Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-25-2005, 09:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Default At what point are you a candidate for WLS?

Hi Ladies, I am doing weight watchers so I ussually post over there, but I some times come over here and read your posts.
I'm just wondering what makes you a candidate for WLS. Some of you have a high weight similar to mine. My doctor has never mentioned the idea of WLS to me. Is it something you decided on or was it suggested by the doctor? Does more go into it than just weight, like high blood pressure ect...
Just curious because you all seem so happy with the results.
thanks,
Jennie
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:29 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

jennie: a lot goes into the decision. in general, a person qualifies if he or she is at least 100 pounds overweight. if someone is about 80 pounds overweight and has co-morbidities like hypertension, respiratory disease, diabetes, or sleep apnea, they'll also generally qualify. it's very rare to get approved without the support of your regular doctor. some of us raised the issue with our docs, and others heard it from THEIR docs. and there are quite a few docs out there who don't believe that the surgery is good for ANY patient.

WLS is for those who have tried EVERYTHING and failed over and over and over again. it's a last resort, and not for people who have never been on a diet. the center where i had mine done actually threw out a man who weight more than 600 pounds. the reason: he had NEVER dieted, and had heard that he'd be able to eat anything he wanted and lose the weight.

soooo, from your ticker, it looks as if you're borderline, but there are other factors that go into this than just your weight.

and it also looks as if WW and you are doing well together... keep us posted! no matter which way you decide to go, the self-control and food management skills you're developing on WW are just the things we post-ops need as well...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #3  

I decided to have surgery when I found out about the Lap-Band. And Jiffypop is right, you use the same skills that you are using now in WW. The thing about WLS that has helped me is that my appetite was way out of control. I would get ravenous if I started losing weight. Now, if I put out the effort to lose it, it tends to stay off without a huge fight from my body.

There are certainly trade-offs, though, so if anything else would have worked for me, I would have used more conventional means.
Chickita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

thanks Ladies,
It was always just something I've wondered about because the results seem so fabulous. Its great that you all are doing so well.
Jennie
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote