Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #46  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipren View Post
I am Ipren and had a duodenal switch weight loss surgery in April 2009. I have lost about 52 pounds since then. My goal is to be at 125 pounds and this means losing another 44 pounds.

I was losing more pounds right after the surgery. Is this normal? Does anybody have some suggestions about what to eat and what not to eat because I want very much to reach my goal and I think that what I am eating may not be appropriate. For instance, some times I have one slice of multi-grain bread for breakfast, some fruits for lunch, and 2 tablespoons of rice with 2 ounces of salmon for dinner. I do have at least four cups of regular coffee with 3 splenda and 2 ounces of half and half per cup. When I feel like eating something, I would have a dozen of cashew. Unfortunately I am not exercising because I was told that I have to wait a year after the surgery. I could walk but have not been able too because I am recovering from foot surgery.

Anyone has any advice for me?

Thank you.

Ipren
Wait a YEAR to exercise? I'm sorry, but that's craziness. Exercise if you want to. I had my surgery at the end of March and have been exercising for weeks and was cleared to start exercising even before then. So, unless you have some other medical restriction (well, like your foot right now), that's just craziness. Who was your surgeon (I'm feeling an Elariny vibe from that comment)?

For foods, try to limit the carbs. I wouldn't do toast, rice, and fruit all in one day. Focus on protein first, do not limit fat (unless you are having bathroom issues), and save any carbs for dead last and, even then, only if you have enough room in your tummy for them.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #47  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to the Dark Side.

I guess what concerns me a bit about your eating plan is the lack of protein. DSers need to consume between 80-120 grams of protein per day. Now since you're still relatively new you prob. won't be able to get that much in (I know I sure couldn't). However, instead of the multi-grain bread for bkfst. I'd have protein (or have it with the bread). Same for lunch. Fruit is good for a snack but you really should consume protein with every meal. Also, how about a protein shake? I had one everyday for the first 2 years till I could eat enough.

Nuts are a good snack. So is cheese, peanut butter, etc. Try and think protein first, second and third. Firstly, because we only absorb 50-60% of it and secondly, the more protein & liquids the better the weight loss.

How are your vitamins and minerals? Have you had any blood tests taken yet?

Sorry, but I don't drink coffee so I can't give you any help there.

Last edited by AAAA; 08-14-2009 at 04:28 PM.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #48  
Low Carb Forever

S/C/G: S/C/G 239/184/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Surgery

Hello,
I'm new but I know where you are. I had a RNY-DS 10/2000. I lost a total of 125, but I will say the last 40 were so hard and it was a struggle to maintain for me. OK, I did not maintain and quickly started to gain back. At any rate, I now know why I gained, and now I'm struggling to lose it again. I am doing low carb now because it is working for me.
Perhaps this will help you.
1. Activity-if you can't exercise for whatever reason, you should at least start to move. If walking is not an option, try doing leg and arm lifts while sitting. Just start moving and keep your body in motion for short periods. THAT WILL HELP. Don't think you will lose all your weight because of the surgery, I promise you will not. Once the honeymoon is over (1 year out) you get your appetite back and then it really is hard.
2. Don't drink with your meals, wait for 1/2 to 1 hour before you drink after eating. I LOVE COFFEE TOO, but wait before you drink.
3. Get your protein in before anything else, it stops the cravings and helps you stay full longer.
4. If you are an emotional eater, watch it! Keep a journal - what you don't know at this point is that it is easier to stretch you stomach than you might think......and it does not shrink back.
Hang in there and focus on you. You have come a long way and be proud how far you have come. GOOD LUCK You are amost there
IMHappy2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #49  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMHappy2B View Post
Hello,
I'm new but I know where you are. I had a RNY-DS 10/2000. I lost a total of 125, but I will say the last 40 were so hard and it was a struggle to maintain for me. OK, I did not maintain and quickly started to gain back. At any rate, I now know why I gained, and now I'm struggling to lose it again. I am doing low carb now because it is working for me.
Perhaps this will help you.
1. Activity-if you can't exercise for whatever reason, you should at least start to move. If walking is not an option, try doing leg and arm lifts while sitting. Just start moving and keep your body in motion for short periods. THAT WILL HELP. Don't think you will lose all your weight because of the surgery, I promise you will not. Once the honeymoon is over (1 year out) you get your appetite back and then it really is hard.
2. Don't drink with your meals, wait for 1/2 to 1 hour before you drink after eating. I LOVE COFFEE TOO, but wait before you drink.
3. Get your protein in before anything else, it stops the cravings and helps you stay full longer.
4. If you are an emotional eater, watch it! Keep a journal - what you don't know at this point is that it is easier to stretch you stomach than you might think......and it does not shrink back.
Hang in there and focus on you. You have come a long way and be proud how far you have come. GOOD LUCK You are amost there
I'm sorry, did you have an RNY, or did you have a DS? They are quite different and not really hybrid-able. Is your stomach a sleeve or a pouch? If you have a pouch, you may have an extended RNY (ERNY) or a distal RNY, but with an RNY pouch stomach, it is quite different from a DS.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #50  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

This thread seems kinda dead.... =/

When i first joined this forum, I was only aware of the RNY and lapband because that's what my hospital does. Jillybean encouraged me to check out the DS due to the way I described my eating patterns and my concerns about the RNY's side-effects.

So I've researched. And researched. And more and more. I feel like I have enough information to decide on the DS at this point. I really like what I have read about it, and it seems like it is perfect for me.

I found a doctor who has done many successful lap DS's in Georgia - near my sister. My big concern with recovery is having someone to help me drive home and help out, so I've been looking at states where I have close family.

My doctor here in Iowa wants me to do the RNY because she isn't familiar with the DS. (!!!!) I'm not going to settle for the RNY just because she's not up to date on all the options, though. So I'm starting the process of getting my insurance (Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield) to approve the DS out of state. It looks like a rough fight with them though, so we'll see how it goes..
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #51  
Sports Goddess

Hey, good luck, 30.

You're definitely correct in heading out of state if your doctor isn't familiar with the DS. You want to go to someone who has done hundreds as it's a much more technically demanding operation.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #52  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

From what I've read, I think you're making a good decision 30.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #53  
So tired

S/C/G: 309/294/less

Height: 5'2"

Thanks AAAA and girl81 =)

I have made contact with this doctor in Georgia (Dr. Smith) who has done a bunch of DS's. I'm now in the stage where I need to make formal contact, submit my info, hopefully begin the process soon. =))
30and300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #54  
very small boned

Any DS'ers still posting here? Hope everyone is feeling healthy and happy.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #55  
Sports Goddess

Once in a while, but not that often.

I'm doing pretty well & hope you are, too.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 AM   #56  
very small boned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAA View Post
Once in a while, but not that often.

I'm doing pretty well & hope you are, too.
AAAA, I am so impressed with your results. May I know what an average daily menu and workout is for you?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #57  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

I am 9 months post surgery today. Have had lots of complications. Very effective for weight loss (200 pounds in 9 months) but pretty much shredding my life as I knew it. Some good and lots of not so good.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote