Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default What's the best advice you could give someone who's having WLS?

As the new folks come on, many of them ask the same questions, and we have answers all over the site for them. But I got to thinking about those bits of GREAT advice that we have that are more about living with this over the long haul rather than the 'mechanics' of food, water, exercise.

soooo, how about it? what's your best advice?

Here's mine [and i'm sure i'll come up with more over the next day or so]

Next person!!!!!!
          jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 10-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #2  

Talking Best Advice for WLS

The best advice huh...I guess mine would be...be sure to take your vitamins and understand that your stomach is no larger then the top of your thumb. That you no longer can wolf down food and not to think that this is a quick fix...cause its lifelong!!

gastric bypass..May 26,2004
          weight at that time....248
          bmi ......................... 44
          Todays weight.......... 183
          BMI today.................32.4
          Im still considered obese!!
          janet_921 is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 10-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #3  

Default Best advice for Wls

Did any of you guys get depressed the first month...like what did you do??? I thought for sure I ruin my life with this surgery. I wouldnt tell anyone, just kept it to myself but oh wow was I sorry I had the surgery...Then I started going to our hospitals website for gastric bypass and it seems that alot feels that way the first month...like we lost our best friend or something. It passes and the second month I was on the way to loving myself.
          The only problem I have had has been my husband...he hates the weight loss...would prefer me fat..that way no one looks at me...I know I know..hes insecure...and I just dont deal with it. But, now after 16 months..I now find I have to really watch what I eat...or I will gain..and Oooo God in Heaven....I truly dont want that...
          These are just some more thoughts...my thoughts come in spasms...lol
          Old 10-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #4  

No Pookie....I didnt....dang!! Had a docs appt and missed the entire show...Im sure you cant tell that she is my most favorite of all.....lolol
          Old 10-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #5  

Pookie,
          Here in the Pittsburgh hospital that I went to...after the surgery we had to be on a liquid diet for 3 weeks...broth, popsicles, suger free jello, decafe tea or coffee and I think that was it..After then we went on a soft diet...my first meal coming home from the first docs appt after my surgery was 1/2 c cottage cheese, 1 scrambled egg and slice of toast...lol...I ate the egg...that was all I could handle..
          Maybe the liquid diet is why we all got depressed around here....lolo but, once you started it...then it wasnt all that bad....
          Old 10-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #6  

Default My Advice

• Be patient! Especially if you're a lapbander like me, the weight loss will be slower, because it's designed to work that way!
          • Read, research, study! Know what you're getting into. I see so many posts from people (mostly on other sites) who are clueless. I think the less surprises the better off you are. Be an informed patient.
          • Research the different types of WLS. Just because someones friend's aunt had a certain type of surgery, doesn't mean it's the right one for you. Just because one surgeon only does one surgery, doesn't mean there aren't others who advocate other types. Again, read, read, read. Read the good the bad and then do it again! I am always so sad when I read posts from people who have just gone to great lengths to have this major surgery, who then wonder if maybe they should have had another one. Don't do that to yourself!
          • Jif's right, you gotta EXERCISE! I think it's very important. I saw a family on The View this morning who had all had WLS who were kind of suggesting that exercise isn't all that important. I mean, afterall, they were all losing weight without it, so why do it, right? Can we say long-term success people? I think you have to get it into your brain from the get-go that regular physical activity is very, very important for overall health and keeping the weight off. It's been said many times before, but is worth saying again - you have to work the tool for the tool to work!
          I think that's it for now.

Good idea for a post Ms. Jiffypoo!
          Chickadee
          Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 10-04-2005, 10:07 PM   #7  
          Old Cackler

i'm so out of it - where did they get this family??? i know a family in which all but two of the members had the surgery. the mom died from complications, but the rest of the family decided that the benefits outweighed the risks. each of them really worked with the surgery - exercise, food control, head issues. none of them got to goal, or even to one-derland, but the difference between weighing 500 pounds AT SURGERY to living at about 275 is WAY worth it.
          jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
          Old 10-04-2005, 11:01 PM   #8  

Stay away from Blue Cross.

Period.

I need a new surgery to get the screw out of my @$$.

Don't like my comments? Tough.

Goodbye to all.
          Stevie Christine is offline   Reply With Quote