Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-12-2005, 09:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Talking Got My Surgery Date!

Hi All, I've been lurking (and enjoying the answers about protein). I found out today my insurance is approved and when I told my Dr. that before Christmas worked better for me than after Christmas she was able to move my surgery from Jan. 3rd to Dec. 21st (talk about the longest night of the year!!).

I am having the lap band at Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston with Dr. Ashley Vernon. I am eating two protein drinks a day and a regular, small supper to continue shrinking my liver pre-op. I went shopping today for liquid vitamins and liquid motrin and so on. The kids will be out of school for two weeks and my mother will be arriving for two weeks which is why before Christmas works better than after.

Think good thoughts for me!
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #2  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

Oh Kim, I'm so excited for you! It seemed like the waiting for me was forever, too, and now I'm 3 weeks post-op and already 34 lbs lighter!

I hope you just love your band. I had a lap RNY and I love it! But I don't love being queasy sometimes when I have the dump syndrome, which you won't have with a band.

Good luck for you, and what a nice, early Christmas gift!
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

WOW!!!!!what a christmas present!!!!! congratulations - and you've been doing so much prep work, the post-surgery life should be smooooooth sailing!!!!!

keep us posted!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #4  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Congrats! I'm so excited for you! Let us know how you're doing, please.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 312/288/165

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations and please keep us posted.
debo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #6  
huggle83

congrats! And good luck! Keep us posted please!
melissa
missmeliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #7  

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and encouragement. I spoke with the nutritionist today and confirmed that I will be doing 2 protein shakes and one regular meal between now and the last day pre-op. Her advice was to drink lots of water.

I will definitely let you guys know how it goes!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #8  

Congratulations Kim!

I hope you love your band as much as I love mine. It is a roller coaster ride, and a really fun one at that. Please feel free to pick my brain at any time about band stuff, since I've been there, done that.

Good luck!
Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:05 PM   #9  

I haven't had WLS, but I've had lots of other surgeries. The best advice I'd give you right now is to be as active & exercise as much as you can now because you won't be able to for a while after surgery. That, and make sure who ever is with you at the hospital has chap stick for you when you wake up...my lips always get so dry from being intubated and the dry hospital air Its much better to have chap stick then have to resort to KY jelly because its the closest thing they can find at 1 am...been there, done that

Good luck with your surgery- I hope it goes well & that you have a speedy recovery
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #10  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Well Kim happens to be a great friend of mine! I have been though this jouney with her for the last 5 years and know she has though long and hard about this choice and not wanting to choose the "easy" way out.

Kim you know I will be there in spirit for you as your number one cheerleader. and I will do my best to post a post-op report as soon as I hear form the man via e mail while I am away. I couldn't be happier for you and I promiss to go to the gym with you after the kids go back to school.

Be well my friend, I love you fat and I will love you thin and everything inbetween.
-L
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:16 PM   #11  

Thanks -L for your kind words and all your support!! I will email you (or have DH do it) ASAP after the surgery. And yes, Jan we will get our butts back to the gym, hopefully on the treadmill/eliptical but the pool if the knees won't do the rest!!

Enjoy your trip!