Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Last edited by POOKIE88; 06-20-2007 at 01:17 PM.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:14 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

pookie- once again, you are A STAR!!!

i also hit a plateau every 10 pounds - sometimes the plateau is a week and sometimes it's up to 6 weeks!!!!

ooooh. feb 16 is peachie's birthday - a good day!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #3  

Pookie,

These are great tips. As much research as I did beforehand, I don't remember anyone speaking of actually gaining weight at the time of surgery, yet many do. As much info as we have about plateaus, it still seems to come as a major shock to us, and we all feel we are the only one that WLS will not work for. It is good to have that info out there. All of your points are well taken, really. I am almost five years out, and several of them are as relevant to me today as they were in the beginning.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #4  

These tips are a great tool to keep in the back of my mind!! Thank you for posting them, it helped me out alot. Thank You, Carrie
dekalbc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:37 AM   #5  
RDY 2B HLTHY

Pookie,

Thanks for the update. I had actually read these before the surgery but of course I forgot. I had done all this reserch befor the surgery but I guess after it happens you forget some. Also I know everyone is different and I just have to remember that.
sdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #6  

This is awesome! I did the plateau at 3 weeks and just about everyone I've met who's had the surgery has, as well. And I stalled every 10 pounds, too. I always thought I was the only one!

It was the first time in my LIFE, though, that I was losing and holding. As long as that scale didn't go UP, I was a VERY HAPPY camper! LOL
Juliesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #7  

I just want you to know that WLS is not a cure all. I had surgery 12/7/2002 lost 70 pounds in 7 months and stopped. I am still stuck at 270 pounds. I am joining you all to help me improve my habits especially the currently non-existant exercise. LOL

Glad to be here

Terri
tharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

well, it's sure nice to meet you, terri!!!!! hmmmm. nonexistent exercise???? hmmmmmm.

well, jump in!!!! we're here for ya!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 PM   #9  

Yep

The only exercise I get is walking around work, etc. I am always too tired in the evening and I am NOT a morning person. I know that exercise is something that I have to add in...just need to do it (as NIKE says).

Glad to be here

Terri
tharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 PM   #10  

Terri, have you had your bloodwork done lately? How is your iron? I found out about 3 or 4 months ago that I was severely anemic. I had been really tired and just couldn't exercise or do much of anything in the morning or in the evening. But now my levels are close to normal and I'm feeling much more energized!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #11  

Hi Pookie,

I went to a hematologist and he instructed me to take 325mg of Ferrus Sulphate (you can get it over the counter from the pharmcist) ALONG with 500 mg Vitamin C. This should be taken at least an hour after eating and an hour before eating. And not to take with any dairy (Calcium). So, I would think that an hour is ok, but maybe 2 hours to be safe.

He had me taking the iron twice a day. So, what I did was schedule it once in the morning (between breafast and lunch) and then once in the afternoon (between lunch and dinner). Then I take my calcium in the evening. I only take the calcium once a day. If you take it twice a day, maybe you could take it in the morning when you first wake up?

And no, I haven't had the elevated liver enzymes. Does your doctor know what is causing it? Are you on other medications that can cause this?

Julie
Old 08-21-2005, 02:55 AM   #12  

Thanks, Pookie for the tips. I will be prepared for those plateaus now. It is wonderful to be down even a few pounds, but I am already missing food. Usually find that commercials or the smell of my family's meal (tonight is was steak) are worst when I am hungry. It is weird. I am not good at knowing that I am hungry and am not getting any cues yet. Has this happened to others? Also, I need to get some diversity in what I eat. Do you suppose it is too soon for a soft egg (I am only 11 days out of surgery). Thanks, Deevs
Deevs is offline   Reply With Quote