3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   A Poll for Those Who are Considering WLS (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/65510-poll-those-who-considering-wls.html)

jiffypop 09-20-2005 09:17 PM

A Poll for Those Who are Considering WLS

so, everyone - tell us how you REALLY feel about exploring this option...

Valarie250 10-19-2005 01:50 AM

Getting ready

I first started considering WLS earlier this year after a few months of dieting and exercise with no results. I was diagnosed with PCOS, which explains the inability to lose, but offers no hope. Some family members told me I was crazy for even thinking about it, so I stopped talking about it, but kept researching. A few months ago, still without sucess, I again brought it up to my sister and mother, and they were more supportive after seeing me fail for so long on my own. This is my last resort. I'm young (23) and mostly healthy, but my health is starting to go down hill. I'm doing the RNY to, hopefully, save myself from being diabetic in the next few years, save myself from infertility, save myself from immobility...

Valarie

gbo 10-29-2005 06:21 PM

I am waiting for a surgery date now. About three years ago I began on 3fatchicks under low carb. I lost 104 lbs. It isn't the first time I have lost so much but as I am now 51 it is of dire importance as my health is poor. After losing so much weight and fighting my own health issues as well, the time came when I was down (bedfast) for many months, yet again. My back went out, and just when I began to get better I had severe pnemonia, then during revovery from this my left leg began to swell to unbelievable proportions. No blood clots but lots of edema. Unable to walk on it many months went by , very little movement (of course) and the weight came tumbling back on despite all my efforts. In a three months 67 lbs returned and I became depressed. Something I just do not do.I gave up. Tricare again allowed gastric bypass so here I am waiting for my surgery date with hope renewed. I found a highly skilled Doctor who has preformed 1800 of these surgeries , had it himself and is a precious man to boot. I traveled three hours to him and am so glad I did. I am currently back to where I started here so long ago plus 5 lbs. 368lbs. I have issues to overcome with several large hernias but I hope all will go well. I know the drawbacks and had done over a year of research online before making a move to have this procedure done. I am ready.
Pam

jiffypop 10-29-2005 09:46 PM

oh pam. i remember you!!! you've really been through the wringer in so many ways, and yet you always have such an upbeat attitude!

we'll help you in any way that we can... chin up, darlin! you're getting the help you need.

debo71 10-31-2005 11:57 AM

I am currently doing my the 6 month doctor supervised weight loss program, with no luck. Even though I am only eating about 1500 calories a day I am hardly losing any weight. I have done WW several times and gained the weight back several times. I discussed the surgery with my doctor and he said with my family history of a long line obesity, that this is probably a good option for me. This is a last resort for me but I consider it a great tool. I have a great husband that supports whatever I do, no I am not doing it for him. But I am doing this for me and my children. I just really want to be healthy and not in pain. I also want to be able to go to amusement parks (which right now I can't fit into the rides, which can be depressing), and do all the things my kids want to do without just sitting off to the side watching. My heighest weight was 304 and now I am at 296. My goal is not to be skinny minnie but to just be comfortable.

Sandi 11-09-2005 01:16 PM

Well, some of you may be a wee bit suprised to see me here. Just today, just right now, I am seriously considering this as an option. I just can't make myself follow a plan and I don't want to die. I know that this ISN'T the easy way out, but it may be the only way out.

I won't annoy you with 1,000 simple questions, because I have done almost zero research. Just wanted to show my face. But where do I start? With the Insurance company?

jiffypop 11-09-2005 03:26 PM

MWA MWA MWA sandi. do the research. talk to everyone you can find, and then make your decision. we're with you every step of the way.

and yes, it's a good idea to see what your insurance will cover, and what their requirements are that you'll have to meet. at least, you'll know what you'll have to do and have an estimate of how long it'll take.

iwasskinnyonce 11-29-2005 12:02 PM

Gastric Bypass

I had a friend that did this surgery and it was not without difficulties but the thing that I realized is that it doesn't address the issues causing over eating in the first place, she was food addicted, I mean she would gorge and although she has lost over 100 pounds her skin is loose and not flattering, and she doesn't exercise and she STILL has the drive to over eat! I don't think it is an end all beat all situation, I believe that it still requires a great deal of change and planning because you can restretch the stomach that was downsized, over eat and put the weight right back on. I know that for some it is a solution, but I think that it is NOT a one size fits all, like anything, I personally have decided not to have the surgery because I want to lose the weight naturally, and I don't want the heinous scar, I know it might sound bizarre, but I have no flaws on my skin I am just too fat!:smug:

blackheartedwolf 01-11-2006 03:46 PM

I wonder who thinks it is an easy way to lose weight? It isn't easy at all. You have to change your entire lifestyle, PERMANENTLY, and you have to conquer what makes you over eat and choose unhealthy foods to eat or else this surgery does not work. You may lose at 1st, but if you fall back on old eating habits and do not exercise, you will soon gain all the weight back. WLS is only a tool. It won't work if you don't use it properly.

I am waiting for an RNY, and am in the process of losing my pre-surgery 10 % weight.

LAnneCarrington 01-11-2006 04:59 PM

I began my journey toward WLS on March 29, 2004--yes, I remember the date!--about three weeks after I made up my mind that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, being in constant pain (I have arthritis in both knees as well as once had pain so bad with my periods, I actually had to take Vicodin to allieviate it), depressed and being in and out of hospitals with my cardiac problem.

I had tried everything previously from Xenical (and had a violent reaction to it that I won't get into here), to near-starving to Slim Fast, and nothing changed. When my PCP told me about the option of WLS as well as recommended a 1500 calorie/35g fat daily regimen, I decided to look into it.

I found a wonderful, caring surgeon through research on ObesityHelp.com who guided me through everything from the required pre-op testing to getting approved by the insurance. It was perhaps the most enlightening 18 months of my life, to say the least.

As I mentioned in another thread, I was scheduled for Roux-n-Y gastric bypass surgery on 9/28/05, butI didn't get the gastric bypass done, because once they had opened me up (laproscopically) to perform the procedure, not only did I have several intestines twisted...but a rare condition termed a malrotated digestive system was discovered.

To put that in more simple terms, everything is on the OPPOSITE of where it should be (example: my appendix was on the left side instead of the right). This is found in 1 in 5000 adults in the United States and those who have it usually experience no symptoms that anything is wrong at all. To think I walked around for 43 years like this!

So the surgery I DID receive instead was to correct this problem as best they could (untwist the intestines and remove scar tissue) as well as remove my appendix as a precaution in the event I ever got appendencitis.

So at present, I have been referred for the laproscopic banding, which has been successful in patients with my condition and am consulting with the new surgeon on 1/24/06. The surgeon I will be seeing has trained with the top experts in both Australia and Europe and has a great track record, so I am optimistic that this will work out after all.

My previous surgeon also made the point, which I also saw in a couple of posts here in so many other words, that just like any other weight loss program, WLS is NOT a cure, but a lifestyle change. There were actually other patients in the office during my visits that were/have undergone WLS a second, third, even a FOURTH time. No thanks; one time will be enough for me.

My nutritionist also stressed this as well that once the surgery is done, your eating plan has to change altogether and one needs realistic views toward food and weight loss, which I have been more than ready for in the past coming up on 21 months.

Familyof5 01-12-2006 03:42 PM

I have been diagnosed with PCOS by my ob/gyn and I am struggling with my weight loss. This is different than any other time as I am writing down everything I eat and drink, keep track of calories and fat, am exercising 4-5 days per week and I am not losing weight. I am actually gaining weight!!!

I have an appt. March 3rd with my family doctor and if I don't lose weight by than, I am really going to pursue weight loss surgery because I have changed my eating habits and I work out now so making a lifestyle change isn't the issue, the issue is losing the weight even with all of my changes!

brandnewme 01-12-2006 08:31 PM

I just realized I hadn't posted on this thread before.

I am considering WLS for various reasons, but the main one is that I just want to be healthy. I may never get to the elusive 'goal weight' and I may never look quite the way I always dreamed I would when I was younger. If I live an extra 5, 10, or 20 years because I've become healthier, it's enough for me.

I have PCOS and am a diabetic. My cholesterol and blood pressure are high. I want children at some point, but I don't want to have children when I'm so unhealthy. There's a long family history of cardiac and pulmonology issues. My maternal grandmother died of a heart attack when she was 54, my paternal grandfather suffered from 3 heart attacks before an aneurism killed him, and my maternal grandfather died due to emphysema at 73. My father currently has emphysema and has for the last two years - he's only 63. There's a history of a couple of types of cancer as well as the above issues. In other words, I'm a walking time bomb and I really don't want to be detonated. I plan to be a stubborn, ornery old lady who chases people off her porch with a stick.

WLS isn't my only option. I've tried to tell myself it is just to convince myself to go ahead with WLS. I've tried all the other options I can think of and my doctors can think of, but one way or another I will get the weight off. Right now, I think my main focus is that WLS may be the tool that jumpstarts the loss that I need to be healthy. I'm undecided as to whether or not it will be the tool I use, but I know that no matter what I do, there's no easy way to do it.

channning102 02-24-2006 04:58 PM

A friend of mine had WLS. I thought about it, but have no health issues associated with my weight. IMO having surgery and eating like that for the rest of my life is harder than dieting. I lack the discipline for that. But I love going to WLS boards they know so much about protein and hair loss(which runs in my family) and other weight related issures.

yalondah 03-14-2006 03:37 PM

considering it

For the first 16 years of my life I was 135pds and 5'7" after I got pregnant with my first son i gained 50 pds and only lost 20 of that after I had him. so that put me at 170 (which right now doesn't sound to bad) I wish I weighed that now. I then gained 22pds 3 yrs later I guess age catching up with me or something I don't know. But then I found out I was pregnant with my second son so I couldnt do anything about the 22pds I had gained. I had to wait 9 long mths. After I had him then I could finally start loosing. It has been 8mths and i have been up and down (mostly up) on my weight and I really can't live like this. I have to do something about my weight and I'm about ready to try anything, including the surgery I have tried pills diet and excersise and still haven't lost I just keep gaining more. The only thing stopping me from getting the surgery is not having the money. :(

LChin1978 03-15-2006 01:29 PM

I am currently trying to get approved by my insurance to have lap band done. I have been overweight since I was 10 years old, with my highest weight at 334 (which was not that long ago) at my last weigh in i was 313 but I go back to my dr tomorrow for another weigh in (crossing fingers). It's a long process to get approved...i don't have great insurance. lots of hoops!