Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #1  

Default New Fav Food

I finally tried Egg Beaters. I can't believe how good they are! I've been so frustrated with the slow down with my loss this past month, and at the same time craving carbs, but not wanting to eat carbs because I knew I was done for if I did. Calories have been the enemy this month.

I've always appreciated plain egg whites but they just got so boring. So I bought the egg beaters cause they're the same calories, 5 gm of protein per one egg's worth, and they taste so much like whole eggs!!

So, being that I've always loved baked custard I've been making myself custard at night by using 2 eggs worth (two servings) of egg beaters (50 calories), an equal amount of unsweetened soy milk (40 calories), equal amount of water. Add in a little no carb sweetener like erythritol or Splenda for those of you who tolerate that, just NO ASPARTAME and then sprinkle cinnamon and a pinch of nutmet on top. Put in small baking dish and sit in shallow pan of water and bake at 350 for an hour or till set.

OMG I love it!
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

aren't you smart??????? for a little while post-op, when NOTHING was staying down, i'd make an egg custard as well. it helped SO much.

my current fave food is steel cut oatmeal, but i'm usually hungry an hour or two later. SO, i have about 15 grams of protein shake before eating the oatmeal, and i'm good for HOURS.

my little secret: once the water is boiling [before dumping in the oatmeal] i sprinkle in some cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. oh YUM!!!!!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:56 PM   #3  

I feel like I have some energy again jiffy. And I'm back in ketosis despite the fact that I'm actually eating the same amount of calories. I realized last week that if I'm going to stay off the glucophage (Metformin) I just plain can't slack off on the carb thing. I could never eat a bowl of oatmeal without having major feelings of hunger and cravings very shortly thereafter. I can't even eat a cup of plain puffed wheat at this point it seems.

When I go radically low carb and STAY THERE I feel ok. Balanced if you know what I mean. That means no carby veggies like carrots, peas, even cabbage seems to be borderline for me for some reason. I'm ok with brocolli, mushrooms, onion, celery, and tons of spinach. I can handle salsa in small amounts like in an omelette (2 tablespoons).

Sometimes I feel so much frustration because I just want something different for a change! Did I mention I found Jalapeno Jack cheese that comes in at 35 calories for one ounce? That keeps me sane too. I'll divide an ounce in small wedges in celery.

I'm feeling like I'm really forced to eat this way, on top of the other restrictions around what I eat due to the surgery, just to stay off the medication and to lose weight. Last month was **** on wheels. First the change in scales, then really slow loss that was more like one step forward two steps back and so on, despite the calorie intake remaining constant. I still lost, but very slowly. I'm determined NOT to go back on the Metformin because I was to the point of feeling very, very unwell while on it and if I can do what I need to do without drugs then I'm all for it.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

oh hubs. you are soooo brave and strong..
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #5  

Back atcha jiffy! 100%
Old 01-29-2006, 10:40 PM   #6  
banned

The old Egg Beaters were HORRIBLE; they reminded me of that powdered crap they try to pass off to you in the hospital. But since they improved them, they taste like real eggs now and I've even used them in reciepes when I cook. Same with Splenda; it doesn't leave that crappy aftertaste in your mouth like Sweet n Low or even Equal did. They're putting Splenda in a lot of things nowadays too, which I think is good.

And now I have a thing for oatmeal and egg whites. NOT together, by the way. LOL.
LAnneCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #7  

The problem with Splenda is that part of the process involved in making it is the exposure to high levels of chlorine.

There are two other alternatives I like to at least make people aware of and they're available nearly everywhere, especially Xylitol.

One is Erythritol, the other is Xylitol and I'm giving you a link to my forum where I have information about both... and hoping the link can stay up.

<note from jiffypop the moderator: the link can't stay up - if anyone is interested in further information, please contact hubs via PM. apologies to hubs>