3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   Did something new... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/72047-did-something-new.html)

LessLori 01-07-2006 07:02 PM

Did something new...

I don't know what got into me today, I just have been wanting a change. So I went to new hairdresser today and told her I just want something different. I wound up taking 3 inches off my hair, long layering it and getting one of those cute flipped out hairdos! It is such a change for me, I have had looooong ( mid-back to waist) length hair for so many years. I love this haircut! I think on Thursday I am going to color it.

ANyway, I have been having some hair loss, she said she thinks I should start using some Nizoral shampoo. Had anyone tried it and is it worth it? I am keeping my protien up, taking all my vitamins, and supplementing with some Biotin too. She said since I am not seeing any hair on pillow it is probably just a normal reaction to anaesthesia ( I am 5 mo post op) but this shampoo is supposed to help with regrowth. I mostly get hair loss when I am combing out my hair when it is wet after my shower, and it is slowing down.

Any thoughts?

hubs 01-07-2006 07:14 PM

Nutritional Supplements Thread

I'm glad you're adding biotin, but there are other nutrients to consider too where hair loss is concerned. The B's, Zinc, Protein for instance.

TammyLynn 01-07-2006 07:23 PM

How exciting!! My hair is just about mid back and I have been wanting to cut it for so long.
I grew up with my dad telling me and my mom that short hair on fat people made them look like pinheads. So I have a huge complex right now. But as soon as I get skinny, the hair is coming off!!

hubs 01-07-2006 07:24 PM

LOL, pinheads TammyLynn!!! I'm sure your hair is beautiful but I totally understand feeling liberated by having it cut too!

indigo child 01-07-2006 08:32 PM

Well, I always thought long hair on fat people made them look like bubbleheads. So there. :-p ;)

I've had short hair for over 16 years now and love it. I will never go back to long. But I love long hair on certain folk, and TammyLynn is one of them! Still, I can't wait to see what kind of changes she'll be making after the major life-change she's about to! xxoo Tammy Lynn!

Lori, do you have any before & after pics of your hair? I'm actually a bit concerned about this hair loss thing. I've always had a head of thick hair...I hate to see it go down the toilet... :(

jiffypop 01-07-2006 09:21 PM

yes, protein is important, and yes, vitamins are important in dealing with hair loss, BUT the hormonal disruptions related to the very rapid weight loss also play a big role in this. from what i understand, protein and vitamins and nizoril [however it's spelled!] shampoo can help, but they won't entirely fix the problem. thank goodness for most of us, the hair comes back better than ever!

hubs 01-07-2006 09:26 PM

You're absolutely right about the hormonal factor jiffypop! And yes, it may all fall out but it will also grow back!

christineu 01-08-2006 03:34 PM

I notice I lose more hair when I have a hard time getting enough nutrion in due to the gastroparesis (chronic nausea & vomiting- I have a severe enough case that I have a feeding tube). I've always pretty much had long hair, so it wasn't as noticable- but I could tell by what barrets fit all my hair or needing to wrap scrunchies around ponytails extra times because there wasn't as much hair. Funny thing is that around the time the gastroparesis started, my nail actually started growing longer & stronger- which makes no sense to me....but I've given up on figuring out my wacky body :D

I went fairly short, for me at least, late last summer- they cut enough off to donate to one of the programs that make wigs for people who lose their hair do to medical issues. I was expecting that part, what I didn't expect was for the stylist to cut several more inches off- part of it was my interpretation of 'shoulder length' was very different then the person cutting my hair. But my hair grows back fast enough & I actually like the style- just in a little longer version.