Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaLooseitagain
...wow I have got 45g of protein now just in my breakfast...
That is a lot of protein all at once- I would be careful since too much protein can be really hard on the kidneys & liver, plus it makes it harder for your body to absorb enough calcium. Because of the extra work by the kidneys, too much protien can actually dehydrate you- which is something we want to avoid when dieting. 45 grams of protein is enough for the entire day for someone who weighs 125 pounds (0.8gr per kg body weight or 0.36gr per pound body weight) and at your current weight (182), you should be aiming for 65-70grams protein per day. I only have one kidney (lost other one due to congenital defect that wasn't properly diagnosed/treated) and even though I have very normal kidney function- to the point they never suspected I only had one functioning kidney until it was discovered on an ultrasound- the nutritionist recomends no more then 15grams protein at one time. She said even people with healthy kidneys shouldn't take in more then 20-24 grams at a time, which is in line with what JiffyPop said for individuals who are post WLS.

Another issue with a lot of the protein powders is that they only have protein and no other nutrients. Our bodies need a variety of nutrients to fuction properly. sorry...accidently clicked post .... Typically we should be aiming for 10% of our daily calories from protein, 15% if you are pregnant, lactating, during growth spurts for kids, or involved in high indurance activity. I'm not sure why you would want to eleminate the banana, as it is providing fiber & other nutrients, espeically potasium...which you may very well be low in if your kidneys flush too much out along with the extra protein. I'm not trying to lecture or anything- I'm just worried about the misconceptions some people have about protein. Due to my own medical issues, I've had to learn a lot about what we need nutritionally and how I can get it in since I can't eat a regular diet. I know how easy it is to focus in on one aspect of our nutrition too much and end up throwing everything else out of balance.

Last edited by christineu; 11-19-2005 at 04:01 PM.
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:04 PM   #17  
Old Cackler

christine - you've raised some excellent issues here. for a period of time after the surgery - and i'm talking about the bypass here - not the lapband, which doesn't have the absorption issues - we consume only about 500 calories a day. this lasts for about 6 months. soooo, in order to keep our bodies functioning during what's basically a period of starvation, most of us consume protein almost exclusively. especially for the first three months [after that we start adding veggies and a wee bit of fruit - and i DO mean a wee bit!]. we need it to keep our bodies going.

this high protein intake isn't meant to be a long-term thing, although we forever need higher than most people intakes because of the relatively poor absorption.

after about 12-18 months most of us settle into a program of 40% protein, 40% veggies, and 20% high-quality carbs. and that's by volume, not necessarily by calories.

i'm so glad you've joined us!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop
...although we forever need higher than most people intakes because of the relatively poor absorption...
I understand the poor absorption with my GI issues. I really do think I'm going to learn a lot from hanging out here...its all those little things of apply what we know to what we do that I need help with. That, and coming to terms with not being able to eat a typical 'healthy' diet. I was having a hard time with needing to use meal replacement bars so much; but when I consider I was able to survive on the enteral tube feeding formula, its not so bad in my case. I'm careful about which ones I eat- though my corn/corn syrup allergy elemenates a lot of them- but I've found some I really like. Besides, they work pretty well when I can only handle a couple bits at a time...some days it seems like I always have one sitting next to me. I've tried protein/meal replacment shakes, but I don't do well with them. Part of it is that I drink it so slowly that its hard to keep it cold...I may have to try freezing them, like I use to, and then running them through the grater on my KitchenAide Mixer to make them into 'snow cones'. I lived on them before I got my feeding tube...its funny how we forget some of these things.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #19  
Old Cackler

christine - every single time you post something about how you've managed to cope, i am simply AWED by your determination and positive attitude... you're on the highest pedestal i can find!!!!!

what kind of protein shake did you find that worked for you?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:54 AM   #20  

Jiffy-

I was using the ScanDiet meal replacement drinks...I might have to pick up a couple packets of them to see how I do since its been over 3 years now. I've also been thinking about using some of the protein powder or even meal replacement powders in some of my baking to increase the nutrional values. I've scene a couple recipes on-line...guess I need to look for some more to give me ideas as to what works & what won't. I really did like the fake ice cream/snow cone effect I got with freezing the drink & then grating it...thank goodness for having a Kitchen Aide mixer with all the attachments- I don't think one of those little kiddie snow cone makers would have held up too well. I supose you could make the drink in ice cube trays & put them in a good blender that can handle ice as another option. I've been checking out some of the protein drinks you guys have been talking about, and I think I might have to Nectar brand one of these days...I bet they would make a good 'slushy'.

When your in those first few months post WLS, how do you make sure you get enough nutrients in? I know they recomend taking vitamins & using protein drinks, but that doesn't seem like enough. I would immagine that you have to have blood work done frequently to check on your metabolic status- I went through that early on with my feeding tube and still get it done every couple of months or so, just to be safe. I'm so glad I finally realized that I had a lot in common with those who've had WLS- its so hard for most people to understand all the issues that come severe gastroparesis.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:25 PM   #21  
Old Cackler

christine - in a word, the first few months, we really don't get all the nutrients we need, not even with supplements. BUT, we generally have enough stores to get us through for awhile. it's LATER that the vitamin deficiencies hit, and it's individual for everyone.

depends on many factors, including diet, and the amount of bypassed intestine, and genetics and all kinds of other things. and some people wiht the bypass never develop deficiencies [haven't figured that one out!!!!]

we have to get blood work done at least annually, but most docs check every few months, especially if we're borderline.

you're right - it's not easy!!!!!

and nectar-based slushies - great idea!!!!
Old 11-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #22  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaLooseitagain
7inch banana (105 cals, 0 protein)
Just curious where you got this...everything I have says a banana has between 1-1.5 grams of protein (and 3-3.5 grams of fiber).
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #23  

What type of stores would carry the Nectar brand? I'd like to try some of the different flavors, but with shipping, it gets pretty expensive. I checked at my favorite health food store, but they didn't carry it.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #24  
Old Cackler

i've been finding it at the vitamin shoppe. maybe your local store could order it?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Vitamin Shoppe worked for me too. They had a couple of flavors in stock and were happy to order others for me - took about a week to come in. They also have a good return policy where you can bring it back if you just didn't like the taste/consistency/whatever.

I just got the kiwi-strawberry and it tastes good - a nice change from milk-based shakes.
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:09 AM   #26  

Darn, none near me....closest is 1 1/2 hours away I wonder if any other places would carry it locally?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #27  
Old Cackler

you'll have to let your fingers do the walking!!! but i can promise you that GNC DOES NOT CARRY THIS. they only carry their own company brands.

good luck!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #28  

Hellol, I was so pick with my protien drink. I used the powder form mixed it with 4 oz of cold water and 4 oz of skim milk (instead of 8 oz of water) I used CarbSoultions creamy vanilla.. Its awesome.. its 20 grams of protein per drink.. and its easy on the tummy. Hope you find one you like.
JustPeachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:07 AM   #29  
unemployed karma fairy

S/C/G: 245/146/149

Height: 5'5"

This whole thread has been very interesting.

I've been using the Isopure drinks, sipping them all day long (40gm protein, 160 calories for 20 oz.) It works as my fluid, too.

I can't seem to take any other shakes but Atkins Advantage, with 170 calories and 20 gms protein. I like the orange creme and the strawberry.
indigo child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #30  

I've been having problems drinking my shakes too. They were really tasting nasty. I've been using the powdered shake from GNC. I asked my doctor if it would be alright to use a different brand. He said that I could look around, but the reason why he recommends this brand is because a lot of the protein drinks are for bodybuilders that are trying to increase their muscle, and therefore have added fat and sugars.

He suggested adding a little bit of banana like others have suggested on this forum. I add about a third of a banana. I have been adding ice to it in a blender as well. Last night I didn't have any ice in my tray so I used an orange sugar free popscicle. It tasted pretty good. It almost tasted like an orange julius. I think I'm going to try it again tonight.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote