Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #46  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I had/have Horizon Blue Cross/Shield and they want 6 months supervised dieting w/your doctor. But your plan may be different. Good luck !!!

Last edited by Leenie; 01-10-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 280/254/175

Height: 5'8"

I'm so angry my insurance won't cover LB surgery. I don't know if this is too personal of a question but how did those of you who had the surgery pay for it if insurance didn't cover it?

I did find out that insurance covers a nutritionist. Now i'm just dieting and exercising the old-fashioned way.
chickeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #48  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Some people take out loans, or dip into their savings.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'2"

I am considering WLS. I went to a seminar on 2/7/09 and already schedule my initial consultation with the surgeon for 02/23/09 (they wanted to see me sooner but I am a busy bee) my only concern as everybody is if Horizon blue cross/blue shield will make me go thru hoops for their approval. I am 33 years old, BMI 43 and High Blood Pressure. They told me I needed a record of my weight for the last five years, a proof that I had diet before (they said supervised diet but there are some of us that do not wait for doctor approval to do any diet) I am glad that I documented my attempts to lose weight. I lost 80 pounds in five months in my last one and got almost to my goal, just to get it back and then some more. I also need the Medical Necessity letter. I want to prepare for everything the insurance throw at me, so I will really appreciate that if I miss something, please let me know. Glad to join this forum. ^_^
Kainu1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #50  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Welcome Kainu, glad your here too.

May I ask which surgeon you are seeing?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 240

Height: 5'2"

Thanks, Lennie. I am going to be with Dr. Strein in Englewood Hospital.
Kainu1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #52  
Moderator & Happy Chick

I hear Englewood is good !!!! good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 272/279/healthy

Height: 5'7"

I am new to 3 chicks. I am a college student and am seriously thinking about surgery for weight loss my BMI is 41 and I have elevated blood pressure. The problem is that I don't have any insurance. Any suggestions about financing or pro's and con's? Thanks
smpuent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #54  
Curvatious!

S/C/G: 253/250/190

Height: 5'3''

Smpuent,
I am also a college student and considering wls. I'm in about the same situation as you. I will probably use my mom or dad's insurance. I know my mom's covers it without any hitches. However Certain places I've been researching have payment plans. There is a dr by me with a payment plan, plus I read that the realize band works with capital one and I think the lapband has a payment plan also of 84 months or so. I think it just depends on the type of surgery. But I'd definitely research more into what each compan of the LBs do to help with financing. Not sure about other surgery.
sarpinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:50 AM   #55  
Volumptious Woman

S/C/G: 316/312/199

Height: 5'9"

Hello Ladies!!! I am new to this website and have been going through the process and documentation to have the lapband surgery. So far for insurance i have to go to the dietician and my regular doctor for 6 consecutive months and i am going into my 4th month. YEAAAA getting closer lol..I also already have the 5 year weight history.It was hard work lol.. Anyways i have a couple questions for anybody to answer or input. 1st Is there anyone who regrets having the lapband surgery in any way? Anything i should be aware of? (I have been to my doctors information seminar and have met with the surgeon so i do know quite a bit) 2nd this question is more cosmetic...As you lose weight (with having the lapband surgery) does any of your skin shrink or will ALL of my skin pretty much everywhere just sag? Like arms, thighs etc... I know the stomach region will that is pretty much a given but what about other areas? I am only 27 so my skin and body will hopefully adjust a little bit.
Thank you for any input!!! I appreciate it alot!!!
Have a Blessed Night!
Miss Katie
Mommaof2lilmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #56  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Katie and

Congrats on being in your 4th month. Insurance companies make you run circles but IMHO its worth it.

IMHO
Q: 1st Is there anyone who regrets having the lapband surgery in any way?
A: Not I ... even though I'm not losing at this point.. I'm not gaining either YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEE

Q: Anything i should be aware of? (I have been to my doctors information seminar and have met with the surgeon so i do know quite a bit)
A: Yes, the band is a tool, it will not work unless you work with it, meaning you have to diet and exercise and have the proper restrictions (fills)... the band can not do it by itself. Make sure you follow your doctors diet after banding. It is so important as you don't want to hurt yourself (especially with exercise, you don't want to tear your innard up after surgery). Don't get frustrated if you don't lose weight until you get the proper restriction... remember you can eat just like you did before banding without proper fills. It takes time to get proper restriction (your sweet spot lol) so don't get frustrated if your not there by the 3, 4, 5th visit... just remember it WILL happen. Lapband weight loss is supposed to be slow, 1-2 lbs a week.. this IS good !!!! If you eat junk, you will gain, if you follow your doc's diet suggestions, you'll lose. Try not to pick up other habits that allow you to eat around the band.. for instance, cake might be hard to eat (at first) so instead you'll eat ice cream b/c it goes down easier this is a BAD habit. SO don't subsitute one bad food for another. Mostly listen to your body, take small bites, chew chew chew chew chew chew, eat slow.

Q: 2nd this question is more cosmetic...As you lose weight (with having the lapband surgery) does any of your skin shrink or will ALL of my skin pretty much everywhere just sag? Like arms, thighs etc... I know the stomach region will that is pretty much a given but what about other areas? I am only 27 so my skin and body will hopefully adjust a little bit.
A: Thats a hard question as everyone is different. I would think.. the more weight you have to lose, the more saggy skin you'll have. Thats where either a tummy tuck comes to play or a nice corset don't let saggy skin stop you from losing weight. My suggestion to you is to start exercising NOW !! tighten up everything you can.. can't hurt.

Hope this helps....

Leenie
Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 AM   #57  
Volumptious Woman

Thank you very much for replying! Your information was very helpful. I am excited to get the weight off!!! I have been heavy my whole life and have tried so many things. I wont let the saggy skin stop me. lol I will just have to start a savings account for tucks lol. One more question though if you don't mind.... I struggle with feeling full sometimes...I can eat out at a buffet and get full then 30 minutes or so later i feel hungry again..Does the lapband really truthfully make you feel full off the small amount you eat or is it kind of a placebo so you think you are full?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #58  
Old Cackler

it's a mechanical thing, darlin. think about a balloon animal - and how parts of the balloon are TIED OFF. there'a MUCH less room in, say the balloon animal's head than in the rest of the body. so, by putting the lapband on, you'll basically filling just that small top part with food [and you WILL feel fuller, because that small part IS full], and it'll slowly filter out through the rest of your digestive tract.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #59  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Yes, your pouch will feel full - given your restriction (fills) is good.
Your gonna do great, don't worry
Old 08-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #60  
Volumptious Woman

Thank You Ladies!!!! I am SUPER Excited though!!!! October isn't coming fast enough lol...that is when my 6 months is up and we send in everything to insurance for approval....I am motivated to get the weight off so i think i will do good as well...But Thanks for the Support!!!!
Have a Blessed Night Ladies!!!!