Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #1  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

S/C/G: 162/152/135

Height: 5'5"

Default I have a job interview @ the gym: any personal trainers here?

I have a job interview tomorrow morning at the gym I go to. My job will be to sign up new customers, give the member any help they need, and things like that. (I have some experience in this already )I'm excited about this because it's my desire to be a personal trainer. I would love to have a job that I can be passionate about. I want to work primarily with women. I can totally relate with how hard it is to get in shape, while overcoming daily obsticals life brings.

I looked into Personal raining certifications on line. Does anyone know which are reputable and which are just scams?

After archiving this certificate, I want to go on and pursue a certification in nutrition as well.

Any thought or advice?

Last edited by wannaBsize7; 08-22-2007 at 10:19 AM.
wannaBsize7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #2  
Meg

Hi Wanna! I'm a NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) certified personal trainer and Mel is certified by ISSA and perhaps another organization. We have some other trainers floating around too.

There are probably five or so well-recognized certifications that most gyms will accept: ACE, NASM, ACSM, NSCA, and ISSA (I'm probably leaving one out!) When I was deciding which course to take, I talked to various trainers about what was best and decided to go with NASM.

Your best bet is to talk to the head trainer at the gym where you're going to work and see which ones are first, accepted and second, which are highly regarded.

At my gym, we had several people who started at the front desk, got certified, and moved onto personal training. So your plan makes lots of sense. You'll be able to interact with the trainers, watch them in action, and probably work out with them.

Good luck to you!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #3  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

Thanks, thats very encouraging
Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

I just wanted to pop in and say GOOD LUCK WannaB! Please keep us posted as you pursue this!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #5  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

Ok, I sure will I am emotionally exhausted. I just went shopping for something to wear for the interview. The girl that works there said jeans would be fine with a nice top and nice shoes. I hate to shop for myself, when I'm not happy with me I felt fat in everything. This whole month went down hill as far as BFL goes. I'm starting from the beginning Monday. I think the most frustrating part is that I only need to lose 20lbs or so, why is it so hard :S
Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #6  
Mel

Pick yourself up and get started. Meg's list of certifications is good- but I'd leave ISSA off and add ACSM if you have an undergrad degree in hard sciences or any kind of health care. They may have changed that requirement in the last few years. I chose ISSA because I didn't know better and the head trainer at my gym just said "I don't care as long as you are certified". Not all gyms feel that way. I learned what I need to know, but learned far more from training with a fantastic trainer for a while. Continuing ed and being in an environment with others who are passionate about fitness and nutrition is vital to learning and staying current.

One of the slightly infuriating things that I found to be true is that no matter what my fitness level, even female clients with 100 pounds to lose want their trainer to be thin. If I was maintaining at slightly above contest level body fat, I'd have clients in droves, male and female. No matter how many and what kind of certifications you have, if you are in a regular gym environment, you have to look like you walk the walk. So...there's your motivation

Good luck!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #7  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

My interview went great!

When I went to the gym yesterday, the girl that encouraged me to apply said that Sue (the lady that gave me the interview) said that she thought I would be great for the job! She said she would just check my references and get back to
me. I told her that i was interested in personal training, and that I even thought about pursuing a degree. She said "don't bother, just get your certification" So I'm really excited about that I feel confident to train others. I have had some wonderful friends/trainers, who are also competition body builders. One lady, but mostly men. Knowledg is not my short coming, its just prioritizing. I also feel that others will feel that they can relate to me. I sincerialy want others to achieve there goals to become fit, and I know how hard it is to do it alone. I want to get myself in shape, and then go forth with the certification. That should give me enough time to be comfortable with the new job. But anyway, I am digressing here. Sue was very up beat, almost intimidating at first. She was about 95Lbs, and in great shape. But I felt very modivated after talking to her, which is the point of her energy, right?

MEL, I KWYM on so many levels. I know I will drop the weight now, for one reason in particular. This job will give me the daily routine that I so disparately need. That is my biggest stumbling block, Time Management! And I understand that how you look, is a reflection of the fact that you practice what you preach. We are our own advertisement. But its sad that some people dont realize that you can't walk around in competition status, and they don't realize the women on the magazine covers are probably starving and dehydrated before thier photo shoot
Old 08-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #8  
Meg

How exciting, Wanna! Good luck and let us know what happens.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #9  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

WannaB I just know you are going to be great in motivating others!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #10  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

Thanks Meg and Lydia227
Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #11  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

Update! I got the job, and so far so good. I see great potential here

Last edited by wannaBsize7; 09-06-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

YAY! Congrats and getting the job!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

That's great! Congrats!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #14  
Mel

Congratulations! What will you be doing? Have you picked and started on a certification yet?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #15  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

Thanks and thanks I will be selling memberships, and just running the front desk/office work, light cleaning. Just things like that. I haven't gone for the certification yet. The Gym has a preference on which program you use, and it cost $500. So I will have to make some $$$$ first

I am loving it so far. It is just the boost I needed. I love encouraging others to a new lifestyle!! Everywhere I go, I mention the gym, and hand out 5day passes. For the most part I get such great responses. It makes me feel great!! The gym is relatively new, so there is lots of potential to getting new members sign up!

It is just myself and another girl running the gym. (Othere then the owner and manager that pop in to check on us) That just gives me a rush, knowing that it is up to us to "sink or swim" IYKWIM. I'll have to be creative to get people excited.The girl that I work with is supper sweet! I know I'm gonna love it

Last edited by wannaBsize7; 09-13-2007 at 07:57 PM.