Just for Lapbanders #4

You're on Page 9 of 12
Go to
  • Oh enjoy your vacation. Watch the rice and pasta, go really slow, as rice can ball up inside. I have to be careful with sticky rice as well as pastas.

I'm glad your enjoying this.. Even though I'm not at goal, I don't regret it one bit.
  • hiya, im nearly to the end of my six weeks since ive had my band fitted, cant wait for my 1st fill, im getting realy hungry now!! lol! im being realy good as if i was on a diet, the difference is you cannot eat the way you did pre-op, well i cant!! the rewarding thing is ive gone down a dress size already!! woop woop!! if anyone had a band fitted just for a quik fix, you wouldnt do it, you have got to be 100% dedicated, im still enjoying it.....jane xxx
  • Thats wonderful Jane good luck with your first fill.. let us know how you did.
  • hi leenie
    ive had it done, ive been bringing up flemmy stuff and hurts in my chest since, its been 3hrs now and still feels uncomfortable...ive got to have soup for 3 days then same with puree then mashed!!, hopefully it will do soon, he put, 0.5 i think! lol, i did take a big glug of water after i think thats what did it, i didnt realise its more or less the same as when you first have it done.
    i think i should have had it done on an empty stomach, is that right?? ive lost 10kg.., my bmi is 34 now.
    is it normal for it to feel like that after your first fill? take care. jane
  • Yes, they do say to have the fill on an empty stomach. My doc tells me no food for 2 days (only liquids) after each fill. Please do what ever they say, even with water, sip sip sip, never gulp (anything). Its all about learning Jane, so go slow.. very slow. You'll be ok. If for some reason you can not get liquids down notify your doctor immediately or you'll dehydrate and wind up in the hospital. Remember your swollen inside after each fill (just like after surgery) thats why they want you to take it easy.

You should be fine.
  • well ive jujst got back from a&e..hed put 4.5 in, not 0.5, ive had some taken out ive got 2 left in thier!! god it was such a relief, obviously to much for me ay? my saliver was getting stuck...not good, i couldnt swallow, i was getting panicky..well its all sorted now ''i hope'' lol.
    take care
    jane...thanx
  • You must have a big band and yes, 4.5 is A LOT to put in for a first visit, usually they only go .25 (your band is prob 11 cc or 10 cc). ... slow is good, and I'm glad your feeling better. For future fills, stay at his office for a few minutes to make sure you can swallow a cup of water (sipping of course).

Take it easy the next few days.
  • Second try with a band...help!
    Quote: Hard to believe, isn't it, that we've pretty much filled up 3 threads with lapband issues!

The other one was getting too long, and old, so, folks, here's a whole new one for you to discuss your special issues and questions.

Enjoy!

Hi,
    I'm trying to get on to the format in here for replying to messages. I hope this is okay. Feel free to correct me, if it's not!

In any case, I had a band installed five years ago. I had it in for six months and lost seventy pounds. That was heavenly! Then I really ran into problems with tight restriction. Long story short...I had to get the band removed. It took awhile but I put back all the weight I had lost.

It was a horrible experience but I knew the band could work for others because I had seen it happen. I don't think my band was installed properly and of course it cost me fifteen grand!! Again...long story short, I now have all sorts of health issues, and want to try another band, and another surgeon. Went for a consult and he can install a different band at the end of October if I say it's a go.

The thing is I am scared to go ahead again. I had adhesions before with the first band which they found out when I had it removed. I couldn't eat or drink much at all at the end.

I know there are draw backs to the band, but on the positive side I remember the good things: the endless obsession with food was gone. I didn't have to worry about putting on weight over Christmas. I was able to get out of the plus sized stores, and enjoy buying some nice clothes. Joint pain and high blood sugar went down the tubes. SO...even though it's no walk in the park being banded, I know there are positives too!

Has anyone else here had a SECOND band put in due to complications with the first band? If so, were you happy you went forward with the second one? I have a hundred and twenty pounds to lose. Of course I keep telling myself I can do it with diet and don't need to be banded. Yeah, sure.

Thanks for any input!
  • Hi lookin at losin and

I do know a few ladies who have had it redone due to different issues and are doing very well with it. IMHO, you've made it through round 1, you know whats in store, you know what you have to do.... so if you think you can do it again... I say go for it !!! No one here can really tell you not to because that is a decision that should be made between you and your doctor.

I think your wise to ask around for opinions, it certainly is good to know what others have gone through.

Good luck and we'd love to see more of you (or is that less of you ) on the main threads here at WLS.

Leenie
  • LapBand Surgery
    Good Afternoon Everybody!!!
    I haven't been on here in awhile...Sorry I will try to keep it up though....
    I have AWESOME news!!!! I found out yesterday that my insurance approved my Lapband Surgery!!!!! I am SUPER Excited!!!! I have a whole list of pre op testing i am doing on Thursday the 5th then i will have my pre op appt. with the doc and everybody else involved on Dec. 3rd. After that i will be on a liquid diet until Dec. 18th Which is the BIG day!!!! I am SOOOOO EXCITED!!! I have been Blessed In so many Ways!!!!!!! I am getting my own place and got a sweet deal on a couch and now i am having SURGERY!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Congratulations !! Come join us in the threads below, I'm sure the ladies would love to get to know you.... stop in and introduce yourself
  • Man...today was a looooooong day...I had did all of my pre op medical stuff...ekg, upper GI, chest xray, pulmonary function test, ultrasound stuff, blood work and when it was all said and done i had not eaten or drank anything for 16 hours....I am sooooo ready for bed right now lol....BUT i am still SUPER excited!!! I can't wait!!!! I hope the time goes by really fast....lol Goodnight Ladies!!
  • Good luck with your surgery let us know how it goes!
  • 2 Weeks into lap band life...
    Hello Ladies,
    It has been 2 weeks since i had my lapband surgery......i have 2 weeks left until i can eat mushy stuff and i REALLY need it....Liquid diets are horrible lol...Since Dec. 3 i have lost 28 pounds!!!!! I am excited!!!!I'm going to try really hard to lose the weight... I am going on vacation this summer and really want to lose as much as i can so i can surprise my family that i am going to see...Any suggestions would be helpful.....
    Have a Blessed Night!!!
    Miss Katie
  • Hi All
    I've had my lap band for 13 months and have lost about 30 pounds. I've had some real issues with head hunger and most of all with not understanding the whole fill-concept. I've got it now and the weight is actually beginning to come off little by little! I've also joined the biggest loser challenge here, joined a gym and dedicated myself to getting REALLY serious about my eating. Beyond losing weight, I want to be strong and healthy! I'd love to make some friends here and share. Hope everyone has a good night and has some luck keeping warm! Kathi