Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #61  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hope your going to hang with us WLS chicks on the main board (below this thread), we love positive attitudes and you certainly are glowing
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:14 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 215/208/142

Height: 5feet 2 inches

I am scheduled for lap band surgery on Monday. I'm feeling both excited and and a bit nervous. It is such a bit step!
franhaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:03 AM   #63  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Fran and congrats on being in band-land soon. It is a big step isn't it. Where are you having it done?

Leenie
Old 10-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 208/208/135

Height: 5'5

Default Well Than!

I am so darn frustrated with my insurance it is ridiculous! I have spoke with both BCBS of TX and my husband's insurance United Healthcare and both of our employers have listed the procedure as an exclusion! I don't understand why it is so hard to get this thing covered. If it is effecting your health and you have been obese for years and not been able to successfully lose weight on your own, then what's the dang problem????? I am sooooooo fed up and I really don't want to be paying on this thing out of pocket for the next ten years!

I was told that I could possibly appeal the exclusion if I had a medical necessity letter. I just don't know if pre-diabetic, high cholesterol, and PCOS will suffice. IMHO, I would think PCOS would be a good morbidity to list because it is related to being obese and the only known reversal or way to improve it is to lose weight. As of right now, my fertility is shot because of it, but if I were able to lose the weight I need to then my fertility will increase and I might actually have the opportunity one day to conceive naturally, without all the pills!

Has anyone chosen to self-pay on this procedure and if so what was the cost? How well did they work with you payments wise? I mean is it affordable? So far I have seen that it ranges anywhere from $17,000-$25,000 in Texas. That just seems crazy to me! Any advice will be very appreciated! Thanks,
fluffy
fluffygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #65  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Jess and welcome

Oh boy, insurance companies are just praying you won't appeal it.. they are pretty much counting on it. Do yourself a favor... get a letter from your doctor / surgeon and send it in... track it, write down everything they (insurance co) say and who you talked to, call every day... pretty much haunt them !! I know several people who have had to send in letters and then got approved

Give it a try, can't hurt.

Leenie

Last edited by Leenie; 10-16-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #66  

Default lap band question

Hi all- I am new to posting- although I have been reading posts for a few months. I am in the process of exploring lap band surgery. I originally thought about WLS about 10 years ago, tried to give it a go on my own and am back to where I have started.

I am scheduled to go to an informational session with the surgeons coming up but I had a question for those of you who are post op.

I have read what to expect within the first few months after surgery- but I am wondering once your band is fully restricted- what sorts of foods are you eating? Can you eat anything but just in a smaller portion (I had read on another post that rice and bread were difficult to get through the band). Currently I eat alot (the alot part being the issue) of high quality food- lean proteins, fruit, etc (although I could certainly use more veggies and alot less carbs) but I am just wondering what I can expect in the long run.

Also wondering about if those of you have experienced long term success or if you have eventually gained weight back- and if so, what triggered it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
lolasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #67  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Lolasue,

Welcome !!

As you know, everyone is different, some folks have a harder time with starches such as pasta, rice, breads, etc... and some with harder veggies/fruits. In the beginning I had a hard time with any type of starch, crackers, breads, etc.. but after time and the same restriction I am finding it easier to eat... it could be that I have learned how to eat them meaning chewing more and eating slower. I do have a problem with dry meats, such as really dry chicken or turkey, but if there is a gravy or if they are moist I have no problem. My surgery btw was in 2005.

As far as gaining weight.. I've gained back 20 lbs but that is because I fell back into my old habits.. my band works beautiful... my head on the other hand is another story.

Just remember, patience, eat slow and chew chew chew.

good luck !!
Leenie
Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #68  

Leenie - how much did you loose? When did you feel "full" with your band? 2 ml? 6? 10 ml?

Here in Croatia they fill them just to 6 ml, and the band is up to 11! I dont think that is fair :-)))

About the saggy skin - doctor told me that it depends on the body shape...I am more apple than pear and he told me that for my type its typical that my stomach will sag and upper arms...and trust me...those are the places where the most fat is...

If they were on my butt I guess I could work out more but...on the belly...you cant do so many sit-ups...
nomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 264/264/175

Height: 5'4

Default My day is coming soon... hopefully

I've wanted the lapband for a LOOOOOOONG time now but haven't been able to afford it and my insurance didn't cover it. My BFF just had it in March and she's already lost 60lbs!! I recently got a new job and I "think" (fingers crossed) they cover it!! I had an appt with my Dr yesterday and got a referral to see a weight loss surgeon. I'm scheduled to go to a seminar tonight and I'm ready to get this weightloss ball ROLLING!! I'm so looking forward to a new and improved HEALTHIER me!!
GoodTimes1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #70  

Default im new at this and need advice

I have been researching lap band for a few years and this is definitely what I need and want... I have had up and down struggles with keeping health insurance but I do now have health insurance starting in the middle of September. What is my first step in my goal of having lap band?
babystepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #71  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystepps View Post
I have been researching lap band for a few years and this is definitely what I need and want... I have had up and down struggles with keeping health insurance but I do now have health insurance starting in the middle of September. What is my first step in my goal of having lap band?
You need to call your insurance and ask them if they cover it.... if yes, then ask them what you need to do. Some insurance companies require 6 months of documented weight loss, which means you'll probably have to see your GP. I had to have a letter from my doctor requesting surgery, weight loss documentation, blood work, then go to my surgeon and he required some things as well as seeing a nutritionist and a physiologist.

So.. start with your insurance company and see where you need to begin.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #72  

United Healthcare denied me but my sister was able to get the lap band with Blue Cross
dekarlo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 234

Height: 5'6"

Hello All Been wanting lb any advice I am in New York How do I find out if my insurance pays for it Nerves
babypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #74  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by babypuff View Post
Hello All Been wanting lb any advice I am in New York How do I find out if my insurance pays for it Nerves
Call them and ask if they cover wl surgery... especially lap band.

good luck !!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 234

Height: 5'6"

Thank you I called the Dr and The women said they take my insurance I have an appointment tomorrow. Is it a long process to get lb surgery. I have weeks off during the school year I work in the kitchen and don't want to take time off I don't get payed Please if anyone has info please tell me Thank you
babypuff is offline   Reply With Quote