Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #1  
Mel

Default The Chat-Check In Thread February 1-15, 2007

Yay!!! It's February! Yipeee!!! How did the January challenges go?

Mel
Old 02-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Good Morning Everyone

Real quick post. Mel, happy to report I've only got one more pound and a half till I'm back to my preholiday weight so I call my January challenge a success.

FRU: Good job with the choccies girl. And, you can do one handed pushups? ! I'm so not worthy.

Had my first physical therapy session last night. Warmed up on the elliptical for five minutes. After I was finished my therapist walked over to me and said "Ya know, you are the only one I've seen who makes that thing run the way I do. She then told me how her girlfriends make fun of her for being the CardioManiac. Now she knows she's not alone. Thing is, she does it at home while watching TV. I have to do mine in public

So after the warm up we started doing stretches and we were interrupted by a local news camera crew who wanted to do some videotaping. They asked my therapist if she had any runners this evening and she demurely smiled and said "Well yes, she is." Yeah. Right. I ran for two months last year and have been recovering for the past ten months from it. Anyway, I agreed to let them film some of our physical therapy session. Now I can proudly say, "I'm not a runner, I just play one on TV."

Have a great morning everyone!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Happy, strong February everyone!

Who else thinks that Lydia is just as cute as a button!?

I think the only goal I had for January was to get back 'in it'. Which I have. Now I think I need to graduate -again- to a three or four day split. Upper and lower is giving me the third day blues cuz I'm still sore. And one day of just cardio is blech to me.

There's a little planning I can do with my second cup of coffee.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Lydia. You are a TV Star. Maybe you will get nominated for an Emmy for "Most Gorgeous Star in a Newscast while Working Out at the Gym" I'm sure that's a category!

Good job Fru on the restraint. And good luck tonight with sparring. I hope your partner makes you work off all your carb loading and gives you the type of session you like.

Morning Melly Mel! What's on the agenda for today? Hauling any F-150's around the parking lot today or is today a light day. And we are holding you to getting us that tape. It's in writing - you promised!

Pat your trip sounds like it was fan-friggin-tastic!!!! I would LOVE to hike up a volcano! Your last day of spa treatments also seem like they were the cat's meow for you. I disagree with Mel though. I'd rather see the bugs than be held hostage by a moose!

This AM I decided to do a double-dose of Paula Abdul workouts. I have both of her dance tapes (yes, I'm embarassed to admit it) so I did the warm up and cardio on one and then the cardio and cool down on the other so I'd have a full hour of shaking my groove thang around the living room. Tonight DD and I are having a do your hair and nails while playing the Sims game night. Who knows? Maybe we'll wash and put a bow on Midnight too, since she's also a girl.

Good morning and Happy February to the rest of my LWL Sistahs!!! Make these 28 days COUNT!!!!

Tiki
Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #5  

hi LWL,

Just checking in to say hello.

Frus - I stand in awe to...ONE armed pushups???? Not even on my planning for 2009!

Exercise is not happening this week so far, I'm still busy assembling the elliptical. I did not finish it last night as i had to go to a school meeting. This afternoon, i am so exhausted I'm just going to crawl into my bed now with a cup of coffee and do the crossword & the sudoku in the newspaper.

Tomorrow I'll be back!!!

have a great day all,
Rabbit
Old 02-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #6  

hi Tiki,
Seems we were just posting at the same time! have a great 'girls night" with DD!

Rabbit
Old 02-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Tiki you're bonkers! Takes one to know one though! I would love a Paula Abdul workout DVD - is it her songs? Opposites Attract? Does the cartoon cat make a guest appearance?

Lydia - A runner on TV!!! Now that's officially a RUNNER!

YP1 is talking me into doing a marathon in October... I've been getting slightly excited today and I have bought some new jogging headphones and a camelbak water bottle! I treated myself to 2 gym tops yesterday too - methinks this is just an excuse to buy more pink gym wear!

Anyways, I won't decide on the marathon until I have figured out when I will get black belt - I'm thinking the latest I want to get black belt is August-ish, so then I have August, Sept and most of Oct to ramp up the training mileage and I can skip a class or two of kickboxing a week. I will know tonight! I've just got to talk to my instructor.

I think one-arms are easier than straight two arms - since you need to take your feet wide to balance properly and for some reason wide stance push ups are cake, whereas narrow full push-ups are hard
Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Pat - Oh my!! Was the volcano the arenal one? Tell us (me) more about it I am jealous and I'll probably grill you with questions when I start thinking about things.

DH and I are 90% sure that we will be going to Costa Rica this fall. The vacation we are thinking of taking includes 5 to 8 miles of hiking every day. Are we crazy? Yes! My problem is I want to train for it but I am going to have difficulty until the weather warms up so I'm going to try really hard to get on the elliptical every day. Of course the elliptical doesn't equate to hiking but it is something. Last night, I did nearly 3 miles on the elliptical in 35 minutes. I kept just thinking about rainforests and it kept me on there but 35 minutes is really my max because I can only do cardio so long before I get bored. DH and I are talking about getting a tv/dvd combo for the exercise room so that may help. DH and I also took a half mile walk or so last night and we nearly froze to death. So we will definitely have to wait until spring to start hiking. It really won't be too much of a problem, we have done 5 mile hikes before and usually we do them fairly quick. The vacation hikes I think are more leisurely where you hike, stop and look, hike, stop and have lunch, hike, stop and look, etc. I'm a little scared though, I don't want to be the fat girl that gets left behind. Do people normally have to train for their vacations? I don't think so

So last night, I did upper body weights, 35 minutes on the elliptical with the approximate pace of 5 miles per hour and DH and I took a little walk as well.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Nelie, I bet you will be better equipped for the hikes than some of the skinnies. I kid you not.

Lydia, too cool of a story about being happened upon by a news crew! They may be willing to send you a tape of the segment if you ask, but if not, make sure you tape it for posterity. I have one of me being interviewed for a local cable news story and it's a hoot to watch now!

Pat, sounds like soooo much fun!! I'm not really the adventurous type but loved looking at the pictures. You seem to be having more fun in the raft than SOME of the other people tho - lol!!

My January challenge went well. Turns out I lost about 8.8 lbs in January, so I'm pretty happy with that.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #10  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy February gals!

Yes, I met my January goal - I got my lazy behind back in the gym - nearly every weekday last month! The only days I missed were the 1st and then one or two days for early morning conference calls. I've even started getting to the gym nearly a 1/2 hour earlier, just so I can fit more in each morning! So, a pretty good January for me!

For February I'm hoping to finally see the scale move a bit, and I'll continue on with weeks 3-6 of Jillian's program. It gets tougher every 2 weeks, and considering what a challenge weeks 1-2 were for me, it should be interesting. This program is really taking me out of my BFL comfort level - doing all sorts of body-weight exercises I would never have done before, let alone in public! LOL - you should see me doing tricep bench dips! Heck, maybe I might even try a 1-armed pushup some day - maybe next year! Good for you Frus!

Pat - your vaction sounds like it was great. Glad you had such a good experience. And welcome back to the cold!

Tiki - yes, do tell about those Paula workouts - not sure I remember them!

Hope everyone is having a great Thursday!
Cindy
Old 02-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #11  
Mel

nelie said:
Quote:
Do people normally have to train for their vacations?
Well, I try to get my clients to do that! I keep toting in brochures on biking vacations, walking vacations, hiking vacations, sea kyaking vacations...so far I have 3 couples training for active vacations this summer.

My last two real vacations were hiking in Yosemite and biking in France- both fairly vertical, so yes- I trained for my vacations
Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all!

Yes, Nelie, it was Arenal. The hike goes up on one side to a nice overlook of the lake. I think the path goes further too, but we quit there. Training is a great idea since parts of CR, like Arenal, are over 2,000 ft, which makes a difference to those of us who live at sea level all the time. I was working on my pictures again last night, and have the flowers and the zipline ones posted here:http://www.kodakgallery.com/MyGaller...D=226634610110 Hmmmm, I don't know how to just make words for the link.....

Lydia - congrats on being a TV star!

Frus - you are just one bundle of energy. I'm sure you'll be out there doing at least a half marathon, if not the full. How do you take a train to Amsterdam? (Did I read that here or on UK thread?) Isn't there some pesky water in the way - England being on an island and all?

Mel - active vacations are the only kind my DH likes. He's going to visit his family in New England in May, and ending by taking a week-end long class in operating steam-driven antique farm equipment and already he's moaning about "sitting around" on the family part.

I think I mentioned that I signed up with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team-in-Training to walk a half marathon in late June. I did it as much to keep myself on track as to raise $$ for them, since as soon as I get busy I tend to "forget" to leave time for exercise. So I was at the gym last night, for I might add, a really puny effort on the elliptical (my excuse was that my iPod's battery was dead ) so I'm going again tonight - with a charged battery! The team only trains together officially once a month right now, which will be Sunday morning at 9. It's at a sports center about 1/2 hour away (and which charges $2.50 to use their walking track!) I'm anxious to meet the other team members though and maybe hook up with some near me to do some workouts.

We are over 7.5 hours of daylight now and it's light when I leave work. And the temperatures are in the low 20's - perfect for winter. If it weren't so icy/snowy underfoot, I'd be walking outdoors. Unfortunately no one plows the bike trails.

have a great day everyone!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #13  
Just Me

Mel - Are you considered normal though? Also if you have any information on hiking vacations, feel free to let me know. The place we are looking at is http://www.walkingvacations.com/ They have lots of trips we like including Spain, Morocco, Ireland, New Zealand, Italy, etc

Pat - Your link doesn't work for me! I think it may be personalized to you.

I was reading links on how to train for a hike and basically the answer is to hike so that is what we will do.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Okay, try this....

http://www.kodakgallery.com/MyGaller...3_hom_sign_ret

Edit: it works!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #15  
Just Me

Hmm it doesn't work for me unless i'm doing something wrong. It asks me to sign in.
Closed Thread