Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/236/130

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs down anyone have gastric bypass years ago?

hi i had surgery 19 years ago. i have gained it all back with complications? anyone else out there with problems?
beautyinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi and

I have not had GBP, but just wanted to welcome you to 3FC's. I'm so sorry you gained the weight back with complications Do you mind me asking what happened?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #3  

Default Gaining it all back

My daughter in law had gastric bypass in 1990 --over the years she has gained it all back. Her mother had the surgery a year before she did, and just this last few years has gained it all back.

They did not have any support after surgery, were just told to eat less food.

So, it can happen. But I think now days, after the surgery, there is so much information and support, that I dont think this happens so much.

I wonder how much follow up is done after the surgery. There was no follow up on them, only regular doctor visits.

Chris
tucsonchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #4  

nice to meet you thanks for the reply. i finally met a dr that explained the surgery and complications from it. but due to how messed up my body became after it he said he would not recommend any other surgery.i almost died after 2 surgeries from the complications of thye bypass. now im just trying to get the lbs off. i still cant eat much, but cant exercise much either from rheumatoid arthritis.any ideas??? im open for any help at this point.
annette
Old 09-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #5  

thanks for the reply.i have had heart problems,ulcers, and a pancreatic mass that the will not remove due to other surgeries from the bypass.too dnagerous per 3 mds.now i have developed rheumatoid arthritis and have pain all the time.and cant take the usual meds because of past bleeding ulcers.and anemia.nice to meet you
annette
Old 09-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

My heart goes out to you. I'm glad there is better support now than there was then. Do you have any advice for those of us who are just beginning on this journey? I can't image how dissappointing it must be to go through all this and then gain the weight back. Much love and peace to you.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:28 PM   #7  

thanks magi..
the only thing i can even imagine at this point to help is to treasure you body.we only have one and once it starts to fall apart its hard to get it back.
i see that you have lost a tremodous amonut of weight? how did you do this??
good luck on your journey...
Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks. I had bypass about a year ago...will be on Oct 12. Truthfully I don't know how I lost it so fast. I'm on protein shakes again. This is the second time my doctor has put me back on them to slow down the weight loss. I'm hoping it stops soon. My doctor says there's no reason to be concerned at this point. I'm still within the healthy range for my height. Sooo... we'll see.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:23 PM   #9  
I'm a loser, baby!

S/C/G: 314/198/155

Height: 5'10"

My SIL had it done almost 2 years ago. She has a hard time going to the bathroom. I'm sorry that the surgery is affecting you now. I hope you get well soon.
pgray1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

oh my. oh dear. beauty - RA is a nasty illness, but i KNOW [from experience] that there are ways to exercise with it. talk to your doctor - it might take some time with a physical therapist, but there are things you can do. slowly, with time.

you're not out to run a marathon, ya know!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #11  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Annette,
I also have RA-was diagnosed in 1999. I understand the constant pain, but thankfully my dr. has me on a drug therapy program that is great--very few flares & rarely pain. I take methotrexate, celebrex, folic acid & inject enbrel weekly.

Exercise--walking works best for me, but my exercise coach @ the WL Clinic suggested that I get some pilates & yoga videos or walking videos & the days when I have problems with my feet, ankle & knees to sit in a chair & go thru the video doing what I can. In that way, my upper body is getting a workout & is better than not exercising. Have I put it into practice--NO. I am so resistant to wanting to exercise but know that I need to change that mindset.

Hang in there with the RA, get a good reputable Rheumatologist and be honest with the dr. about the pain. I have moved several times & always look for a dr. that teaches wannabe drs. & still sees patients. I've found they tend to keep up with the current developments with the disease a little better.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #12  

Hi! I had Gastric Stapling in 1986, so it's been 20 years. I got pregnant just after the WLS, so I only lost about 50 pounds. However, about 9 years post WLS, I was able to get going again by controlling my eating and beginning an exercise program. Having a smaller pouch helped with the eating, but I had to learn to control portions and cut out all snacking. I have maintained a healthy weight for more than 8 years now.

I feel for you in your situation! It doesn't sound as though you can really make your surgery work for you at this point due to all the complications. However, if you ask your doctor for diet and exercise recomendations, it might get you moving in the right direction. You will have to work at it, but all successful WLS patients have to work hard to shed the pounds and to maintain a fit body.

Don't give up! All you can do is start where you are and go from there.
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #13  

jffypop:thanks for the encouragement, i decided to start very slow on my own.still some other health issues to deal with. i did it i walked for 15 minutes. with little pain!!! YEAH. FIRST TIME IN ALMOST A YEAR.im glas there are others out there to help give me a little push along the way.
thanks a mil.
annette
Old 09-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #14  

hi thanks for the note
annette
Old 09-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #15