3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   Just for Lapbanders #4 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/85112-just-lapbanders-4-a.html)

neverland 09-06-2006 04:08 PM

Thank you for your nice reply : )) However, I meant 12th of June.
So it's normal that I eat fine?
Do you think running too much will hurt the band?

VeggyMom 09-07-2006 12:48 PM

Neverland,

Running will not harm your band. Keep exercising.

So you've been banded almost three months, right? Give it some time. It can take a few fills to reach the right fill level. Even when you reach your "sweet spot" or optimal restriction you shouldn't find eating to be painful or difficult. You should be able to serve yourself reasonable portion sizes and feel full (meaning no longer hungry but not stuffed) on those portions. Ideally we should not be sitting down to huge helpings and then waiting for our band to tell us when to stop eating. So if you've only had one fill and you're about three months out and you're eating larger portions than you think you should be able to ... I'd say that is pretty normal.

Many Lap-Band patients call the time between surgery and reaching proper restriction "Bandster ****" because it is a frustrating and difficult time.

In the mean time keep trying to make good food choices, exercising and hardest of all ... keep tying to be patient. That's the part that's really hard.

lavender blue 09-22-2006 12:26 PM

A silly question ??

What are threads and what and where are the four you have filled up.

Lapbander as of July 27, 2006, -22 pounds:?: :?:

becky8933 09-29-2006 04:06 PM

Well, I'm not telling a soul (except my HR lady because I have to but that's confidential).

I already know people will freak out and judge me. Nope - just my secret. :))

4myloves 11-15-2006 01:49 PM

Is there a link to a thread that discusses the "fills" in more detail?

Leenie 11-17-2006 11:00 AM

I'm not sure 4myself... but is there anything maybe I can answer for you?

:hug:

4myloves 11-17-2006 11:58 AM

Leenie--

I went to the link listed on the FAQ thread and found out that there is a seminar in my area on November 20th (monday night)!!!!

I'm so excited!

I actually spoke w/my husband about this option on Wednesday. He's usually so anti-surgery when it comes to me--won't even let me get BC implanted! He did seem worried at first, but when I told him I'd keep all my body parts he cooled it a little.

Now I'm trying to find out if my insurance will pay for part of it!

Leenie 11-17-2006 01:07 PM

4myself, call your insurance before you go, ask them if they cover bariatric surgery and then ask about the band. Some insurances will say yes but will only cover bypass.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!

4myloves 11-17-2006 02:08 PM

I called today--she said that they will begin covering lap-banding with the 2007 season, but as of now they don't.

I'm going to the seminar on Monday, then I have to choose a doctor and take all the other steps necessary--so I'm doubting I'd be ready by January anyway! I'll wait the few extra weeks, though, if I have too to defer some of the cost!!!!

Jessicateague 12-12-2006 09:05 AM

Hello Ladies......I just got started on here at 3fatchicks....I have been banded since Oct. 11th. I have lost 13 lbs so far. I have not yet gotten a fill, but i go in this wednesday for my first..im pretty nervous, but i know i absolutly need it because as of right now i have almost no restriction at all. I think i may be gaining and that scares me. Well i really look forward to getting information from you guys....cause i know i truly need the help...hope everyone has a great day.

Jess

brokenNEKO 12-31-2006 05:28 AM

Hello, I was wondering if any of you know if kaiser permanente insurance would cover getting a lap band, partially or otherwise.
I was also wondering about how you can pay for it if your insurance doesn't
cover weight loss surgeries, from experience preferably.

Thanks

SD Gal 12-31-2006 05:12 PM

My mil and fil had lap bands done I believe it will be two years ago come the end of February. I can say with much conviction that had they not done this particular procedure that they would have continued to have medical problems or worse. :( Each have lost beautifully, my mil has lost half her current body weight and looks FANTASTIC and my fil has also lost my mil's current body weight, he has about 20 more pounds to go and then will have achieved goal. I'm so very proud of them both. They now are off ALL medications and are so active! So.. to all of you who have done this as well and seen wonderful results, I'm proud of you too! :hug:

SD Gal 12-31-2006 05:15 PM

Sadly, most insurances don't cover lap band surgery, only the gastric bipass kind. I don't understand why (I work medical billing for a SoCa healthcare) because there are less post op medical problems. I know many people who had the bipass and ended up with lots of after problems :( Call Kaiser and ask them specifically.. direct to the insurance is always the best. Lap bands are still considered a lot of the time, experimental..

misosmart 01-04-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweet-tweet (Post 1271528)
Another question...

How out of the closet are you about having had surgery? Is it basically noticable? Is there anyway you could get by without telling your family?

That's a great question -- and like yourself I am pretty open, but I find with this, I really don't want anyone to know for many reasons.

kfs151 01-04-2007 09:03 PM

It's definitely a personal choice. I've told my closest friends but not any of DH's family. After the first healing period (which we passed off as a stomach bug, etc) no one notices. I eat enough (or push it around on my plate) that no one catches on or questions my food choices. It was hard in the beginning when people who knew I'd had the surgery would ask how much I'd lost, expecting a big number since last week. I'd find myself launching into explanations of fills and slow weight loss and so on. Now it's not a problem.

Good luck either way,