Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #1  

Default am i doing this right bfl ???

at our library if a book isn't available we can order it online from another library however, my bfl book wasnt' a book it was a cassette. so
I had to do some investigating on my own on this diet since i really wanted to start today the cassette didn't really talk about what foods/amts. so if someone could please let me know if I am on the right track:

for breakfast i had:

3 egg whites
1 slice canadian bacon
water

snack:

apple
13 half walnuts

lunch:
1/2 ww wrap
chicken breast
chopped up lettuce
no fat mayo
water

snack:
apple
lo-fat cheese wedge
water

dinner:

grilled chicken breast
brown rice
string beans

haven't had my after dinner snack yet....

does this seem right??? I feel the meals are kind of boring however, i am not hungry at all. one more thing i am bad but i don't like milk or yogurt will this be a problem??

thanks
cheryl
dis2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #2  
Mel

Milk and yogurt are actually not BFL friendly foods, so you are ok there

If you are doing the original bfl, the basic rule is a protein (lean meat, egg whites, low fat cottage cheese) and a carbohydrate at every meal. The carb should be "fist" sized and the protein (other than eggs) should be "palm" sized. All the green vegies you want- but peas and lima beans are not green vegies. They count as a carbohydrate.

So let's look at your meals through a BFL lens:
Quote:
or breakfast i had:

3 egg whites
1 slice canadian bacon
water
OK, you had 2 protein sources here and no carb. Add a piece of fruit or a half cup of oatmeal (unsugared, cooking in water. You can use sugar-free syrup if you aren't opposed to artifical sweeteners).

Or make a vegie egg white omelette. Use more like 5-6 egg whites. have some oatmeal or a piece of 100% whole grain toast with it.

Quote:
snack:

apple
13 half walnuts
Technically, walnuts are are not bfl friendly as a protein source. They contain way too much fat. 13 walnuts is about 1 ounce: here's the nutritional information: 18 grams of fat, 4 grams of carbohydrates and 4 grams of protein all for 185 calories. Contrast that with 2/3 of a cup of lowfat cottage cheese: 119 calories, 2 grams of fat, 4 grams of carbs and 18 grams of protein. Walnuts are really NOT a protein!

Quote:
lunch:
1/2 ww wrap
chicken breast
chopped up lettuce
no fat mayo
water
looks good!

Quote:
snack:
apple
lo-fat cheese wedge
water
hmmmmm...it's OK, but you already had an apple. How about a different fruit?
Technically low fat cheese (with the exception of cottage) doesn't have enough protein.

Quote:
dinner:

grilled chicken breast
brown rice
string beans
YAY! add some more vegies!

Quote:
haven't had my after dinner snack yet....
Here's where I got in trouble doing bfl. Adding another full mini-meal of a carb and a protein was just too much food for me. This might be a good place to put a small protein smoothie made with a few berries.

Good luck! If you look at the "stickies" at the top of this forum, there is a recipe thread. Not everything in there is BFL friendly, but when we started this forum, most of us were doing BFL. You might get some good ideas there

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #3  

Hi Mel,

thanks for all of your help....guess i didn't really do that good on my 1st day
however, the way you answered my questions i will use what you corrected me as a guide... I am starting to get a headache now (pepsi drinker here) I really want to kick the soda habit getting used to water isn't easy but I know it is good for you hopefully this will pass soon...

thanks
cheryl
Old 10-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

dis2cruise
I don't know if you are allowed to have this on the plan you are following.

I was drinking about 6 cans of mountain dew a day. 50% of my calories were from pop. When I decided I wanted and, the doc said i could, lose weight. I knew the pop had to go. I started with getting rid of one can of pop and substituting it with a bottle of tea. Less calories and carbs and less caffeine. Did this until the pop was gone. Now I mix that one bottle ( 16 oz ) of sugared tea 32 Carbs with a bottle ( 16 oz ) of unsweetened tea. That 16oz is now only 16 Carbs. In another month or so I will do that again. Sooner or later I will get rid of the carbs. I have started making that unsweetened tea non caffeine. By the time I get rid of the Carbs from the tea will also get rid of the caffeine.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 AM   #5  
Mel

No, that's not on plan, but it works! I'm a huge proponent of doing what works. Caffeine withdrawal is tough- I did it and personally, I've gone back to drinking coffee with a small splash of almond milk. 1 mug of coffee a day seems to have no effect on my weightloss, maintenance or health. But it's good for my mental health!

I'd really try to get rid of the sodas, tho!

Mel
Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #6  
Rennie

Mel
I would never want to get anyone off plan. I just thought that might help. Getting off carbs and caffeine isn't easy for some people.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #7  

no soda/junkie drinks for 2 days now just plain old water actually its not that bad... who knew....my head hurts now and then
but keeping up the good work

eating a little better (went to the store today and picked up more good foods) going to do my cardio work out soon once my kids get home from school since i pick them up and i didn't have time today to get the workout done before.

cheryl

Last edited by dis2cruise; 10-10-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #8  
Rennie

dis
Good for you the headaches will pass. Depending on how much caffeine you took in your doc might want you to cut down slowly. Mine did
Old 10-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #9  
Mel

Shy- I wasn't accusing you of derailing her plan! Cold turkey is tough...I was agreeing with you

Cheryl- good job! day 2 without caffeine was the hardest for me. I really don't see the necessity of giving up coffee or tea in moderation. But unless you drink it black or with just a splash it's the stuff you put in it that racks up the calories.

Mel
Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #10  
Rennie

Mel

Thanks, this will sure be a big step for me.

The doc told me when I was ready there was a pill she could give me that helps. I have seen the patches and the this and the that. I have to wonder. If I put my mind to stop smoking, like I have put my mind to losing weight, do I need any of those things, or can I do it on my own? Just not sure. The pill might be nice but who wants to take that thing for 3 to 9 months. I have been told the actual nicotine the body's craves only lasts 2 weeks, after that is all habit of putting the thing in your mouth. Maybe the patches would be better. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #11  
Mel

Shy- I have no idea how to help you stop smoking- I thought we were talking about caffeine I smoked for about 2 years in colege but just stopped when I wanted to. Obviously I wasn't addicted to nicotine, but I sure had a problem with what to do with my HANDS in social situations Talk to your doc.... Good luck!

Mel
Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #12  
Rennie

Mel
The caffeine was easy just little at a time. 3 months is a long time to get off the pop but it is over and done and easier than I thought. Maybe I worry to much about stopping smoking. Might be easier than I think. Heck if I can lose weight and I thought it would never happen. I can do anything