Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Default Protein & Snacks

Hi all,

My goal is 150g of protein a day, on a 2000-2500 calorie diet. I *never* make it. I eat protein with every meal and I usually come in around 100g per day. I知 thinking that the only way I値l ever get as much protein as I want is if my snacks start to be protein-based too. For those of you who observe these things, what kinds of high-protein snacks do you eat? I was doing the protein shake for a while, but my blender broke, and anyway, I知 not thrilled with the calorie-fullness ratio on those.

Suggestions?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #2  
Mel

My "snacks" pretty much look like mini-meals. Lots of cottage cheese, sometimes shakes but not as often as I used to, egg white pancakes that I precook, a small portion of ground turkey chili....

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #3  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I'm surprised that on 2000-2500 cals, you aren't well over 100g protein per day. A chicken breast is only about 300 cals and 54 g. protein. Do that twice a day, once for lunch and once for dinner, and you're already around 110g. Add some cottage cheese, eggs, yogurt, or whatever for breakfast and you're about there. Maybe your carbs are too high?

I also think 100g per day is enough, even for body building. At 143 pounds, that's easily in the oft-recommended range of 1.2-1.8 g/kg body weight. But you didn't ask for my opinion on this.

On snacks: besides the obvious of "snacking" on leftover meats... cottage cheese. Nuts. Tofu jerky. Regular jerky, though it's hard to find any that isn't packed with salt & preservatives. Tuna shakes. (Sorry, old joke from the days of usenet.)

I do the protein shake thing, but I'm shooting for more like 1200 cals/day. I don't use a blender for the shakes, because life's too short to clean a blender. Designer Whey (tm) is one brand that mixes just fine in a shaker bottle, or even with a fork. (Adding the water slowly seems to minimize the undissolved whey pooplets.)

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Kaw, I think too many of my calories come from alcohol

The other part of the problem might be that I really only have 2 meals a day, plus many snacks (and usually a goodly calorific treat, too) Just this week I've started having a proper breakfast as well (egg whites in some form) to see if that helps me to cut down on the afternoon snacking. I also tend to get most of my protein from egg whites, fish and shrimp--I hardly ever eat chicken because I just like fish a bit better. But you're right, if I switched to chicken instead of fish for my lunch, I'd increase my protein quite a bit..

You're probably also right that I don't really need the whole 150g; it's not like I'm weak and starving with 100g, but I like to have something to strive for
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #5  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

Good suggestions already - took most of mine! I will sometimes nibble on beef jerky between meals (less than an ounce, but it's SUPER SPICY and almost all meat so it lasts awhile and is filling). Being completely ignorant before my diet change, I was pleased to realize how much protein is in dairy, so if you mix a little Fiber One cereal or fruit in with yogurt/cottage cheese there's ~11g right there. I also sometimes mix an egg white in with my oatmeal (before cooking), which DOES take some getting used to, but I find the fluffier texture interesting - especially since I'm getting bonus protein in the deal.

Which reminds me! As soon as I get a blender I'm going to have to try putting egg substitute in my shakes. I have vague memories of delicious, frothy milkshakes in my youth with raw egg in them (I know, so bad!).

Also, I've found a vanilla-flavoured whey protein powder I enjoy and I mix some in with all of my baked goods, yogurt/cottage cheese, cereal (talk about yummy milk), oatmeal, etc.

Good luck with it!
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I was shocked to see on a pkg of Thomas' bagels, that a white bagel has 11g of protein these days. I know there's a ton of carbs and it's still a 4/1 or 5/1 carb/prot ratio, but still, 11 grams in a bagel. Wow. Does this group have any opinions on that? If I could just eat cottage cheese on a bagel, I'd be set!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #7  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

Well, it's not cottage cheese, but my FF cream cheese has 2.5g protein per tablespoon, so that's something! Also, 2 tablespoons of chunky peanut butter has ~8g of protein and some fiber - just make sure you get a healthy, natural one and watch your servings, because as we all know it's also got a good amount of fat.

Luckily, it's the "good" fat!

I love bagels to death, but it's been drilled into me that bagels are the anti-diet food because they're so darn carb-dense. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna have one every now and then!
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #8  
Mel

Personally, I think bagels and anything are very slippery ground. They are much more carb dense and caloric than I'd want for either a snack or a meal. They are a wonderful treat, tho!

Here's a protein muffin recipe I've posted quite a few places in the past. The nutritional info is at the bottom of the post.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Mel - I just looked at your muffin recipe and printed it. I plan to make these tomorrow after going to the store for ingredients. When you say 12 small muffins, do you mean normal cupcake size or the mini muffin size? I guess I could divide the nutritional content by how ever many muffins I end up making. I am math challenged... can't you tell??
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

When I"m short on protein I chug one of the protein power drinks - powder and water - and plug it into fitday and it ups the protein a lot.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Do you like Turkey, someone on this site buys a hunk of turkey from Sam's, I found it at Safeway too - it's precooked, but I've put it on the grilled or fried it in olive oil just a bit to have with veggies. Also it's quick and easy to cut up for salads, sandwiches, everything. Turkey has something in it that makes you "happy" too...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #12  
Mel

The 12 muffins are regular cupcake size
Old 07-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Thanks!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

I absolutely agree with what all Mel has said. And I'd pass on the bagels due to the carb ratio. I make up hard boiled eggs and toss the yokes for snacks. It really helps with midday hunger!

Have you also tried protein pancakes? I've made them with cottage cheese and they're wonderful.

I use 1/2 C cottage cheese, 1/2 C batter, 2 Egg whites, some water, splenda, vanilla, blueberries. Cook like regular pancakes. Yummm!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I use 1/2 C cottage cheese, 1/2 C batter, 2 Egg whites, some water, splenda, vanilla, blueberries. Cook like regular pancakes. Yummm!
1/2 C batter? Like regular pancake batter???

I use 1/3 cup each of cottage cheese and oatmeal, and 3 egg whites. After it's blended, I add water until it's the consistency I want - usually pretty thin as (a) I don't like thick pancakes and (b) you can eat more pancakes (it's a psychological thing). I don't add sweetner, but serve with fruit and sometimes some plain yogurt.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote