Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #31  
banned

I've made no bones about having the lap band done; as a matter of fact, it is the only thing I can have done since the bypass is not an option for me (digestive system is backwards). As someone else stated, a lot of insurances will not cover lap banding, but I was able to get mine covered, being I fell under a criteria of a "Quality of Wellness" guidelines (BMI, diet history, medical history, etc.). I've got an in-office appointment on March 5, which means more than likely I will be scheduled for surgery sometime between later that month or sometime in April at the latest.
LAnneCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #32  

Thumbs down

Hi I am getting ready to have the lapband surgery om 4-27-07 and would like someone to tell me if its painful. and if the person was a diabetic before surgery was there any problems with that?
allinone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #33  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Allinone,

Congrats on your band date. Pain will differ with everyone, I know a person who went shopping the NEXT DAY!!!! can you believe that.... where as I didn't drive until the 5th day out b/c I was to sore. So you see, you'll get all different responses. My other friend was up and walking hours after her surgery!!!! LOL. Just make sure when you leave the hospital they give you some pain pills.... even if you don't take any, its good to have them just incase you do need them. I was only on them about 2 days if that... the slightest discomfort I had I took a pill b/c there is no reason to be in pain and I didn't want the pain level to get really bad.

I'm sorry I can't help you on the diabetic part of your question.

Good luck !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:07 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 317/36/145

Height: 5'9''

Leenie,

did your srugery work for you? How did you take pills? Others tell me their meds are liquid.

thx,
Evilah
Evilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #35  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Evilah my surgery went beautiful (so far) I'm over a year out and lost 60 lbs. I would lose faster but I'm taking the fills very very slow, last thing I want to do is rush this and hurt myself.

I have a pill cutter and cut most of my pills. Some meds do come in liquids so that makes it even easier....you just have to remember to tell your doctor (remind him) that you need liquids or pills you can cut. Easy peasy

Ohh... some pills you can crush and mix in apple sauce (just like some elderly people do).

Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

Silly question - But what is DH? Darling Husband??
Thanks.
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #37  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Yes
Old 08-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 314/292/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm going to post here from now on. I am on my journey to lapband surgery. Just started the support groups and haven't had my first psych meeting yet. A ton of paper work to read and schedule appointments.
I have started walking 30 minutes a day and I feel so much better than when I don't exercise. But I noticed I'm eating more food too. Still at the same weight. I need to cut my calorie intake and start walking an hour a day. My knees don't hurt anymore and I can get out of bed w/o any problem.
Sorry so long, so cheer me on! I am so grateful for this board!

Thanks a bunch
MiddleSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

I am having difficulty getting anything at all down. I mean anything. I thought that I read somewhere that if your band slipped a little, going on to clear liquids for a bit might allow the body to re-place the band. Has anyone had this occur - is it true? I think I might be in ****... eeek! I'm really afraid.
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #40  
It's my perogative!

S/C/G: 249/247/180

Talking Considering Lap Band

Hey guys I noticed that no one has really posted on here, but i am really considering the surgery. Anyone have any suggestions?
ilovemike4alwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #41  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemike4alwayz View Post
Hey guys I noticed that no one has really posted on here, but i am really considering the surgery. Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, do your research #1. And realize, you will still need to diet and exercise to lose the weight. Its very easy for junk food to go thru the band, much easier than clean healthy foods Call your insurance company and make sure they cover it, also find out what they require for you to be approved (i.e., 6 months physician supervised diet, etc.).

Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #42  
Buffalo Girl

S/C/G: 220/209/128

Height: 5'1"

I think I will start posting on this thread since I've decided for sure to have LB. Just started the (insurance) process - have had one nutrition meeting but still need to do the other stuff (2 more meetings + psych eval). My DH had GB surgery 2 yrs ago and is doing great, but that's not my path. It took me 2 yrs to even decide to do LB - still nervous but I think it's a good choice for me. My problem is "sweets" addiction - including chocolate- that will be such a challenge. Are you still able to eat very tiny amts. of (dark) chocolate after the surgery? I'm 63 and it's hard to teach old dawgs new tricks, LOL.
GrammyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 314/292/150

GrammyRN,

I have done everything that my insurance required. So, now I'm just waiting for approval and a date for my LB. I will continue with the support groups to help keep me from eating foods that are bad for me.

Did anyone see Lulu from Hee Haw she was the fat women on there, she has lost hundreds of pounds and now she is going for the surgery to take care of her sagging skin.

I have been MIA for awhile, need to get caught up on things here again. Remember it's a tool to help with wl the lapband is. So, grammy don't cheat yourself out of the healthy women you deserves to be.

I need to find out if my insurance will pay for the fills, I will be having! Do any of you know?

Take Care

MiddleSister
MiddleSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet-tweet View Post
Another question...

How out of the closet are you about having had surgery? Is it basically noticable? Is there anyway you could get by without telling your family?

I'm generally a very open person... however, my mother is a complete gossip. It came as a bit of a shock when I heard her talking to a complete stranger about some very private details of my life. There are things I wish she didn't know.... And, I think WLS might be one of them.

That, and she can be a bit unsupportive. I took her to an ultrasound appt when I was PG, thinking that it would be a special moment... her getting to see her first grandchildren. It was okay, but when she started commenting on how heavy I was and how "secure" I must be because she would have been mortified to let anyone see her tummy like that.... (etc..) Anyways, you get the idea... I just don't know if I want to subject myself to the possible comments.

How realistic is it for me to think I can keep it a secret?
I never told my mom or dad. in fact, I didn't tell anyone! When folks ask, I tell them the absolute truth that I eat much smaller portions of protein and veggies. PM me anytime.
ClaudiaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyRN View Post
I think I will start posting on this thread since I've decided for sure to have LB. Just started the (insurance) process - have had one nutrition meeting but still need to do the other stuff (2 more meetings + psych eval). My DH had GB surgery 2 yrs ago and is doing great, but that's not my path. It took me 2 yrs to even decide to do LB - still nervous but I think it's a good choice for me. My problem is "sweets" addiction - including chocolate- that will be such a challenge. Are you still able to eat very tiny amts. of (dark) chocolate after the surgery? I'm 63 and it's hard to teach old dawgs new tricks, LOL.
Hi Grammy!
You'll love being banded! Good luck!
Claudia
ClaudiaH is offline   Reply With Quote