Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default I got the all-clear from my urologist today on my kidney stones!

Yea!! I'm so excited. The one stone that was left couldn't be found via x-ray or u/s so the dr. thinks I was able to break it up on my own. I remember the intense pain I was in after my last u/s there, it lasted all evening. I wonder if that could have been the stone breaking up then. At any rate, we talked prevention, and he told me to avoid red meat and salt. When I told him I don't eat red meat, only chicken, but shared with him about my protein smoothie diet last year, he said, yes that could have done it bc some people are just more sensitive. He said I didn't need to quit them, but cut back and increase the water greatly if I'm going to be drinking those. Well, they were made with water, and I was exercising a bunch then, so I know I was drinking tons of water anyway. So he then went on to tell me about the best way to lose weight and commented that 50% of his new business over the last few years have been "Atkins survivors (!)" and people who have had gbs. He was not too fond of either.

So I feel like a huge weight has been lifted! YEA!!!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #2  

Since I'm low carb (and it's the only thing that works for me, low cal, low fat and I stall forever)...what did he have to say about low carb and "best way"?
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #3  

He wasn't necessarily anti- low carb as long as you are not doing a high-protein plan. His guidance was that you need to focus on calories in and exercise and eat a variety of healthy food. I think there's also a difference between avoiding fast-acting carbs while still getting in healthy complex carbs, vs cutting out entire food groups in an effort to be low carb, and I don't think you're doing that. You eat fruit & carrots, right?

It got me to thinking on the way home, that we all pretty much know what is healthy and what isn't. And if we don't, we should quickly review the new food pyramid - the one that goes up and down, not sideways. I've decided to just stop looking for the latest magic solution of protein this, carb that, low fat, blah blah. Even with lifting weight, I'm sure I can make significant progress w/o going high protein and just eating a balanced plan. I've got such a long way to go that basic healthy eating will take me far. If I should ever become a tight/hard body entering competitions , then I can worry about not getting in enough protein! I'll still do my smoothies, but rather than every day or 2x day, it will just be as a recovery shake from lifting.

Last edited by sportmom; 01-04-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #4  

I eat all the proteins (meat, eggs, fish, poultry, soy) that God made and all the plants, shrubs, herbs etc that God made.

It's my "God diet", LOL. If man made it, I hesitate to include it. I just avoid carbs like breads, rice, potatoes, etc. even the low glycemic ones, because it slows my weight loss. I found keeping carbs <25% and I lose.

I also found keeping protein at 40% and at high levels (.8-1g per desired body weight, 150g give or take) works as well. And I find higher calories works when low carb.

Anyway, glad you're feeling better.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Fran! So glad to know you are feeling better and you got an all clear today. I bet it feels like that weight has been lifted from you. I'll share with you something that my general physician said to me, "Didn't anyone every tell you that getting healthy was bad for ya?"
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #6  

Oh, thanks Lydia!!! Like the people who finally quit smoking to find they're getting sick ALL the time, right?!