Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #31  

Default Getting Switched on Jan 26th!!

Hi Everyone!
Back in 1999 I had a mini-gastri-loop and am scheduled for a revision to DS on Jan 26th with Dr Greenbaum in NJ. I am sooo excited and so glad to find another place where us DSers can get together!
Msdragonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:33 AM   #32  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

I saw my my WLS surgeon (12-05-08) and talked to him, he says that unless I can lose 75 pounds by myself he will want to do the duodenal switch which he swears would be more effective at my size and which my insurance is more likely to pay for. I also found out that my insurance may demand three 6 month monitored diets, I am half way through the 1st 6 months. I have dieted before but never with monitoring and as far as my knees are concerned I dont have another 15 months before I end up in a chair at any size I can get to on my own.
I really seem hung up on the scar, which is weird cause just about every inch of my body from the neck down has stretch marks and some bad ones but no major scars. I think I am thinking about that because it is a less important issue and I can think about it and not the stuff that really matters.
People mention that I could die doing this, but at this size if I end up unable to walk I will only get bigger and for me that IS a death sentence, to some extent litterally.
A lot of this is stuff I really can't do anything about, I HAVE to have the surgery, there will be a scar, I will not look how I have pretty much looked for the last 25 years but if I keep going with the knee pain I will just get older and older looking from the pain anyway and not being able to walk is not all that hot either.
I believe honestly that i deserve respect and love at any size, I dont hate myself at this size now even though I am about 445, and it blows some people away to know I would not be interested in doing this if I was not being crippled by my weight.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #33  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyXXL View Post
I saw my my WLS surgeon (12-05-08) and talked to him, he says that unless I can lose 75 pounds by myself he will want to do the duodenal switch which he swears would be more effective at my size and which my insurance is more likely to pay for.
I don't know about insurance being more likely to pay for the DS over a different surgery type--if they cover the DS, they cover the DS. I do agree that the DS is likely to be more effective than other procedures at a higher BMI (there are studies to support this). If you have any questions at all about the DS, please PM me. I am somewhat overzealous with research, so I can point in the right direction for just about any info about the DS

Oh, and to the people who say you could die doing this, you could die during ANY surgery. You could also die in a car accident on any given day. You could also die getting struck by lightning during a storm. You get the idea. You have to do what is best for you, and if WLS is what fits for you, then just weight the risks against the benefits. For me, the potential benefits far outweight the potential risks. I would rather have a shot at a longer, healthier life than just continue the way things are and die of obesity-related issues at a young age.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #34  

Jillybean!!! Good ta see ya

I have my first DS consult with my surgeon on Feb 18. I'm so excited. I had the VBG with sleeve gastrectomy in April 2004 and have maintained a 80+ lb loss, but am stuck at about 260 lbs. I lost 30 lbs on WW with strict adherence, but gained it back in 1.5 months during some stress eating.

Right now, I've only told my sisters, my 3FC sisters and my dad of my bypass decision. I'm debating whether to tell my Mom, who is very anti-surgery/anti-medical anything - if I do, will it be before the surgery or after? I'm also debating how quiet to keep this at work. It'll be obvious after several weeks.. right? hehe.

For the experienced DSers, I've heard cheese is ok (I love cheese), but how about other milk products? Plain yogurt? Does the fat percent contribute to oily poops?

As a VBGer, I've turned into a grazer. I mostly eat nuts, yogurt cheese, and crackers when I'm not stress eating.

Thanks in advance for any DS advice!

Luv,
Ratkitten
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #35  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Hello Ratkitten,

As a DS 'old-timer' (it's so hard for me to believe) I can help you out with some of your questions:

I've heard cheese is ok (I love cheese), but how about other milk products? Plain yogurt? Does the fat percent contribute to oily poops?

Obviously, cheese is great. My refrig. is stocked with it, cold cuts, sf choc. pudding, etc.

Other milk products, no problem....now. The first year many (if not most) become lactose intolerant. Thankfully, it leaves after the first year for most of us -- as it did for me. However, during that first year I ate lactaid milk & cheese & took OTC lactaid pills whenever I had any real milk or cheese. Plain yogurt is fine. You can also have it low or full fat, if you like. You can also have flavored yogurt as we don't count fat grams or calories we count sugar (in the beginning things should be <5 grams) and protein grams. As for the oily poops, it's so individual it's hard to say. I'd say in the main, yes, the more fat, the more my poops are orange. It doesn't really bother me b/c I'm used to it.

As a DSer, it'll prob. be easier for you if you're a grazer. Many DSers I know eat every 3-4 hours (or more) and meats, cheese, nuts are, obviously, the best things to graze on.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the Dark Side.

Last edited by AAAA; 02-16-2009 at 01:30 PM.
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #36  

Thanks for the info AAAA!

It's good to know that my fav healthy foods will still be favs. I've talked extensively to my PCP and she is very supportive of me going for the "2nd" part of the DS.

Your picts are amazing!!

Hugs and Luv,
Ratkitten
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #37  
Sports Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkitten View Post
Your picts are amazing!!

Thanks.

Last edited by AAAA; 02-18-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 290/125/140

Height: 5' 6.5"

Well hello fellow DS'ers!

DS on February 22, 2008 in MI with a BMI of 43. Today one year later my BMI is 20 and I'm feeling FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to gabbing with you guys!
RosieHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #39  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieHawk View Post
Well hello fellow DS'ers!

DS on February 22, 2008 in MI with a BMI of 43. Today one year later my BMI is 20 and I'm feeling FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to gabbing with you guys!
Hello, gorgeous! Welcome to 3FC!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #40  
Sports Goddess

Welcome. Glad to meet you.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #41  
From squishy to buff.....

S/C/G: 325/145/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Howdy!

Hey, y'all! I thought I'd mosey on over here from that "other" board to say hi and see what's up here. I had my DS on Feb 17th of this year and am doing really well. Down 41 lbs. so far! Hope you all have a good day!
trying2Bbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #42  
Sports Goddess

Glad you came over.

41lbs. what a great loss!

How's the DS treating you? Everything going well?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #43  
From squishy to buff.....

S/C/G: 325/145/165

Height: 5'9"

It is going well, AAAA. I've had some of the typical newbie adjustment stuff going on. Things like figuring out how much fits in my sleeve at a time and all that. I'm pretty much in a groove with that now, though. And I had to start Nexium due to killer heartburn, but other than that, I feel as though I have skated by compared to others. No complications to speak of at all. No bathroom issues, and I finally am back at my pre-op energy level. So, all in all, I'd say the DS is treating me pretty good.
Thanks for asking!
trying2Bbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #44  
Sports Goddess

Glad to hear it. I had a rough first 9 months so if you're going thru the 'regular' stuff then it sounds as if it's going well.

I took Pepsid for the first 2 months (surgeon's orders) so it isn't unusual at all to need something.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 220/168/115

Default A Newbie DSer!

I am Ipren and had a duodenal switch weight loss surgery in April 2009. I have lost about 52 pounds since then. My goal is to be at 125 pounds and this means losing another 44 pounds.

I was losing more pounds right after the surgery. Is this normal? Does anybody have some suggestions about what to eat and what not to eat because I want very much to reach my goal and I think that what I am eating may not be appropriate. For instance, some times I have one slice of multi-grain bread for breakfast, some fruits for lunch, and 2 tablespoons of rice with 2 ounces of salmon for dinner. I do have at least four cups of regular coffee with 3 splenda and 2 ounces of half and half per cup. When I feel like eating something, I would have a dozen of cashew. Unfortunately I am not exercising because I was told that I have to wait a year after the surgery. I could walk but have not been able too because I am recovering from foot surgery.

Anyone has any advice for me?

Thank you.

Ipren
ipren is offline   Reply With Quote