feeling 'normal' yet?

• i've noticed that many people who've had wls have this idea that they're being 'punished' or something, and that they now have to live with a whole series of restrictions and 'must do's' that no one else does.

but after reading all over this forum, and talking to a whole bunch of others, i'm figuring that what we have to do is not all that different from what other people have to do.

>
    • we have to watch what we eat - and so do they
    • we have to exercise - and so do they
    • we have to take care of ourselves - and so do they
    • we have to control our food demons - and so do they

soooo, i feel normal - does anyone else? <or have i lost my mind again? always a possibility
  • I feel normal! Well, at least where food and weight issues are concerned...

What helped me most was hanging out in the Maintainers area here at 3FC. They are where I am with regard to nutrition and exercise. People who have had weight issues and have lost weight, through whatever means, are a different breed than those naturally thin people who have never had weight or food issues. Even at that, I'm not sure how many people get to my age (40s) without being more mindful of exercise and nutrition, unless they want to start the downward slide that comes with aging and our sedentary lifestyles.

My issues may differ slightly from theirs, but not terribly much. I supplement differently. I alter my carb/fat/protein ratio slightly differently than some. But the basic mindset is the same. It has to be. I think we all know people who have lost weight, by whatever means, and regained. I've been that person way too many times, myself. I refuse to go there again.

This is exactly what I wanted going in. A level playing field. I can maintain. I can lose 10 lb or 15 lb. I can get the most nutrition possible from every bite. I can supplement faithfully. I can be mindful of food and exercise, in a positive, healthy way.

Dawna
  • Hi Jiff, I know what you mean. I think trying to find our "new" normal is hard. For me, before my surgery, I did try every diet out there known to man, but always looked at it as a diet and inturn a short time change. I always went back to my old way of eating and gained back whatever weight I had lost plus 10 or 20 pounds. Since my surgery I've lost all the weight and now I have to find my new normal. Like you said we're just like everyone else now because we have to watch what we eat and exercise. I think it's hard for us "me" because I've never in my life done those things and for the most part when I did I hated every minute of it. In all honesty sometimes I miss being able to eat the ice cream or the watermelon, or even just a chicken breast. Those things make me SSOOOO sick and I know I'll never be able to eat them again. So sometimes it does feel like a punishment. But when (like today at lunch) I go into the mall and I pull on a new pair of size 8 paints and they fit it's all worth it, and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Jiffy my darlin', I'm completely normal (yeah, that's right, no laughing)! My very favorite thing about having had surgery is that I feel like the playing field has been leveled and that I have the same fighting chance to be healthy and thinner that all the "normal" people do. I was abnormal when I'd diet my tush off only to have it not work. My LapBand has given me the opportunity of a lifetime! No whining from this chick!

Chickadee