that I did no do NRWL 1a yesterday, as planned, I went and did it this morning before I showered and it was totally doable to fit it into my morning scedule!

AND... I was able to do 2 sets of 10 real pushups (so not the girlie pushups on my knees) !!!

Pat - great to hear you are on NRWL too.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #115  
Mel

Rabbit!

Pat, My mother and grandmother also have/had extreme osteoporosis, so I was relieved at my first scan 3 years ago to be told that I had bones of concrete. Hope they stay that way!. My mother was part of the original clinical trial of fosomax. She and I don't look like we share any genetic material, tho. Having been overweight does have some advantages....not many, but some. She's looked like a bird all her life.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Back workout for me. Salmon for dinner. I gave hubby STRICT instructions :no chocolate and no overpriced roses! A card will be fine.

I bought my own Valentine's gift to me yesterday: a pair of skis! I haven't owned skis in 29 years. I'm so excited The model is called "Burnin Luv"- I'm HOT!!!!

Have a good one,
Mel
Old 02-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #116  

Hi Mel,

SKI's !!! how absolutely gorgeous!!! Are you in a ski-able neighborhood??? I used to go ski in italy but I have not been for over 16 years (XH had an injury that made skiing impossible for him so it was over for me too) I love to ski but I am very afraid to drive in hills and on snow, so it is not in my near future.

Just came home from the gym...DD went to dance class, and i did 1 hr on the treadmill, watching Tv. And I have progressed to being able to do 30 minutes at 7 kms/hr (a bit under 5 miles per hour )

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #117  
Working My Way Back Down

Skis, hmmmm. I learned to ski as a young 20-something, and progressed enough to enjoy it and do easy intermediate trails. Then life changed, we moved, etc. and I did mostly X-country. Once we were living in Alaska, I didn't even do a lot of that - it's too dang cold most of the time! But 20 years ago (eek, I had to look it up, I remember because it was the winter of the Challenger disaster) I took a 6 weeks "Ladie's Ski Program" with two GFs. You got ski rental, all day lift ticket, a morning lesson and lunch for a set price. It was like starting over, but I was much more fearful than I had been at 21/22.... I made some progress, but basically I've not skiied since! Plus, it's gotten soooo expensive!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #118  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I've been blah this week too! Sinus infection, I think, or perhaps someone has stuck an icepick in my ear, it feels that way at least.

Haven't started my NRLW program, or even done my usual cardio, so I feel even more blah-y. I have managed to put together my workout log binder and I haven't taken any sick days, so that should count for something. My eating has been a little bipolar this week. Lentils for lunch today, followed by a few hersheys kisses. I was upping my calories into the NRLW range, but I had intended to be working out too.

I've never been skiing. Even when I lived in WV where everyone skis, I never went. I'm barely capable of walking across flat ground, skis would be disasterous. I love the name of the skis though!
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #119  
Mel

Quote:
I was much more fearful than I had been at 21/22
Ah, the immortality of youth. I unfortunately still THINK and act like I'm 20 and consequently have a lot of bumps and bruises. And I also discovered I no longer have bones of concrete. Damn genetics!

Did a good back workout today despite feeling pretty tired and worried about the dexa scan. Food was good until I started cleaning up the kitchen. That's why I'm now in front of the computer instead of finishing cleaning the kitchen My house is getting to be a disaster area. I guess I could go clean bathrooms without fear of finding food....I hope!

Mel
Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Hahaha - I find that as I get thinner I get braver again. I'm more sure of my body's capabilities again.

It sounds like so many people are having a rough winter. I'll try blowing some warm air north for you all.

I went white water rafting all day yesterday. The only part of me that is sore is my butt from sitting on the raft (I swear it felt like a rock) but I'm exhausted & burned today!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote