Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #1  

Default Some notice, some don't

Merry Christmas, All!

Okay, I'm a little nervous today. Not so much about eating holiday goodies (I'm giving myself the yellow light (eat with caution)), but for seeing family.

See, I can go to the gym and see friends there and have people come up to me and say, "Oh my God, you look terrific!" "You look like you've lost 50lbs!" "Wow, you're face is really slimming" and my favorite compliments about my dedication, commitment and ability.

But I can go to family and either they will say nothing, like it's not happening or they'll say "Hey, I've got a great diet for you to try" right in face of my looking so fit.

So that's on my mind. I don't get how some can see, some can't. At this point, I see it in my body (see my blog pics) and my face (if you PM me with your email, I'll share my face pics, I just don't want that out there on the internet).

Given that my weight has always been everyone else's topic of conversation, it confuses me.

I know, I know...just focus on what you're doing for you.... Argh.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #2  

I just looked at your pictures and you look great! Sometimes people don't want to say something because they don't want to get it wrong or offend you. Sometimes they are jealous that you are doing something that they wish they were doing.

My mom has been on me to lose weight in a "supportive" way for a long time. Well, I haven't seen her since I lost 20 lbs. and we went to her house last night for dinner. She never said a word about my weight loss. And it's not like she didn't know I was losing weight; my sister told her I'd lost a lot.

Enjoy your day with your family, enjoy the holiday, and don't worry about what your family thinks or says. Families are weird.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I hope you had a good time despite this and that they were on good behavior. I think 40 lbs is the magic number when it seems everyone notices, some people just take longer than others. I don't know WHY people offer you diet advice. The worst I got this year was going out and them seeing me order my fav Longhorn meal of chicken, mixed veggies and plain sweet potato, and my sister said kindly, "OK, so if you eat like this all the time, it's no problem. So what's going on?" I didn't find that offensive though, as we were at a group of like 10 and she said it quietly just to me. Luckily, the other sister w/o the filter on her mouth was not in attendance! lol
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

It is frustrating I know. I've lost 70lbs now & almost no one has commented anywhere in my life. But you know, the true reward is having done it. I love looking in the mirror & being surprised it's actually me.

Good work & merry christmas!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #5  

Well, here's the oddity--years ago when I lost 20/25 on LAWL, I came for the holiday dinner and people were stunned and said so. Fast forward, I've lost more than that and it's more noticeable and they say almost nothing. My aunt did say "I got your Xmas newsletter" [which mentions my training] "You look good." But nothing else. So strange.

Yet at the gym, people are constantly commenting on the changes. Some have said it looks like 50lbs, so that's what makes the silence odd to me....
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I think if they've been thru it with you once before, and then you regained, they are sensitive to making a big deal about it. Which is better than what one older man at work did to someone a few years ago. He had lost about 20 lbs and the boss just rolled his eyes and said, "you'll gain it all back." He wasn't really being mean, he was just expressing his frustration with his wife's plight, a diabetic, who had lost and regained the same 50 lbs for 5 times, he had said. And sadly, the guy was RIGHT. BC like many, this guy had lost his 20 lbs by changing his eating and exercise habits, but didn't make a lifestyle change, for him it was short lived. So I think people are afraid to get too excited initially, or have a fear of jinxing you.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote