Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jiffy,

I also don't know if you remember me, I also used to post on the 100+ forum but I lost 75 lbs 18 months ago and although I stayed below the 300 lb mark for most of the 18 months, I have strayed to 300, realized it, then worked on getting down again. Basically, I've been fluctuating within the same 15 lb range for the past 18 months but I too am starting renewed efforts to lose weight because I don't like the high points. For a while though, I became tired of all the work on trying to lose weight, got tired of the foods I was eating and was perfectly happy in a maintenance mode. Although your nearly 300 lb loss isn't much compared to my 75 lb loss and I didn't have to endure the trials of surgery, I think I can understand somewhat. Keep up the good work and good job at noticing the creep and stopping it
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #32  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Hey jiff,
I need an update, good or bad, how are you doing?
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #33  

This is a very important thread and I'm very appreciative of the honesty in everything shared here. I think its so critical for people to realize they cannot take the tool of WLS surgery for granted as a magic bullet before going into it and stories like these need to be shared.

And yes, how are you doing jiffy?
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

Post ***newsflash!***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop
why is it that we can either lose or gain, but we can't maintain????? drat drat drat.
Because, until we are willing to permanently change our lifestyle, we will always be caught in this vicious cycle.

Look at it this way, for most of us our obesity is directly related to a) our diet and b) our daily exercise or lack thereof. For a few of us, medical reasons may also contribute. For me, perimenopause played a part.

Temporarily changing our diet to reach a weight goal (with a view to returning to our regular eating patterns) will NOT result in permanent weightloss since our "regular" diet is what helped make us obese in the first place. It's not enough to find "low carb" versions of ice cream and cake. For many of us, it's about giving up ice cream and cake and finding healthier alternatives (sorbet, perhaps, and mousse). It's also not enough to simply eat LESS of our current diet - Eating LESS of what is essentially an unhealthy diet is a poor long term weightloss strategy.

Remember these truisms are particularly apt when it comes to weightloss struggles:
Doing what you've always done will get you what you've always got
AND
Doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result is one definition of insanity.

So what if your neighbor/sister/friend can eat cake every day and not gain an ounce? Life is not fair. Get over it! (I did!)

Find an eating plan that you can stick to for life, and then go make your life the one you long for - healthy, slender, full of energy, love, and laughter.
csoar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #35  
Old Cackler

ya know - every time i come to this thread to post an update, i get so overwhelmed by all the kind comments and wisdom that i start getting teary-eyed and have to leave!!

and yes, derby and nelie, i certainly DO remember you two!!!

here's the update .... in brief.

it's been an extremely tumultuous few weeks. the results have been very positive, but the process has been difficult.

a new job landed in my lap - literally. but my current company reacted by panicking, and making major counter-offers, and promises. and frankly, despite their craziness, i really like my current company. but this new job offers much more in terms of a future, and doing things i really do well and enjoy. everyone's very sad about the situation, including me, but as of friday, it's been resolved....

in the meantime the AM has been a mess - major nosebleeds landing her in the emergency room, and she's been getting more disoriented. and sleeping more. it's been a lot of doc appts.

but i'm happy to report that there's more help on the way - both paid and unpaid. and i've found a dogsitter because i will no longer be able to come home at lunch and let maggie out.

that's the structure- the food thing has been difficult. but at some point, a bell went off [or i got hit over the head???] that i needed to WALK rather than wander around the house trying to avoid food. so i did. and it's helped.

i'm happy to report that the too-snug jeans were faced this morning, AND I WORE THEM ALL DAY!!!!

sooo, even though it's felt like i've been backsliding, things are working. could be better - even MUCH better - but i'm heading in the right direction.

thank you all sooooo very very very very very much...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #36  
*The Mighty Power Piglet*

carbonated beverages stretch your stomach? i did not know that..
Brytax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #37  

Congrats on your new job jiffy. And likewise on your positive shift in focus. Sometimes a woman has to take the proverbial bull by the horns and its sounds like you're back in focus.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote