Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #1  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

Thumbs up Out of surgery

hey gang!

I had surgery today at 3:30 CST. I feel pretty good. I'm in Tijuana under the care of Dr. Ortiz. Things are going really well. I'm walking at least once an hour and I feel much better than expected. Thanks for all your support and advice as I was planning for this journey. I'll check in again in a couple of days.

Angela
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

WOW!!!!!! and you're up and about:? and posting? good heavens! don't you have any good drugs to knock you out???

but seriously - thank you for posting. i didn't get around to putting up a 'where are you thread' <work SO gets in the way!>

tell your doc that he has to take GREAT care of you - WE'RE WATCHING!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Angela, welcome to BandLand

I'm so glad things went well.... have a safe trip home
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

That's great Angela ! Congratulations
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #5  
Angela

Hi ya'll,

I got home today. This clear liquid thing has me kind of grouchy sometimes but overall I think I'm doing well. The nutritionist at the MD's office said I would not feel physical hunger for one week. Uhm, I guess my mind is playing tricks on me because I do feel hungry, not starving, but I have the growling stomach and all. So far, I've been on broth, jello and water. I even thought about drinking the liquid off of green beans, just for variety. I've been walking alot and I'm considering going into the office for a little while tomorrow, but we'll see. I'm not even having to use much Gas-X, unless that's what the grumbling is in my tummy, which means I need to get some in me, it's driving me nuts. I typically feel like I need to burp but can't for a minute, I have to work it out... is that normal or am I eating too fast or swallowing air?

My girlfriend took such wonderful care of me and I'm so greatful to her and to all of you. Because of what I've learned here, I was not as scared and I feel prepared. Will post more later. Getting tired, turning in early.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:37 AM   #6  
cha

S/C/G: 228/142/125

WTG cjsP!!! What great news for you be up and about so soon after surgery!! Hope it stays this awesome for ya!!! GROOVY!!! Just remember to take it slow, ya dont wanna go too fast. Awesome awesome!! Hope I can recover that well after my PS in June!!
cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #7  

Default Congrats!

Angela,
Congrats! Sounds like you are doing great! I'm new to this site, my open-RNY is scheduled for 5/26 in Dallas. Glad to hear you are doing so well! I am *planning* on going back to work 10 days after surgery... getting a lot of grief from people thinking I am being too optimistic. My job is NOT physically demanding at all, so I think I'll be Ok. Any advice you can give me will be helpful! I'm really concerned about what kind of bra to wear after surgery (for work)... I'm usually an underwire girl, but I think that will irritate the incision. Let me know if you find something that works for you!!
Thanks,
Sher
Sher43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

sher - darlin - honey - working 10 days AFTER an OPEN RNY? ummm there's no real polite way to say this - soooo - no matter which kind of bra you wear, chances are you won't feel up to work.

don't get me wrong, some of us AFTER THE LAP can manage a few hours a day after a couple of weeks, but i've never heard of anyone returning to work 2 weeks after an OPEN.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #9  

Really!?! I guess I'm naive and shocked... My Dr. said I can do whatever I want the day after I get out of the hospital... I guess I figured that meant I could physically do what I wanted to do... That's a bummer!! But thanks for your insight! I have talked to several of my Dr's patients and they led me to believe that my plan was good and not that aggressive at all... Guess I'll have to be working from home then Anymore advice for a naive girl??
-Sher
Old 05-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

well, now, sher. you CAN do whatever you want, but bottom line, it's more about how you'll FEEL. and trust me, you won't feel well! i don't want to discourage you in any way, but perhaps it won't be wise to make any promises just yet. there are MAJOR incisions involved in this surgery, both internal and external [with the open]. you'll have stitches for a week - on the outside.

as for advice - hmmmm. take a look around the site, and pipe up if you still have questions. this surgery is a big step, and it's best to be prepared.

you have a little more than a week - who in dallas is doing your surgery?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #11  
Angela

Sher...

Congrats on your upcoming surgery. I'm doing great BUT I had the lap band... no stiches, just some super glue and I was ready to go. I had my surgery on Friday and I'm going to go into the office today. AGAIN, our surgeries are very different but my point is that it's taken me 4 days to even consider driving, etc. and I'm NOT a whimp!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #12  

Default Open RNY

jiffypop- My Dr in Dallas is Dr. John Alexander. He was a consulting Dr on Carnie Wilson's surgical team and is pretty reputable in this area (And his charges reflect it! Ha!). I have talked to a handful of his patients. He leaves a tube in for 3 weeks to drain your stomach if you need to (i.e. in case you get nauseus, etc.) Most that I talked to, remained off of work for the 3 weeks while the tube was in because they were concerned about working with it. Three of those actually said they could have gone back to work sooner... so I'm hoping to be one of those!!

CJsPrincess-Thanks! I am excited, but now getting nervous. I am worried that I am being too optimistic about the recovery time. I'm not a whimp either but....Wondering what my boss is going to say if I have to be out longer...

I did choose Open RNY for a reason, I know Laproscopy would have been much easier on my body; but I decided that I would rather have a longer/rougher recovery time than risk some of the other problems that Laproscopy has had. Everyone has their own reasons... I know people who have had success with both types of surgeries and no complications, I just hope and pray to be one of those!!

If there are any Dr. Alexander's patients out there- I want to hear from you!! Good or Bad experience; I want to know!!
Thanks for your help ladies!
-Sher
Old 05-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #13  
Angela

Go for it honey! It's worth it! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Luck Sher. Keep a good attitude!!
magi is offline   Reply With Quote