Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #46  
Mel

Quote:
I'm a bit annoyed that my leg workout last night didn't make me more sore
yep, that's how I feel, too. Time to change something

I found an elliptical that I really like, and it's the same one nelie has The stores around here seem to have a choke hold on a particular brand, so there is nowhere that I could try two or three of the ones I like best in the same place. It basically came down to a way too expensive Precor or a moderately too expensive Lifefitness. Both store were having good sales, and there was no bargaining- the salesman just laughed and said they were sold out, so if I wanted one, pay their sale price and wait for two weeks Considering the mental agony I've been going through, just getting it done was a relief. The offending elliptical was picked up this evening by the inept duo, and now I'm back to my creaky, light resistance Nordic Track until the new one arrives.

I did a quick but hopefully effective leg workout at lunchtime- boy it's hard to NOT get sweaty doing legs The high point of the day was when some guy tried to slip into the leg press between my sets and had to take a couple of plates off. He looked at me sideways for about half an hour

Fran- I hope your evenings are uneventful with no trips to the ER!

Pat- Have fun skating! I was doing that for a while at lunch time. We have an 3 arena rink very close-by. It really is great leg exercise. I'm a speed demon and it's not real safe without pads!

kaw- did you get back into the gym yet?

I'm trying to talk myself into doing full body workouts. It just never seems enough, and I like to be in the gym almost every day for my sanity. What kind of workouts is everyone doing these days?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Oh Mel - you're one of the people that used to scare the bejeebers out of me at IceLine, I see! DD started her skating there and at Wilmington Skating Club, took private lessons at both. I skated in the background while she was taking lessons and tried to copy what they taught her and got pretty good at it - I can do a 2 footed spin. I'm sure we probably crossed paths on the ice without knowing it!! I loved having that and Pancott Gymnastics so close by for the kids. I miss that now. We have all of one ice rink within an hour from us and no real serious gymnastics places short of Gaithersburg, which has a quite good one.

So got my CT scan today. Never had one before - it was quite fun. Like a disney world ride without the long line. Far better than an MRI. Dr thinks it's completely stones, so I'm thankful I'm not looking at some kind of long term problem. Should have results by Weds/Thurs. Is anyone else a kidney stone sufferer with any hints to share?
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #48  
Meg

Default FreeMotion Machines

Good morning!

I went to the gym for the first time in a week and a half (layoff due to DD getting married ) and discovered we now have a lovely row of nine brand new FreeMotion machines!! OMG, it's like Christmas in November! Ballys is in bankruptcy and we never, ever get new equipment, so I'm completely blown away.

So I went down the row and tried all the upper body machines, saving lower body for tomorrow. What I really like is the ability to move the hand positions to take strain off the shoulders, which you can't do with a regular machine. And, of course, you're not moving in a fixed plane so there's a lot more core strength and balance that comes into play than with a traditional machine.

It looks like there's squat, lift (for deadlifts, split squats, and lunges), and step up machines for lower body. I'll poke around the Internet and see what kind of workout I can put together. It's so cool to have new equipment to play with!

So I'm curious if any of you have experience with FreeMotion machines and what you think and what your favorites are?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #49  
Mel

We have the full line of Free Motion machines at my new gym, including the functional trainers. I love them! I rarely use the basic machines since I have so little time in general, but the functional trainers are wonderful. The entire line is such an improvement over basic gym machines. I like the fact that you can also use them in various positions- you don't need to sit on the bench, and there are illustrations for a variety of ways to use each machine. The step-up and squat machines are Try side one-legged step downs holding one cable.

My legs are pretty sore this morning

Have a good one!
(and Fran, that probably was me whipping past you at Ice Line! and then me in a heap on the ice.)

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #50  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Hi Everyone,

Just back from the gym, and boy is it ever nice to be able to go again! I missed the workouts, but also "the regulars." I feel like I spent most of yesterday chit-chatting with them! Today's workout (back) was much better, though. No PRs, but I'm slowly increasing reps on most exercises.

Mel -- I'm still doing a roughly 4-day split, which I do about 5 times a week, give or take. It's a pretty basic split, and I think I've posted it before so I won't again. I have been throwing in a couple of "new" exercises, though -- specifically, weighted Roman chair sit-ups. Fun fun!

As of last night, The Bird is officially GONE. Not sure what we'll do for X-mas dinner this year, but I can pretty much guarantee it won't have wings.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #51  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Maybe I need to head back to my gym to see if they have any new machines...

For my workouts, I'm basically doing a 3 day split. Upper body split into 2 days and then lower body is 1 day. I do feel limited a little bit by my leg workout because I am doing it at home. I do squats, lunges, resistance band stuff, etc but still it is hard to get really sore. I also use the stairs to very my squats and lunges.

Mel - I hope you like your elliptical. I think yours is an updated version compared to mine (they told me they were trying to clear out the older version when I bought mine). Although they told me that the only update in the newer one was the display so I don't know. If you want a kickbutt workout, Extreme Heart Rate is the way to go... that workout kills me every time.

Last edited by nelie; 11-27-2007 at 10:35 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #52  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all!

I'm also back to the gym - feels good. I did my knee exercises last night, along with some other lower body stuff, including the ball-against-the-wall squats! I feel them today, but not like the las time. I finished up my time with a great HIIT workout on the elliptical.

DH has figured out that it's 100 days until our Grand Canyon hiking trip, so he's upped his gym time (of course that's easier when you don't have to be at work 9 hours a day!). I'm still trying to get him back to doing weights. Maybe I'll take home the New Rules to encourage him. He doesn't need to lose anything (quite the opposite) but given his prior osteopenia, he needs to strengthen stuff.

Re: ice skating. I am so not a speed demon! I can go around at a moderate pace. I cannot skate backwards at all, nor can I do any kind of a stop other than either slowing down or hitting the wall! It was still fun, and didn't make my legs nearly as sore as I had anticipated (nor did it bother my knees - yay!) so I'm planning to go on some lunch hours. Like everything else in this town, it's quite close to work, and I can be there in 5 minutes.

Mel and Nelie - I'm jealous of your ellipticals at home. We have no room for one, and we do own a stationary bike, which even though it's really old (20 years?) is a really good one with a flywheel - not just a bike on a stand. DH uses it some, but I almost never do anymore.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #53  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Meg: New gym equipment is very exciting. Our gym received some new cardio equipment last month. I'm still recovering from my test drive...We also have the FreeMotion equipment. It was how I became introduced to strength training almost three years ago. I'm a big fan of it. I noticed right away that it did require some core stabilization. After a few weeks on the equipment I found my posture improved significantly even when I was relaxed and just going about my daily things. You know, sat a little taller, shoulders squared without thinking about it...I also think that it helped me develop great form when I did begin lifting with free weights. Anyway, enjoy them. It's a great thing to incorporate for a little change in the routine.

Mel: So glad that you went with your gut instinct and got rid of the damaged elliptical. No need for negative feelings every time you begin a cardio session with a piece of equipment that has bad memories. Hopefully it won't be a full two weeks but either way you'll be "running" before the holiday hits. Enjoy!

Kaw: Glad you were able to get back to the gym. Sometiimes a little break is good and in your case well deserved even if it wasn't planned. When these things happen I use it as time to get everything else done that I've been putting off because I just have to get to the gym.

Okay, to everyone else. Happy skating everyone. I gotta go DS1 is looking for me at school.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #54  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

All I have to say is planks... ouch. They are painful (not hurt pain just pain) doing them and then create some major soreness.

This week is so off. I need a normal week. DH coming home so late throws me off so much.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #55