3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Surgery

Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

A Poll for Those Who are Considering WLS

View Poll Results: Why are you considering WLS?
It's the easy way to lose weight 30 5.89%
It's a last resort for me - I MUST make this work 238 46.76%
My doctor suggested that I look into it 88 17.29%
People I know have lost lots of weight after WLS 102 20.04%
I'm willing to do ANYTHING to get this weight off and keep it off 245 48.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 509. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2007, 04:00 AM   #31

Hi,

68 is not so bad. It's never too late in my book, hey I'll be 52 next month myself.

The liquid diet - umm no I never went on this.

A little background: I'm American but have lived in The Netherlands (Holland) for almost 7 years now. The Dutch only do the Lapband (conservative) so I went to Belgium which is right next door for the RNY. From reading all the posts here as well as other wls forums, the Europeans definitely do things differently.

So I had no liquid diet in advance nor did I have to lose any weight in advance etc.

The cost was very low compared to the States as well. I paid only 8700 euros (cash or credit card) which might be $10,000 for the works! My doctor is very well known in Europe as he has performed over 7000 wls and only lost 2 ppl. These are very good stats.

Anyway, so the cost was at least managable. LOT'S of his patients fly in from all over the world - in fact, they offer these package deals which include the airfare and hotel.

Hair loss. Umm I've noticed hair shedding but - not so bad so far. (fingers crossed!) btw, I forgot - I did tell my hair dressor as well - just to prepare her in case I did lose a lot.

Anyway, good luck on your surgery. I'm not usually on this board though. I'm usually on the obesity help and thinner times boards which are really good for the RNY!

Enjoy!

Do keep in touch!

LAP RNY
Surgen, Dr. Dillimans - Belgium
Date of Surgery - Jan. 24 2007
5'8 1/2"
Surgery/Current/Goal
280/230/150

Last edited by jiffypop : 06-07-2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: removing links to outside boards
becky8933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:38 AM   #32

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasskinnyonce View Post
I had a friend that did this surgery and it was not without difficulties but the thing that I realized is that it doesn't address the issues causing over eating in the first place, she was food addicted, I mean she would gorge and although she has lost over 100 pounds her skin is loose and not flattering, and she doesn't exercise and she STILL has the drive to over eat! I don't think it is an end all beat all situation, I believe that it still requires a great deal of change and planning because you can restretch the stomach that was downsized, over eat and put the weight right back on. I know that for some it is a solution, but I think that it is NOT a one size fits all, like anything, I personally have decided not to have the surgery because I want to lose the weight naturally, and I don't want the heinous scar, I know it might sound bizarre, but I have no flaws on my skin I am just too fat!

What you are saying IS true. You can regain your weight if you don't adhere to a lifesyle change - meaning watching what you eat, drinking water and exercise.

Btw - you won't have a bad scar if you have the laproscopic (sp?) wls. They just make five 1/2 inch incisions in your midsection. Already mine have faded considerably and it's only been 5 months!

The statistics are this:

90% of the people that go on conventional diets gain it all back (and more)within 5 years (haven't we all been there!) That's why I finally wrote off the conventional weight loss route. I must have lost and gained a million pounds by now!

However - 20% of people with wls gain it back within 5 years. And these are the folks that REALLY applied themselves to gaining it back.

These are good statistics in my book, but yes, if you apply yourself you can stretch your pouch and some people even go in for a revision to another wls like the DS. These are the exceptions.

The wls is just a 'tool' to remove that crazy 'I want to eat everything' thing from your head (thank the Lord ... because I barely have a desire for anything now at all) and of course the malabsorption helps take the edge off!

But after that honeymoon period of the first 6 - 9 months your body kind of adapts to the malabsorption and finds ways to compensate and your pouch naturally grows a bit ... up to 6oz. By then though, you should have adapted good lifestyle choices during so that when the honeymoon is over, you can MAINTAIN your weight loss. That's the catch!

Again, wls is only a TOOL. It's up to you to use it wisely.

LAP RNY
5'8 1/2"
Surgery/Current/Goal
280/230/150

Last edited by becky8933 : 06-07-2007 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #33

I am going to have the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. No malabsorption, no dumping. Of all the procedures this one appeals to me the most. I am waiting to speak with the nutritionist and then I will be scheduled for the surgery.

WLS 3/25/08
Reached Goal Wt 11/28/08

You have to have a dream to have a dream come true!
quilting lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #34

Hi,

I'm not trying to discourage you but ... I think you if you want to go 'under the knife' .. you want the wls that has the highest sucess rate and that been around the longest so you know what to expect.

VSG has one of the lowest rates of success.

Have you done your research? Because I did and the RNY is the 'gold standard' of wls.

I have meet several people in person and on the net that all had stories of not needing the RNY because they 'only' had to lose X amount of weight or they were afaid if side effects etc and months later - they were complaining about their poor results.

You should visit this board obesityhelp.com and check out all the wls forums to get a better idea of your options.

I'm not trying to act like your mama .. but knowledge is power.

LAP RNY
5'8 1/2"
Surgery/Current/Goal
280/230/150
Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #35

S/C/G: 195/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

My mother had this surgery and she has never been more happier! She was at about 275-280 when she talked to her doctor about it. Her insurance covered every penny because they could prove it was for health issues, wich it was, everyday i would wake up hoping my mom would live another day being how heavy she was, there was just so many negatives by being that heavy! She had a little complication after, she was sick for a few days.. Then she started losing weight rappidly. She went from around 280 to a petite 135, she looks better than me! Im so proud of her, she doesnt hide in the bathroom anymore when guests of hers want to soak in the hot tub, shes the first to put a suit on now! Woo Hoo mamma!!

skinnyvanilly2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #36

S/C/G: 260/146/140

Height: 5ft 4in

Default Ready to start my 6 months

Hi everyone! I am new here even though I have been reading the forums for years. First of all I wanted to tell everyone that I think the comraderie here is absolutely wonderful!! I decided in December that I wanted to have surgery. When I talked to my doctor he told me he "does not believe in that and will NEVER give a referral for surgery." I felt like the air had been left out of me! He then proceeded to tell me to starve myself at least once a week because "I'm fat, my body will handle it." At that point I decided I was hopeless. I contacted a bariatric surgeon and got all of the requirements that I need. I changed my doctor this week and I see my new one in March, I see a glimmer of hope!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!
Jiggly Wiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #37
Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Jiggly, good for you

I remember going to my doctor at my wits end, crying, no where to turn and she just totally ignored my plea for help. I also switched doctors and I'm so happy I did. My new doctor is AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #38

I really feel this is a last resort for me. I have lost 100 pounds 3 times in my life, just to gain it back. I hear people talking about so in so who lost a lot of weight.... and then they add, they did it by surgery though. I really don't think surgery is going to do it ALL. I know I am going to have to work at this. I wish everyone understood that this is a life change. You will never be able to eat the same again if you want to use your tool effectively. I know I am not experienced at this yet as I have yet to have my wls, but common sence should answer some of this for people. I don't want my coworkers to think I took the easy road when in acuality, it was the only road available to me for long term weight loss success and a healthy life.
Bizzy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #39
Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Bizzy Bee..... If you don't want your co workers to know...do not tell them. IMHO the less people know the better off you are.... its in peoples nature to be jealous and judge what they do not understand. I choose not to tell anyone, including my inlaws.... and I'm SOOOO glad I didn't tell them....because there are going to be rough times even with surgery and they just wouldn't understand.... but thats me.

We all know its not the easy way out...having some one cut you open surely isn't an easy thing....actually its quite brave. And your 100% right...its a tool not the cure... even the tool can backfire if you choose to let it.

did you get a date ?

Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."

Last edited by Leenie : 03-09-2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spell check...oy vey
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #40

S/C/G: 304/304/250

Height: 5'9"

Well, I'm considering WLS...and have done for years, with no real hope of being able to do it. Then, the last week of February, I learned that my insurance will cover the surgery, with certain qualifications, of course! I talked to my doctor, who actually suggested I consider the surgery before I had a chance to tell him I wanted to talk about it! Now, I'm in the process of getting authorization from the insurance, and finding a surgeon and facility that accept my insurance...two different sets of circus performances going on here! And, my insurance will change at the end of May, so this may truly be an exercise in futility...but I hope not!
I have seen others who have done well with WLS, and, others who've done not quite as well. So, the reality that I must face is that this is a tool, and that I still have issues to resolve, and that this is NOT a quick, easy fix. As I said, I've thought about it for years, and really as just an option, until I read the letter my doctor wrote to my insurance company! He didn't say anything that wasn't true, but did he HAVE to be so blunt! OUCH! It was very painful to see all my diet failures listed in one place, along with additional health issues, and the reality that I am morbidly obese. Whew! I was able to type it all the way out without fainting...that is progress!
At this writing, my authorization request is in review at my insurance company, and I have submitted medical records to a surgical center to see if they will consider me as a candidate for lap band. I would LOVE to say that I will get back down to what I weighed in college...in reality I will be so thrilled to just lose 50 or 60 lbs, and then re-evaluate.
But I want to be around to see my grandkids have kids...
Sizzlin60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #41

S/C/G: 269/266.5/150

Height: 5' 1 3/4"

Default For my health.

This was not an easy decision for me. It has been over a year in the making. I have been overweight for nearly 15 years now, and have tried every diet you can think of, but instead of losing weight, I've managed to just get bigger. I have TMJ, sleep apnea, bursitis in my shoulders and hips, a bum knee which makes it hard to exercise more than swimming, and I am diabetic.

At my heaviest I was above 280. Right now I am at 269 and I am barely 5'1". I have been at 269 for a year now. At least I haven't gained anything, right? For five years various doctors have been after me to have gastric bypass and I always say no. I personally know people with horror stories. I was afraid. But then my current endocrinologist introduced me to the LapBand procedure. I have waited an entire year before taking the steps to have the surgery. I figured one year wouldn't hurt much, and that would give me time to research, to ask questions, to meet people who have done it, to be informed.

Well, I'm informed. I'm motiviated. I'm very tired of high blood sugars, headaches, trips to the chriopractor, and just sick of being sick.

I don't want to be stick skinny. I don't want to be teeny tiny. I have a healthy goal weight in mind, my primary and my endocrinologist both say I have a healthy attitude about the entire thing, and they've BOTH written recommendations and referrals.

Tricare Prime has given me the green light and I have my first consultation on Monday.

I know this isn't the perfect cure for anything. I know its still going to be hard work from me that makes it all happen, but to actually be able to see results for once? That's all I'm asking for.
la bella bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #42

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Go for it!

La Bella Ma: I'm not a lapbander, but I'm a professional fatty!! LOL!! I had my RNY in October. THere are so many smart people here and they will support you. Good luck in your WLS venture. We will be here for you.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #43

Weight loss surgery is definitely not the easiest way out, however it has a far better success rate long term than dieting and excercise alone which has a 90% failure rate at five years.

I just wanted to add to the post from the person who said the VSG - Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy - has one of the lowest rates of success is incorrect, the lap-band is definitely the least successful and has the highest rate of long term complication and re-surgery rates.

Gastrectomies (partial stomach removal) have been used for 30+years to treat ulcers, tumour and cancer, and the 'sleeve' has been part of the Duodenal switch for many years. The VSG was developed from the results of splitting the DS into two parts for really high risk patients. While some people with very high BMI's may require the second part of the surgery to create the malabsorption component, the results showed that weight loss and maintenance was achieved by the vast majority of patients who only had the gastrectomy part.

Therefore the VSG as a stand alone Weight Loss Surgery only has a history of about five years and it is so far being proven to be nearly (and more in some studies) as successful than RNY and DS with minimal long term complications, unlike the lap-band and the malabsorption surgeries.

Please fully research each surgery before you make your decision, as your individual situation will determine which surgery is right for you, and that might not be the same for anyone else.

Personally, after EXTENSIVE research, I am choosing the VSG over the lap band, for many reasons, I do not want the malabsorption component of RNY/DS gastric bypass, I am quite happy to have the grehlin (hunger creating hormone) removed with that part of my stomach, and the long term complications, maintenance and high risk of re-surgery with the lap band is not conducive to my lifestyle, and I want a permanent fix to my weight, which the lap-band cannot offer.

For what its worth, new studies are indicating that complication rates with the lap band are up around 40%, and a number of surgeons are now not recommending the lap band. My surgeon would do either on me, however my nutritionist who has many wls patients has advised me that healthy nutrition is easier to achieve after the sleeve than after the band.

The VSG might not be the best solution for everyone, but the only way you can know for yourself is to research every type of weight loss surgery thoroughly yourself. Go to websites like lapbandtalk.com and obesityhelp.com and read the success, difficulties and complications of each type of surgery before you commit yourself to wls.

m2

PCOS, Sleep apnea, IR and Hypothyroidism
VSG: April 2009
move2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #44

S/C/G: 320/261/200

Height: 5'9" 1/2"

I have been struggling with my weight all my life. I have been on diets and lost the weight and over a year or two the weight would come back on. I would get depressed and that would just add to the problem. Finally this last winter I became so down that I just did not care anymore. My DH would try to encourage me but I did not want to have anything to do with it. Finally one day a flier came in the mail that offered something local. My DH in tears explained to me that he wanted to grow old with me and he wanted to be an empty nester with me and he felt that if something did not change for me that the possibility of growing old with me was not there. So after watching my twin sister go through the process and going to a seminar with me we both made the decision to make it happen. I still work on getting insurance approval but I am on the road to a better me and I can see a positive end. I can see by going through this that I will be able to loose the weight and keep it off. I do not have the dreaded doomed feeling of why should I do this and it only last a while.
philandja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #45
Hanging in the Heartland

Great to read all of these posts. I have jumped through all the hoops and am currently cleared for RNY surgery. My doctor wants me to lose 50 or so pounds to do it laporoscopically but will do the open surgery now. I am working on the weight loss and losing about 4-5 pounds a month. I am nervous about the surgery as I have lots of allergies (to silicon for instance) and have aquantainces that have had very bad results (not regarding weight loss) that have created significant and serious lifelong health problems. I figure i don's really have to make up my mind until I have lost the rest of the weight my surgeon wnats me too.
Healthy nutrition, exercise and stress reduction are my #1 priorities

activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.