Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Are some people just naturally strong?

I haven't weight trained in a long time, at least a year and was never really serious about it before, just home dumbells. However I came from a family of top athletes and was one myself in high school in volleyball and horses but that was long ago. I've got some videos like Kathy Smith, and some books with routines and all of the beginner stuff is so beginner to me - I'm doing 15-20 lbs in just two months with my legs and I'm still not really getting tired, and I'm keeping my arms at 8-10 lbs just because of my bigger shoulders as they are. I'm just wondering if I'm naturally stronger then most or what? And why that is. If I didn't have the extra weight - flab in my belly and upper body - I'd be more tall and thin then muscular in build... I read somewhere that muscles have memory if you worked out before and that might be it, that I skipped over all the beginner stuff and am ready to pop in the more advanced dvds here soon. Of course I'm proud of my progress and can already see a difference - especially in my posture - and of course I'm wondering what it'd be like to be really fit and do some minor body building.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 AM   #2  
Mel

Yes, I think some people, especially with an athletic background, are naturally stronger. I lift MUCH heavier than most women I know, but am smaller and older.

If the beginner routines aren't much of a challenge, by all means, move on!
Congratulations

Mel
Old 07-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/126/117

Height: 5'3

I agree. I've never been athletic, but my body can develop muscle tone very quickly. I don't know why, but it is the one thing about my body I feel lucky to have, so I'll take it! (The only drawback is that my thighs will always look a little chunky as a result since I'm a shorty.)
Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I guess it is a good thing to be able to tone up this quickly, and to be able to quickly move to heavy weights - I don't get the books and articles for beginners on getting 2 and 5 lb dumbells to start with, I bought the 5 lb ones and gave them to a neighbor, didn't use them at all. Even in days when I wasn't lifting weights I could pick up more moving boxes or whatever then anyone would think, even in my so called "skinny fat" 20s. I used to say I look stronger then I am, and obviously I am, but I don't know why because I don't look muscular, I have stick legs and I'm flabby on top right now. There must be muscle under there, that's a good sign. So maybe this will mean if I train my abs hard I'll see a difference there too, I haven't been doing much ab work yet. I'm just happy to be feeling more athletic again these days with a little muscle showing after a few months. I just keep seeing pictures of some of the fit women in magazines, wondering if I could build up arms like that - back in high school I had them and they were quite cool - not as muscular as Madonna but in that direction. Rather then hiding my arms and tummy maybe one day I'll show them off again... little mini dream here at 39 years old - or perhaps a nearing 40 deal that I have only 7 months to get fit as I'm not turning 40 fat...
Old 06-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #5  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

Found this old thread on Google! But I was wondering the same thing... I've been weight training for 3 weeks every other day and am up to 15 and 20 lb dumbbells. I'll do more reps with lighter weights to work more on my stabilizers though. I don't know what a normal rate really is. I'm completely new at this!

Edit: I do lift 60 lb buckets every other day at work, which wasn't easy at first. lol I guess that explains some of it....

Last edited by Astrild; 06-19-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

What horsey said about muscle memory above is probably right. I used to be a martial artist, and i retained a lot (but not all) of that muscle 'memory' in that my body was easily trained into good form when doing squats and lifts. I think half of the effort is maintaining good form, but when your muscles start to 'know' how to approach lifting the load you're working with, it becomes easier and easier.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

There's muscle memory.

There's also other factors (food, sleep, stress), not to mention EFFORT! Some women simply never put in the real effort required, and some do. They progress faster. Many people don't push themselves (even thought they think they do).
Old 06-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

...and, then, of course, there is testosterone and some of us have more than others.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #9  
Junk Warrior

S/C/G: 275/241/180

Height: 5'10

Ive always been pretty strong. Ive also been very tall and come from a athletic father and a not so athletic mother. Muscle memory I do believe makes it easier. Even after not working out for months I seem to get back into shape pretty quickly. I can easily carry as much as an average man. I also believe a lot comes from your genes. I'm German and Norwegian... sturdy build.

Last edited by BowandArcher; 06-19-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #10  

Sacha, my trainer has told me that most people do NOT put effort into their workouts. He says that many of them think that they are making an effort, but they are not. Just exactly what you have said.

I started watching women at the gym and notice the same thing. They sit on the machines, texting, looking around to see who's looking, etc. There are only a women who really sweat.

I saw a great t-shirt slogan: "sweat is the new black."
Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #11  

Go heavy or go home!!! WooHoo for you!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #12  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas View Post
I saw a great t-shirt slogan: "sweat is the new black."
WHERE!? Did you find this? I must have one.

Cafe Press...? Off to go check.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #13  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Like others said, I think it's a combination of factors.

- Most women (and men too!) just don't push themselves. At my gym I'm one of the only few people who actually really sweat and push myself (I know not everyone sweats a ton but I have a feeling that at least some of the other people should be doing that too if they're pushing themselves! ). There's only one other woman there who I see really lifting heavy/pushing herself and I think she's a professional volleyball player, sooo....

- Genetics play a role. I have a friend of mine who's a natural runner, very thin. Definitely athletic in that sense but can't lift much to save her life. Then there's me and I'm prone to bulk (as is DH). I have an aunt who qualified for the Olympics and I was always an athlete and have done well with lifting. My daughter is the exact same way and is just a natural when it comes to all things athletic, she's really strong for a 2 year old!

- I'm not sure about muscle memory but maybe there is something too it? On the biggest loser normally the former athletes do well but it might also be something to do with genetics so I think it's hard to separate those too.

As for you, definitely go up in weights! check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I think those exercises push you a lot more and they're OK if you're still learning the ropes too. Right now I'm using about 24lbs in each hand for dumbell presses and that works pretty well for me, I couldn't imagine getting much of a benefit from 2-5lbs weights!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #14  

"Sweat is the new black" I saw it from a distance on someone and didn't ask her where she got it. I thought I would just have one made.

Have you seen the one that says "Your workout is my warmup" ? Need that one too!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

This thread is absurd. OF COURSE genetics play a role. Ever watch the NBA? Does anyone think that the ratio of white to black players has anything to do with white athletes not working out hard enough or getting enough practice time in? Likewise - some people are going to be able to build muscle faster than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
I'm not sure about muscle memory but maybe there is something too it? On tbe biggest loser normally the former athletes do well but it might also be something to do with genetics so I think it's hard to separate those too.
Muscle memory is real.
Closed Thread