Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #1  

Unhappy Hair Loss!!

My hair is falling out!!! I am starting to see empty spots and it's freaking me out!!

My hair was the one thing that I was actually proud of, and I kept it long. I had to cut it to just below my shoulder last month, and I got a layered look to give volume. But the thing is, it just continues to fall.. I couldn't run my hand through my hair, without ending up with a pile in my hand!

I was found to have low zinc and low vitamin A. The zinc tabs make me nauseous so am not very good at taking them. My surgeon actually told me that I don't need to take my multivitamin pill daily anymore and said that my hair will grow back after about 6 months. Although not entirely convinced, I stopped the multivitamins 3 weeks back, just because I hate taking pills so much. It's not getting any better! And I am so scared because my mom and most my aunts have thin hair.. I knew I'd follow their foot steps eventually, but not so soon!!

Anyone been through this?? I am thinking of cutting my hair real short, but the thought of not getting my hair back ever just breaks my heart..

D.
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

My doc said there is nothing you can take that is proven to help with hair loss. I started losing my hair at 6 months and its just starting to slow down a little, although clumps are still coming out. I lost so much of my hair that now I have strings in the back....its just heart breaking. I look awful w/short hair so I'll keep it long but my gosh it is horrible and yes I agree heart breaking to say the least. It looks like all my healthy hair is gone and the dried hair stayed which makes it look even worse. Mine was thick and heatlhy too

Its just going to take time, hang in there (everyone says it grows back OY).

Hugs
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #3  

Just remind yourself with every lost strand that it will come back and it's proof that your body is changing. Since my weightloss has been pretty slow (kind of by design, kind of by laziness) my hairloss hasn't been too horrible, but my hairdresser did recommend Nioxin last spring. I don't know how much it's helped, but I'm not bald and my hair's longer than it's been in years. Hang in there girls!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #4  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

I was also suffering from hair loss. I've always had really thick long hair so this hair loss devastated me! I didn't get bald spots or anything, but suddenly, I could pull out several strands (like over 10-20) just by running my hands thru it. I flipped out!

I started using pantene products for weak hair (full & thick) and it really helped! It made my hair look thicker, but it also helped reduce the number of hairs I was losing. Another thing I've done is to always use conditioner with every shampoo, a leave-in conditioner and limit blowdrying.

These things have REALLY helped me! I still see a few strands here and there but I don't get clumps of hair when I run my hands thru it. I don't know if it would help you, but I wish you strong, healthy hair!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #5  

Leenie, I don't like the way I look with short hair too! It's kind of funny, because I used to think I had a round face, until I lost all this weight, and realized that my face is actually oval Maybe I should just have a stronger heart and more faith and just hold on to whatever I have.. Since you're ahead of me on this, let me know when your's stops falling.. I really hope that happens SOON!!

Chickadee, how can you say "laziness" and I remember reading your posts on all your efforts with getting fit! If you want lazy look at ME.. I am still not exercising despite promising myself to daily! I'll try to see if I could get Nioxin, which product did you use?

Telemetrynurse, usually pantene products do not agree with my hair, but I will see if this particular one would help. BTW, how long after the surgery or weight loss did your hair start falling and how long after did it slow down? I am thinking *hoping* it's a combined effect (the products+time).

Thanks you all.. It means a lot to me knowing that am not the only one.. I was begining to believe that you either get the body or the hair! But I am still hoping you can have both!

D.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

ok della - i had a lot to say on this subject but i fell asleep staring at the screen last night!

first things first, the hair loss is generally due to hormone changes associated with the rapid weight loss. there's not a LOT you can do about it, but there are a few things that help minimize it, and help it grow back later [yes, i lost quite a bit of hair, but mine has always been short. but after all's said and done, my hair's actually thicker than it was before the surgery. but it's still short - i can't cope with long hair]

some things that can help -

take your vitamins. yes, i know your doc said that you didn't need them any more, but unless you're eating about 2000 calories [which i'm sure you're not], it's extremely difficult for ANYONE - surgery or not - to get in the nutrients they need. i use children's chewables. they have the same dose of STUFF as the adult vitamins, and they taste better! and if your vitamin A is low, other fat-soluble vitamins may be low as well. wish hubs were around to add to this - she knows more about the fat solubles than i do.

eat your protein. hair is protein. protein needs protein.

try nioxin. it's worked for many people

don't strain your hair - like with braids or clips or elastics. anything that pulls will help break the weakened strands.

give your hair the building blocks it needs to make a come-back and you'll be fine. honest!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #7  

Thanks Jiffy.. I'll go back to the vitamins and see what happens..

D.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #8  

I'm at 3 months post op and I am starting to lose my hair too!! I have always had thick. long hair and my hairdresser told me last week that it feels like 1/3 of my hair is now gone. She says that I currently have the perfect amount of hair. But where is this going to end up. It's only been 3 months!. I ended up cutting my hair to a little above my shoulders, but I am honestly worried about it. I can't have bald spots, I just can't.

After reading the other posts, I am going to get Nioxin.

Jeanette
Yorkiemom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #9  
Shar

S/C/G: 280/149/140

Okay, my two cents worth. It seemed like I started loosing hair almost immediately after original surgery... now if I brush my hair, I can fill the brush 3 times (no exageration needed) before I'm finished. If I brush my hair, then wash it, and brush again after washing it... it's more like 4 brushs full. I mean I'm used to having to empty my brush daily, but not more than once... I've always had long thick hair, but this week, I ended up buying little girl hair ties to keep it out of my face. The big thick knot I used to tie on top of my head (with no pins or scrunchies) lays like a sad, thin tangle at the nape of my neck. I can tell by my scars that my body is not healing as quickly as it used to, so I figure this will go on until I'm almost bald.... especially since I have 2 surgeries now scheduled. One this week and one next week. I'm gonna try the Pantene though... maybe it will help.

Hugs,
Sharmel
USAFwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:46 AM   #10  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Here is my 2 cents worth. Thanks to the advice from this group prior to surgery & that of my WLS Clinic, I have been very faithful in getting in my 2 multi-vitamins, 2 calcium w/ magnesium, iron & 71-85 grams of proteins daily & my B-12 weekly. I use Nioxin 1-2 times weekly (shampoo, condition, & mousse) & have been since right after surgery. I have not had problems with my hair falling out after surgery as much as before surgery. I also have really thick hair (fine & thick) & it was thinning on top. It is now fuller on top than it was and is not nearly as gray, so I am letting it grow in natural color. I also was told to never brush my hair while wet as it tears the hair out without any of the other reasons for losing hair. I use a comb with large openings until it is dry--then my brush.

These are the things that work for me & it has been nearly 5 months post op now.

P.S. I also take 2 fish oil capsules daily. The Nioxin products have biotin in them.

Last edited by Loodie; 07-26-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #11  

You know Loodie.. I think the preventive measures you just provided should be turned into a sticky.. Not all centers have as good and thorough a pre- and post- op care.. I wish I knew this early on so that I would prevent this loss!

D.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

Hairloss is common with weightloss. Mine started coming out, too, and I shed weight without the surgery.

Solutions have been discussed but you seem to be missing one key ingredient - that lovely B vitamin - Biotin. When I started taking 5mg of biotin daily, my nails got stronger/stopped splitting and my hair came in like gangbusters.

In addition, I feel the lovely omegas found in my daily flaxseed oil (2 Tbsp) really help keep my hair lustrous and spiffy!
csoar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #13  
Have you exercised today?

S/C/G: 271/170/170

Height: 5'8"

I took every vitamin and drank 3 to 4 protein shakes a day but I still lost alot of hair. I had a nice shiny bald spot in the front. Unfortunately it's part of the process. Luckily it's temporary and your hair will grow back. Hang in there. This too shall pass.
FairyWinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

My hair is falling out too !!! My office is right next door to a hair salon. One day a couple of months ago I was so frustrated with it I walked in next door and told her to cut it off. OH Man ! Was I sorry I did that. I looked like a chicken ! LOL I got up out of her chair and went straight down the street to the wig shop. I now own 3 wigs. Trouble with that is ....it's getting soooo hot. My hair has grown out a little bit....and I've bought all kinds of concoctions to go on it...but it's still thin......and short. I'm talking really short. I can't even get it around a curling iron. I really didn't mean for her to cut it that short. I've always looked awful in really short hair. Now ... I look like a chicken. (sigh) Hey.....but I'm a skinny chicken LOL
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:52 PM   #15  

Magi your progress is so GREAT!! You should be proud of yourself, hair or no hair

When I first wrote this post, I was just about to SHAVE my head off!! That's how frustrated I was, but I am glad I didn't. I would have looked like a giant with a tiny egg head :P (am not that tall but am still BIG!).

According to everyone, you should start growing hair back about now.. Take care of your nutrition and I pray (for you.. and me.. and everyone!!) to grow our hairs back!!

D.