Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 PM   #1  
I'm under tall!!!

Talking My update....

Well, I had my physical today and it went great!! I have curvature of the lower spine, really bad knees and a cloudy left lens due to pressure in my head. A result of obesity he said. Hmm, never heard of it!!

I start my 8 week pre-op classes on January 5th. And while attending those classes, they want me to lose from 18 to 35lbs. Which is doable, I have done it probably a hundred times over the years. I need to start replacing 2 meals with some sort of meal replacement and I need to start on a multi vitamin.
I have my order for labwork, the number to make the appointment for a sleep test and to see the nut doctor. In the next 2 months I will also need to pay for all of these classes. It is a total of about $1,300 that insurance will not cover. And it has to be paid before I can even see a surgeon. So it looks like my tax return will be going for something useful this time!!

Oh yeah, to get down to my goal weight, I will need to lose 180 lbs.

I am on my way!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOO
TammyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:53 PM   #2  

I've been hoping you'd post an update TL! When I saw you post in the other thread I was wondering where you're at in your process. You sound like you've been able to keep up with the pace of all of this emotionally. So I gather you'll be scheduled very soon with the surgeon. Do you have to complete the classes and all before you see him? Or just pay for them? I hope this isn't a hardship for you financially but I understand the committment.

So tell us how this all feels to you at this point?
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:56 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

wow!!! look at all this!!! they really have you scheduled, don't they.

by the way, i'm hoping you'll tell us all about the classes. i'd heard that some centers were offering them, and others were requiring them. so i'm really curious about what they offer, and everyone's reaction.

can you be our spy?? please???
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #4  
I'm under tall!!!

Oh I would love to be your spy!! LOL
This clinic actually requires all the classes. That is why they have you pay for it all up front. So after the sugery, you can't skip out on post op classes because you already paid for them. I don't have to have to have the classes completed, just paid for before I get to see a surgeon.

I am feeling very positive about everything that has happened so far. I feel this huge weight lifted off of me and excitment in the fact that I am finally doing something for me.
Ever since I was in 8th grade and weighed 172 pounds, I have been dieting. I have struggled, I have yo-yoed, I have beat myself up, and there was even a short period of time I made myself throw up. My weight has consumed me and now that I weigh the most ever, I can't help but wonder about my future and my family. I am at a point where I can not go on any longer like this. For 20 years I have tried everything possible to lose the weight and keep it off. And I am now at my turning point. I am now at a place where I am willing to do whatever it takes to make sure I am around and healthy for my kids.

I am ready and totally thrilled to be on this journey!!!
TammyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #5  

TammyLynn, thanks so much for sharing your feelings. When I had the surgery the first time I was at that same point of just wanting to believe that once and for all, I was finding a solution and being fat and all that goes with it was finally not going to be THE issue in my life. When the surgery failed and I had all the complications on top of not losing ANY weight I was so devastated. Suffered terrible depression compounded with severe malnutrition.

The second time around I was sent to an entirely different surgeon who said the first guy botched my surgery and that was why it hadn't worked. He assured me it was nothing that was my fault and that with his expert hands I'd get rearranged and it would be successful. So once again, with my trust totally invested I allowed them to cut me open again. They said they fixed the damage done the first time and assured me of success. I was willing to go through it all with the desperate conviciton that this time it would work because I so badly needed it to. Again, no weight loss. More complications even more serious than the first time and overall my health was even more compromised. Would you believe I actually was willing to have yet a third surgery but the third surgeon (I flew across the country for an emergency consult) told me I was too botched to begin with and that with my pituitary tumour I should NEVER have had the surgery to begin with.

I'm not telling you this to pull you down at all TL, because you don't have the same issues health wise that I did. I'm saying this because for all I have been through I still so completely relate the need to have the nightmare of living in a fat body over. Which is why I never stopped being determined to lose this weight despite the failures with what I was certain was going to be a sure thing.

I believe that the choice to have WLS comes down to that. I guess what I learned was that you can get to that place of determination, as hard as it seems, with or without the surgery. I know that it doesn't seem that way before the surgery. I know the value of this tool to so many people. I envy the results in many ways for those for whom the surgery is successful. Isn't that ironic considering I've lost 150 some pounds anyway and despite the WLS failures?

The thing I'm most grateful for are the advances in these procedures. I DO believe it makes all the difference whose hands you are in TL. It seems you are in very good hands with your team. I'm so grateful for good care when people get it. As it should be.

I will watch for every word you post TL. You have my total support in any way I can offer it.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 PM   #6  

TammyLyn-

I would schedule the sleep study ASAP. Depending on the sleep lab, it can take several week or even a couple months- its not that bad at all of them, but there are limited number of sleep study beds. Plus, it usually takes about 2 weeks to get the sleep study scored- its not like a simple lab test...one night sleep study generates something like 900 pages of data they have go over. I just would hate to see you have to postpost your surgery because of problems scheduling a sleep study (though they can bump someone if they have to for surgery clearance or such).

Good luck with your surgery!
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 PM   #7  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Tammy, I'm thrilled that your surgeon puts such a high priority on the post-op classes. That is definitely key. I go to my "Healthy Eating" group each week and my WLS Workshop once a month. I love them both and it really helps me a great deal with the education and comraderie that goes with the group. I didn't have to pay for mine up front, but they are worth every dime.
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #8  

TammyLynn - sounds like you are making progress. Good luck! And hey, you may have spent some of your tax returns on the classes, but don't forget to include all of the expenses in your itemized deductions!
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #9  

TammyLynn!!! Where the heck are you these days? How are things going?