3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Surgery

Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

A Poll for Those Who are Considering WLS

View Poll Results: Why are you considering WLS?
It's the easy way to lose weight 30 5.94%
It's a last resort for me - I MUST make this work 236 46.73%
My doctor suggested that I look into it 87 17.23%
People I know have lost lots of weight after WLS 101 20.00%
I'm willing to do ANYTHING to get this weight off and keep it off 241 47.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 505. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #16
Kyethra

Height: 5'8"

Its not something I consider for the immediate future, but for maybe in about a year I suppose or something like that.

My health is not good. I have severe GERD which is mostly under control with medications and other lifestyle things. I have fibromyalgia which is flairing up at the moment. I have a sleep disorder which can just completely disrupt my ability to function. And, perhaps most importantly, I have an entrapped nerve ending in my abdominal wall. It acts up everyonce in a while in response to things like abdominal muscle spasms (from the fibro) and so forth and then I have to go to a pain clinic to get an injection, but it is acting up with a really increased frequency. I fell down in the fall and hurt my knee and now it swells up and aches, etc.

Also I want to prevent other health problems like diabetes or joint complications. And I want to get pregnant in a few years I think. But not until I am healthy.

While I would rather not have surgery in general, I think I could do the lap band. Ironically, the health issues are one of the reasons I think surgery might make weight loss easier to do in terms of discipline. When I feel crappy or my life is out of control because of sleep issues, etc, I just can't focus on what I am eating or weight loss issues. I actually tend to stress eat then or eat to try and stay awake or whatever. and I feel I need more consistency in order to be sucessfulll, but at the moment I feel like it is impossible for me to do that- it would be just another ball to juggle. I don't know if that makes much sense.

Right now I am going through medication changes and lifestyle adjustments with the health in a slump. So if those are sucessfull I can get back on the weightloss wagon and see where that leads me.

I got married on August 12th !

Fitday journal:
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...?Owner=kyethra
kyethra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #17

Once a long time ago I felt that WLS was my only option. I always ate right, low fat, lots of green veggies, and no scrap of junk food to be found in my house at all. I even taught a few friends of mine how to cook healthy, converting them from "pizza-and-wendy's-bacon-cheeseburgers" to spinach salad w/ vinegarette, lemon grilled chicken and almond couscous.

While I was close to 250 lbs eating healthy and not losing a pound, my converted friends whom I taught to cook were dropping weight like crazy (and they ate MORE than I did!!!). Over the years I had tried every diet out there except atkins with no success.

So I picked up aerobics, weightlifting and kickboxing. After going to the gym regularly for three years and still seeing no weight loss I didn't know what to do. I was doing everything "right" to lose weight, but I'd either stay the same or gain! My best friend took aerobics with me, and she would lose weight but I wouldn't no matter what I did.

I saw a doctor and brought with me a food journal for the past 1 month. He scoffed, said that if I were telling the truth about what I ate, that I'd be losing weight. HE suggested I go on a 500 calorie a day liquid diet and "stop stuffing my face and then lying about it".

So I decided to see a weight loss clinic instead. My thyroid tests were normal, blood sugar normal.. They couldnt find anything wrong with me. So, it was once again assumed that I was a closet overeater. "There's no magic to weight loss: calories in, calories out. You need to burn more than you consume". been there, tried that, didn't work... I never went back there again.

Surgery looked like the only way out of the thick layer of fat around my body. The more I thought about it, the more I tried to justify the surgery and ingnore the negatives associated with it. I saw it as a means to an end, nothing more. My lack of funds stopped me from going through with the decision.

My boyfriend at the time would convince me to try Atkins. I tried it and lost 15 lbs. I was perplexed on why this weird diet seemed to work for me, there was a chapter in the Atkins diet book about "Insulin resistance" (hereinafter "IR"). The symptoms of IR spelled out the story of my life! The more I learned the more I became convinced this was my mystery problem.

My boyfriend became my fiance, and with his new job I got some very good medical insurance. So I began my quest to investigate my suspicion of IR. I asked my new doctor about IR, she scoffed at me and somehow assumed I was asking her for diet pills "everybody wants a damn pill!". When I insisted on a "glucose resistance test" she dismissed me and pointed me towards a weight loss clinic. I called that clinic and asked about getting a "glucose resistance test", they immediately refused "Oh we don't do that sort of thing here. We're all about behavior modification!"... I never spoke with them again.

Along with the new insurance I also got a new OBGYN. I didn't bring up my weight problems or my suspicion of IR. Instead I asked her about my 9 day long periods and the intense crippling pain. I refused to take BC pills because when I was 17 I took them and gained 50lbs within 3 months. She said to me: "I'm going to have you come in on monday for a glucose resistance test. I think you may have insulin resistance." The next week the test was done, and it was confirmed that I had IR. She explained to me that IR requires a special diet to "work around" the metabolic impairment, and sent me to a nutritionist who put me on a very special low-carb diet (very different from atkins). So far I've lost 50lbs this year, and I'm only 30lbs from my goal weight.

If you have considered weight loss surgery, please stop and make sure you get checked for insulin resistance first!!!! It is very mysterious and TOO easily overlooked by doctors, especially when they pre-judge you for being overweight and don't bother to investigate!!!

If you have PCOS and are thinking about weight loss surgery, please get checked for IR also!! PCOS and IR usualy go hand in hand- if you have one, it is likely that you have the other.

I've seen a lot of people with PCOS and IR loose hope and go through WLS because they were misdiagnosed or didn't know how to properly diet for the disorder (finding a good nutritionist was the key for me!). Please see a medical professional with experience treating IR/PCOS and directing their patients through successful weight loss. They are worth it! And if you're like me- with IR or PCOS+IR- you'll be thankful that you spared yourself that stomach stapling, and weeks of pain & misery as you teach your stomach to accept solid foods.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:28 PM   #18
Old Cackler

sub - i'm glad you've found something that worked. but please believe me that most of us have tried - and failed - low carb diets for a wide range of reasons. for us, WLS has offered us the best chance of losing weight and keeping it off. and frankly, there's a school of thought that believes that all of us who are heavy enough to qualify for the surgery have IR. we always have to be carb-controlled.

start: 506 [Sept 2001]
weight at gastric bypass [Jan 29, 2002]: 409
current weight: 225
weight for plastic surgery: 200
final goal: 180

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not medical advice. See your physician before taking advice found on the internet.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:15 PM   #19

Smile

jiffypop, I empathize entirely because I've been there, too ; But if anyone feels I've placed a placed a blanket statement on which diet everyone should be doing and what everyone's metabolic culprit is then they are mistaken. Does everyone with weight loss diffulty have IR? Absolutely not, I never said that at all. I'll reiterate what I wanted to convey: anyone having weight loss difficulty should be tested for IR to rule it out as a cause, especially if they have PCOS. Why wouldn't anyone want to rule it out? Having that piece of mind is very valuable, especially when considering WLS as a last resort. In my case it wasn't finding "something that worked" it was discovering the underlying medical cause of my weight gain + difficulty losing weight. With that piece of the puzzle solved, it opened up new solutions to me. Many are undiagnosed and considering WLS as I did in the past; all it takes is one blood test to find out!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #20

Surgery for me has ended up as the only real option. I have tried everything from WW to Jenny Craig to Atkins to South Beach. I've exercised, I've journalled, etc. I was thrilled in late 2003 when my MD recommended the surgery. The road since then has been a bit wacked, but I am passionate about bariatric surgery, its benefits and its results. Do I think anyone should just jump into it? **** no. Do I think it is for everyone? Definitely not. Is it an "easy way out"? Anyone who thinks it is, need their head examined.

My knees are shot. My back is screwed. I have relatively nasty fibromyalgia that I suspect will improve greatly when I get weight off. And now, I have an umbilical hernia that continues to get worse and has greatly affected my ability to dance and exercise (thereby hindering my pre-op weight loss). Kaiser won't fix the hernia until I've had the gastric bypass (it would be cutting through the repairs they made, and make a mess). So as of next week, my bariatric MD is putting me on Optifast (an extremely restrictive liquid protein diet). This is another option that I would never say should be taken lightly, nor would I ever consider it as a long-term "diet plan". We're only doing it to get my pre-op weight off, quickly, so they can get me in there and get the hernia fixed and my bypass done.

Do I believe gastric bypass is my best option? I believe it is my only option at this point. My body is falling apart, rapidly. I'm 35 years old, and I feel about 20 years older. This surgery will save my life. And yes, there is the slightest chance it could take my life. Kaiser South San Francisco's program is one of the best in the nation; their death rates are less than 1%. I'm willing to chance it. I'm otherwise healthy and strong, and I'm a good candidate for a variety of reasons. I can't wait to get on with my life, living healthy and living well, and I'm more than ready to make some sacrifices to do it.

Thanks for this poll. Very thought provoking. Nice to be back, too... it's been awhile.

~ C
MermaidInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #21

Default Just want to feel healthy again

At this point in my life (almost 40) I really just want to feel healthy and be able to jump out of bed and start my day, and right now it is a struggle. I have chosen the Lap Band because I don't want to be out of work and at home for 8 weeks.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #22

I sound like a broken record, but I too have pcos, gerd, sleep apne, hernia and slight depression most of these have been diagnosed during the last couple of months as I prepare for my lap band surgery (surgery should be sometime the end of Sept.) I have spent all summer researching and asking lots of questions about wls and I feel I still have so much more to learn, but I guess some questions will be solved with just trial and error. I have been over weight for about the last 10 years and I am ready to change this for good!!! I have wonderful family that would love to see me healthier and happier. I am hoping that someday very soon I will be able to keep up with my 2-year old twins!!

"Nothing taste as good as skinney feels!!"

daynaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #23
Old Cackler

dana - LOVE your attitude, but i'm wondering if ANYONE can keep up with two-year-old twins!!!!!!!

start: 506 [Sept 2001]
weight at gastric bypass [Jan 29, 2002]: 409
current weight: 225
weight for plastic surgery: 200
final goal: 180

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not medical advice. See your physician before taking advice found on the internet.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #24

Exclamation How to keep the secret?

Hi Ladies,

I'm reading these posts with great interest as I'm seriously considering the procedure.

My question is - how to keep my 'secret'?

I work in an office and though my co-workers have watched me try and fail a zillions diets ... what am I to say when I actually START losing weight with the bypass?

I have a BIG personality so I can't just pretend nothings going on ... and I defintely don't want anyone to know as I will certainly be JUDGED and talked about.

On the other hand .. I don't want to tell an out and out lie .. and somehow, one day (who knows) everyone finds out - then what?

Any ideas?

btw - I must say I take exception to people making posts about just trying yet another diet ... as that's what they did ... and now they are losing weight without the surgery. I'm thinking ..'who cares' ... people that are on these threads have mostly tried EVERYTHING.

This another reason to keep my secret (though I will tell my close friends) ... people telling you that all you have to do is this thing or that thing.

Sorry - just had to get that off my back.

I'm serious about the surgery and it is scary ... so I don't want any nay sayers. Becky.
becky8933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #25
Kyethra

Height: 5'8"

I don't know- that is a pretty big secret to keep. Also, if you ever eat around people at the office they are going to notice you are eating differently especially after the surgery. And maybe someone would ask what is going on- for a variety of motives. I suppose you could just say that it is a new diet. But you do have to take time off of work for procedures. I don't know which one you are considering. I think Bypass is more dramatic and people are definitelty more likely to notice that one. I suppose if you are really worried about it you could try to change jobs after something like gastric bypass.

I got married on August 12th !

Fitday journal:
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...?Owner=kyethra
kyethra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #26
angst and eyeliner

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5' 3"

i am currently at my highest weight ever- 230 pounds on a 5'3" body. i have pcos, ir, gerd, hypothyroid, and the list goes on! ever since the pcos and ir flared, i have gained weight no matter what i try. pills, diets, exercise, etc. the dang scale won't budge. i am frustrated. i am seeing an endocrinologist to get my hormones under control, hoping that the weightloss will follow. however, it is a slow and uncertain process. i spoke to my gp several months ago about gbp and he said i would be a good candidate. on one hand, i think it would be great but on the other hand i am scared to death. i'm an icu nurse and have seen so many of them "go bad" with nasty complications and while it is vain, i don't want to go through the hair loss. so i sit on the fence.

isenephthys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:15 AM   #27

Default I did it!

Hi all,

I haven't posted in quite some time ... but I'm now 10 days out from my RNY surgery and I feel great!

I decided against the lap band after doing my research and reading all the maintence hassles, eating problems and the fact that it has the lowest sucess rate of all the WLS.

I wanted the FOR SURE method ... not the FOR MAYBE methd and the RNY was the 'Gold Sandard' in WLS.

I think there's a lot of misinformation floating around though. You will not need 8 weeks off work. I'm taking (in total) 3 weeks off work but I can already tell I'll be ready to return after my second week.

I still feel a little stiff across my abs where they made the incisions and I do get tired sooner than usual ... but I am recoving nicely and am soooooo happy I did this!!

Safe? Yes. My doctor has performed 7000 procedures and only lost 2 ppl - but they had problems to begin with.

Just my two bits.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #28

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

Becky, I was thrilled to see your last post about having the Surgery. How is it going and will you tell me how much you've lost? I'm scheduled for June 20 for RNY and am eagerly waiting my new life.
New Life began: June 20, 2007
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:09 AM   #29

Hi,

Welcome to the LOSER'S bench! There's plenty of room ... we'll just squeeze over a bit!

Well, I had my 4 month surgiversary May 24th where I was down 45 pounds! I only weigh in once a month on my surgiversary date (no sense in driving myself nuts!) but I figure in this last week or so I've lost another couple of pounds.

Yes, I'm one of the slow people but my BMI was only 41 so I'm really (kind of) a lightweight.

I am VERY happy had the surgery and I'm happy that it's a slow loss. Mainly if it's too fast you have the loose skin issue - which can only be fixed by .. more surgery and of course, you'll have the scars etc.

I'm self pay - which pretty much wiped out my savings so I DON'T want more surgery. (Actually, I think I will get a boob job next year - but that's optional!! )

So I'm spending the remainder of this year saving - getting myself back to where I was.

Second, no one knows at my job - except the HR lady of course. So they are seeing me slowly slimming down and it LOOKS like I'm just eating right and exercising etc! This is fine .. I don't want alllll the attention. You know, people judge you for having this surgery - so I only told a few friends.

When I order meat etc for lunch .. people all assume I'm on the Atkins diet which is VERY simular to our diet .. that is NO BREADS. (Well, you can have some - but NOT MUCH.)

How do I feel? GREAT! I had no complications and had a fast recovery!

I would say that after 2 1/2 weeks I felt EXACTLY the same as I felt before. The only thing is, since I eat so little food, my energy level is not as high as it used to be.

You know - your appetite will be almost NULL.. THANK THE LORD!!! So I have to remind myself to eat 5 - 6 times a day. If I get busy at work or whatever ... and skip meals - by 5:00pm I feel TERRIBLE!!! This is because with the RNY, I have a 30% malabsorption rate. So on an average day I might get in 800 calories but since only 70% of those calories are obsorped ... then maybe I'm down to like 550 a day! So I CAN'T miss meals or I will be dragging!

Water - I should get 2 liters a day - but I'm lucky if I get in 1 liter. It's hard. Before wls I will guzzle 1 liter in no time .. but with the small pouch .. I can only sip. So it takes much longer.

Anyway .. sorry to ramble on like this! I hope your surgery willl go well for you also!

If you have any questions, please let me know!
Becky

LAP RNY
Surgen, Dr. Dillimans - Belgium
Date of Surgery - Jan. 24 2007
5'8 1/2"
Surgery/Current/Goal
280/230/150
Old 06-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #30

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

Thanks for the info and replying, Becky. I will be using my medicare but have to pay the remainder which will amount to quite a bit,(thousands) so plastic surgery isn't in my future either unless I have to sell the house or something. LOL. Depends on how I feel I look, I guess. I'm so glad to hear you're having an easy time of it and was able to go back after two weeks. That's wonderful. I'm 68 so I know I'll be slow but not planning on it slowing me down. After the weight loss, I then have to have my knees replaced. Looks like a busy year for me. Did you stay on your liquid diet for three months?
I'm a slow loser also so will be glad to compare weight loss with you. I think you're doing great with your loss and like the way you're not telling fellow workers. I've not advertised it either. Only my immediate family know and my hair salon stylist. Had to tell her so she can watch for my thinning hair!
Have you noticed that yet? Oh, I'm also having the RNY. My doctor left it up to me and that was my decision also. I had gone in for the lap band but since I need to lose so much weight, figured the RNY was the way to go. At the present I'm really trying to get all this water down and I am on my liquids for the pre-surgery. Please keep me informed. I'm with you all the way.
New Life began: June 20, 2007
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.