Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default any questions you regret not asking?

I think there are a lot of serious things we've all done, that we've walked away later thinking "I wish I'd asked about... "

Are there any questions you didn't ask, or didn't know to ask before WLS, that you wish you had thought of?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

interesting question, suzanne... i wish i had known - really known - how poorly prepared surgeons, their staff, and primary care docs are in taking care of us over the long term. it would not have made a bit of difference in my choice - since i had none - but the more people i talk to who are more than, say, 18 months out, the more who say that there's not a single support group sponsored by a health care organization that addresses our needs.

it baffles me. we look to these surgeons, dieticians, psychologists, etc., as people who 'know something' about the aftermath of the WLS process. but it turns out that they only know the treatment, and not the management.

IMO, since there's no understanding of why we got this way in the first place [beyond the punitive 'it's your fault' attitude], there's little in the way of real knowledge about the physiology and psychology of the surgical results...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Suzanne, Jiff, I got really lucky. At the military hospital where I had mine done, there is a support group every month, given by the staff. There is a bariatric nurse and a physicians assistant who both attend to answer any questions and do any reasearch we may need deeper info from. Also, my psychologist has quite a bit of experience with WLS patients and he is very supportive, for a late 30-something guy. I don't regret not asking any questions, because I went in loaded for bear. I knew there would be a serious short fall of primary care people with a lack of knowledge, therefore I would have to proviide that knowledge for those primary care provider losers who refuse to keep up with changing medical times. Sorry if I offended anyone, that's just how I see it. The medical community has to adapt to the needs around it. Until such time, I must point out their shortfalls to them. Understanding our differences in treatment really isn't that difficult. Anything metabolized by the liver is now only absorbed 50%, and there are certain theings we can't take or have done now. And the other things that come along with malabsorption and intestinal surgery, like blockages. Sorry, I'm rambling again. So, no, I don't regret not asking anything. I knew what I was getting into 100%. I wish everyone could say that. I'm sure somewhere down the road I will feel like I can't say that anymore, but as for now, I am very satisfied with how things have gone.

Angie
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:09 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

angie - ummm. offend US??? are you KIDDING???? we are behind you 350%!!!! medical people don't know nearly as much as they think they do, and so much less than they should... it's miraculous that we do so well!!!

as for support groups, most places have the resources to get post-ops through the first year, maybe 2 in a pinch. but beyond that, they're ill-equipped. soooo, since yours seems to have its act together, we're going to be counting on you for all the information about how they run it, what's good, what's not... we need you!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:54 AM   #5  

There are really no questions I regret not asking. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but when I had my first appt with my weight loss surgeon, he laughed at me (good naturedly) and told me he thought I knew more about the procedure than he did. I had researched thoroughly and spent almost a year on the "boards" for the type of WLS I knew I wanted. The main questions I had for him were about his ongoing studies of patients who had had WLS and what new info might be available that I had not found elsewhere. That is the same reason I go back for yearly check ups with the weight loss surgeon. I want to know what they have discovered after following their patients longer.

What I see a lot is people intellectually "knowing" something, but realizing down the road that emotional makeup plays into our perception of the information. Some things we have to learn over and over again.

I agree with Jiff that knowing more about what it is like to live with the surgery after several years would be great info to have.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #6  

I'm pretty much the same as Dawna. I researched my surgery so much, that there's still nothing I feel I should have asked. The thing I see too much of is people not researching all of their weightloss surgery options. I think people should ask more questions about the different types of surgery so that they don't have nagging doubts afterward. I see all kinds of posts from people wondering if maybe they should have had the Band or DS or RNY instead of whatever it is they chose. People need to go into this knowing absolutely that their choice is the right surgery for them.

I also think people need to make sure they have thoroughly researched their surgeon. There are so many different approaches to surgery and aftercare that you need to be sure you find the right fit for you. Okay, so that wasn't really what you asked Suzanne, but I got off on a tangent!

Have a great day, all!
Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote