Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #1  

Wink Wish Me Luck!

Picture it - 1984, a bright, cold day in the Colorado mountains. Suddenly a highly pregnant woman skis past, rocketing down the slopes with amazing grace (especially for someone who looks like they swallowed a basketball).

Fast forward almost 21 years. The same woman skis by - a little less graceful, (okay, maybe a lot less graceful), not too much grayer, thanks to bottled intervention, and definitely not pregnant. Suddenly, a creaky, ratchety sound penetrates the serene Colorado quiet. What could it be, pray tell? Could it be a tree falling in the woods? Could it be a woodland creature snacking on a dropped granola bar? Perhaps it's the sound of an air wrench floating up from the village. Oh my God, it's the old woman's knees! That old woman, my friends, will be me!

I am going skiing tomorrow for the first time in almost 21 years. Two bad knees and one knee surgery later, I'm hoping I come off the mountain in one piece! I keep telling myself that I don't workout six days a week for nothing and that this massive weight loss will help my knees feel only slightly awful when I'm done. I'm actually very excited for this trip and I hope that remembering how to ski is like riding a bicycle. Only time will tell!

Wish me luck!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #2  
Slow and Steady

May the luck of the Irish be with you Chickadee! Have a great time!
Quirky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

HOW FREAKIN COOL IS THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a wonderful, safe, exciting time....and don't forget to give us all the details when you get home.

HAVE FUN!!!

What a wonderful NSV or is it a SV ? LOVE YOU !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #4  

Well, I won't give you the phrase we always use in the theater when we want to wish somebody good luck on stage! On a ski slope, it doesn't have quite the same "ring" to it. I hope you have a wonderful time!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #5  
goy

oh i hope you have a fun time, we went skiing... well i didnt ski.. but dh's youth group went, and we brought our son, he is 5, he had a ball, his first time skiing....... he did great..... i am still a bit too chicken.......
goy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #6  

This is very brave of you Chickadee.. I think it's going to be fun, enjoy!
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #7  

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking! Very, very brave!! I know my knees would never survive that kind of torture.

Good luck to you. And enjoy! *** I think ***
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

hey chickie!!!!!! how did it go??? what an accomplishment!!! you're fine- promise - because i KNOW you've been working on those quads - haven't you... right??? <please say yes!!!!>

i just got back from sedona - arizona -for a friend's wedding this weekend... wonderful!! gotta go catch up!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #9  

Default Warning- Very long post!

So, this turned out to be a very interesting and emotional weekend.

We stayed in a condo right off the slopes with about 20 other people. There were 11 of us sleeping in the loft - in bunk beds, futons and on the floor. Not my idea of luxury! I hate sleeping with that many people in the room, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers! The whole trip (condo, lift tickets, food, rentals, everything) was paid for by a company my husband does business with, so I'm very grateful, even as I complain.

The ski day started out horribly. I had to rent equipment, because mine is long gone. In spite of my weight loss, it turns out that I still have bigger than normal calves. I had a lot of trouble finding boots that fit. The rental place was very busy, so getting someone to help fit me was difficult. Instead of adjusting things properly, the man helping everyone get boots would just keep bringing me boots in a larger size to fit my calves, even though they were too big for my feet. Finally, we got a pair to kind of fit and even though they hurt like ****, I figured I'd try to ski with them. Frankly, I was feeling humiliated by that point and was just trying not to burst into tears. Everyone was waiting for me and I was embarassed. Here I was, about 90 pounds thinner, and still in the same boat I have been in for so many years - the fat girl who just wants to be normal. I found myself unable to be assertive about getting proper boots, because the old fat feelings were back with a vengeance. I've worked very hard on learning to value and respect myself as I've lost weight and yet, somehow, the fat girl I once again became in that shop didn't deserve to be treated respectfully. I kept thinking about how hard I've worked and how it seemed like it was all for nothing. Unreasonable and untrue, I know, but that's how it felt at the time. I sat in that rental shop and fought tears because I didn't want to call more attention to myself than I already had by having fat calves. As a matter of fact, as I type this right now, I'm trying not to cry. It was tough.

When we finally left the shop and headed for the lift line, my boot wouldn't click into the binding. I tried all kinds of things, but it just wouldn't work. I told my daughter and husband to go ahead and ski and I'd meet them later. I was feeling like, "why should they suffer just because my calves are too fat?"

Back to the rental shop I went. This time, another guy helped me. As I explained the problem to him, tears started falling. I couldn't help it. It was so embarassing! If any of you knew me in real life, you'd be so shocked, because very few people have seen me cry. Anyway, he was very kind to me. I explained the problem with the boot to him, thinking I'd just have to return the equipment since I'd tried on so many different boots already. He assured me it was their problem and that of course he could get me outfitted. He returned with another pair of boots (ones that I'd already tried on) and started adjusting them. Because I was still embarrassed by my tears, I told him about my weightloss and workouts. I told him how much I've lost and how excited and nervous I was for this trip. He asked all kinds of questions and told another guy in the shop about me. I ended up getting high fived by all these nice ski shop guys. I went from feeling horrible about myself and the situation to feeling genuine respect from these men. And, I ended up with properly adjusted, comfortable ski boots that worked with the bindings.

As for skiing, it's like riding a bike. Yep, I was good. Really good. It was simply amazing to me that the old form came right back. My quads were screaming, my calves (yeah, those darn fat calves!) were on fire and my knees were cracking. It was fun! All those workouts really have paid off (yes of course I do quad work, Jiffypoo ). I'm a little sore in my calves today, but that's it. My sweet husband can hardly walk.

One more thing (and you thought this post coudn't get longer) - when we were hanging around the condo the next morning, some of the guys started talking about how they can't do much quad work at the gym anymore because of their bad knees. I was able to show them alternative exercises so they can still train, despite their knees. Have I told you guys that I'm starting classes to become a personal trainer? That's another story for another post, but it felt great to be able to use some of what I've learned to help other people. I felt like a two completely different people in one weekend - fat, crying girl in the rental shop, fit, toned girl in the condo. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

If you've read this far, you're amazing! I knew 3FC and the Weightloss forum was one of the few places where people would really understand how I felt this weekend. Thanks for letting me get it all out here!

Chickadee
Old 03-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #10  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Wow Chickadee!! You need a warning at the beginning of that post to have our kleenex handy! Im soooo happy for you!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #11  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Hey Chickadee! I have the same problem with boots, always have always will! I never thought of it as a fat chick issue?!

Either way, proud of you for pulling it together and having a great ski day!

(BTW DH won't let me wear his sox because I strech them out )

On another side note, and I have not bought them, www.zappos.com sells nice dress boots for ladies with big calves, so you are far from alone!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #12  

Chickadee.

I am so grateful to you for sharing all of that.

All of it. I needed to hear it in some place I'm not even sure of.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #13  
One day at a time..

S/C/G: 264/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

You are an inspiration to us all. Seriously. And your not the only one with big calves.. I'm right there with you. I'm glad your weekend ended on a great note.
MizCandula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

Chickadee
You Go Girl !!!!
You have my admiration for just going. I'm still a coward just going into the stores and trying on clothes. I look at something and say to myself, "Nahh, no way I can wear something like that." I finally got up the courage a couple of weeks ago to try on a slinky little stylish blouse and lo and behold it fit !!! I held my breath the whole time I was putting it on. Wonders never cease these days.
When I first read the post about your trip I thought, Lord, I'd never have the courage to do it. And here you are...you not only went ...you triumphed !!!
Thanks for sharing that. You are truly and inspiration.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:43 PM   #15  

Thanks ladies.

Your replies made my heart go thumpety-thump. You've helped me cement the idea into place that I really did accomplish something and that I have come a long way. I know there will be more challenges along the way, but I won't forget this experience for a long, long time.

I love 3FC!

Chickadee