Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Default Protein Shake Recommendations

Greetings! I'm a long-time 3FC lurker (who me post !?!?). I lost 50 lbs on Atkins in 2003-2004, which was when I did most of my posting and now that the weight has once again (!) crept back up I am pursuing WLS. I met with the surgeon yesterday and am now waiting for insurance approval. My surgeon is Dr. Ashley Vernon at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston and I'm going for the Lap Band. Their website has a really cool video of her performing the surgery.

Among other things, she wants me to lose 20 pounds before the procedure and to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to the surgery, not to mention post-surgery. They gave me a list of suggested protein drinks/powders - everything from lc Carnation Breakfast to EAS and HMR 500 (whatever that is).

I know which protein shake you like is a personal preference but I'd love to hear what people have tried and liked or disliked.

Thanks!
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

POOKIE IS SO SMART!!!

one more thing to add: make sure that you buy your shakes from a place that has a 'no questions asked' return policy. even though they'll take it back, it's NOT polite to stand at the counter and tell them it's disgusting [i've done that and they've asked me to stop!!!!]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #3  

Thanks guys - good advice. Nectar was the name of the fruit-based protein drink I was trying to remember from 2 years ago. And Jiffy, thanks for the return suggestion - I can see me at the front of a store explaining just how disgusting it is :-D
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I love Fitness Labs WheyFit Concentrate in chocolate. I've never tried the other flavors though. Try mixing them them with nonfat vanilla or plain yogurt. Delicious, like pudding!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Haha, thank you! It's been posted before but I'm really into primates and am going to school for it.

That's all, I don't want to take over the thread!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #6  

Hi Kim,
I'm a bandster - love my band and hope you will love yours too! My very favorite protein is Unjury. I use the unflavored, vanilla and chocolate. You can be very creative with them and since you won't dump, you can be a bit adventurous with juices and things to mix with it. It's available at the Unjury website. They also have sample sizes available so you can try it out.

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #7  

Kim! Hi! Working the 'way back machine' overtime but I remember you from the Atkins boards! How the heck are ya! There are still a few of us around but we have scattered a bit: Jiffy & Chickadee over here at WLS. Leenie kinda flits around, Ruthie is on the South Beach board, me and Robin are over at low carb.

It is nice to 'see' you! Hope you and yours are well.

*waves* to Jiff, Pookie, Ageoldie, Chickadee (and anyone else I'm forgetting). So sorry I haven't stopped by lately - busy life with 2 (non-driving) teen boys, multiple accounting clients and *blushes* dating!

Love ya guys!

Kel
Ms Spotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:17 PM   #8  

I've been swamped the last few days but finally had a few minutes for the computer while supper cooks. I'm actually enjoying trying out the various protein shakes and I'm discovering they are a good breakfast choice since I am always on the run and am supposed to lose 20 lbs pre-surgery.

Chickadee - thanks for the info and I'm sure I'll have a million questions. I'm slowly telling people I'm getting this done - talking about it is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Even though intellectually I know I've tried everything else it still feels like I'm "giving up and cheating". bleh!

Ms. Spotdog - good to see you around!! I still lurk in the other groups from time to time so I'll have to drop in and say hi to the other chicks from back then. I have a 12 yo Dalmatian so I've always loved your avatar photos.

Dinner just dinged, back into the fray!!
Old 11-18-2005, 06:24 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Kel ROFL !!!!

Is there such a thing as a REALLY high protein drink thats low cal, like 100 calories ?

Oh and it can't taste like doodoo sorry it just cant lol.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

nectar protein, leenie.... 90 calories, 0 g carbs, 23 g protein. and it makes good ice pops!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #11  
Movin on down the scale

I just got that WHEY LIGHT-Chocolate Protein mix from the protein factory.com and love it, I mixed it with a banana and skim milk in the blender...wow I have got 45g of protein now just in my breakfast...that is something I never was able to do, and it tasted GREAT, I am going to skip the banana I added to it next time to get the calories under control since a 16oz glass today I did this:
8oz skim milk (90 cals, 9g protein) 7inch banana (105 cals, 0 protein) and the mix (180 cals, 35g protein) so my total shake was 375 cals, 4g fiber, 45g protein. So if I skip the banana tomorrow, I will have 270cal, 1g fiber, 44g protein. Not bad if you ask me. I usually stay around 200-250 cals for breakfast anyway so this will fit right in. I am curious to see if I am even hungry at lunchtime.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Thanks Jiffy girl
Old 11-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

sounds like a great combination, gonnalooseitagain... unfortunately, those of us who've had WLS can't manage that huge protein load. we just don't absorb more than about 20-25 grams at any one time.

<sigh> at least, using your recipe, we'd end up with TWO meals out of it!!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #14  
Movin on down the scale

you could surely break it in half and have half in the morning and half in the afternoon.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:31 AM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Thats true, or save some for the next day.