Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-17-2005, 04:01 AM   #1  

Default Help me make a list.

For those of you who have had weight loss surgery...what exactly do they start to feed you in the hospital?

I also want to make a list of foods, drinks that would be easy to digest after surgery. What sorts of things did you buy to help you through your transition to finally being able to eat something?

I am so afraid of two things as I wait for my surgery date:
1/ The tube through the nose and down the throat for surgery. I have a bad gag reflex and of course i have never had a tube through the nose and down the throat, so I am thinking the worst. yikes

2/ Throwing up foods and finding out what I can't keep down. I hate to throw up. How often did this happen after surgery?

Things that I thought would be good for my list are:
1/ Protien Shakes
2/ Low fat jello
3/ Yogurt
4/ low fat puddings
5/ Cream soups

please help me with my list and get a general idea what to buy to prepare me for after the surgery.

Thanks
Islandgurl
GreeneyedFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:37 PM   #2  

Great idea for a topic IslandGirl! I'm going in for RNY on 2/16...what about you?

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:43 PM   #3  

Thanks for posting a reply to my thread.

Deb, I am not sure what type of gastroplasty surgery my doctor will perform on me. According to his nurse, he will not make that decision until the fourth appointment. Monday is my 3rd appointment.
How long have you been waiting in total for a surgery date? Or to even see a doctor about this surgery? I had to wait 1 year to see him and then its such long waits between each appt.

Thank you again
Islandgurl29
Old 01-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #4  
Hang In There

Hey Deb, 2/16 will be here before you know it!!!
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #5  

Hi All!

Yeah, I know...2/16 is coming up fast! As far as your questions Islandgurl....it's been about a year since I started looking into this. My biggest delay was in getting to see a surg. THe first surg. my insurance company sent me to had an 8 month wait just to get in for and informational meeting. He moved and then I had to find a new surg. In total, since I met with the second guy, I think it's been about 7 months. Biggest problem was getting all the required referrals...darn insurance!

I know of some people who get into the surg, and then get a surg appointment in like two months. I don't know about that...it's a big decision to do this and I don't know if you should rush into it either. Then again, the waiting and worrying is driving me crazy...don't listen to me

Thanks for starting the new thread Pookie! Will check it out

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #6  

lol .........oh i know about the waiting. I guess the new slogan is: "you have to be patient to be a patient!" lmao oh my ..i'm crazy this morning.
But, I am glad that I have my foot in the door now. It is a 3 year wait for anyone wanting to see him for this surgery. Poor people who want this now. That wait is going to be hurrendous.
So I will continue to wait it out.
Islandgurl29
Old 01-21-2005, 12:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Wow!! A 4th appointment?

I barely had time for a second appoinment. The military hospital I am having my open RNY done at has only done 36 patients so far. I only had to wait 13 days from initial consult to surgery date, 26 Jan. So, I have 5 days to go. Well, more like 4 at the time of this posting. Each surgery will be over looked by a doctor from the American Board for Bariatric Surgery until the board feels it is no longer necessary. Well, good luck.

Angie
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #8  

Default I must've missed that detail....

I didn't realize when MysTek was having hers done. How funny! I wonder which hospital.... 5 calendar days, 3 working days, and 3 days left to have solid foods until my surgery.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #9  

Ya, MysTek and I are having it done under the same clinic, same hospital, same day. So, if I haven't met her already, I'm sure I will meet her on Wedsnesday, lol.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:47 AM   #10  

No kidding Pookie. We ended up in the same damn room!!! lol Amy was alot of fun, lol. We talked when she wasn't sleeping. I didn't really sleep that I remember. I was hysterical one night because they were trying to stick me again and all my veins kept rolling or blowing out. They were even trying to get an IV in my feet. The best veins on my body, and they screwed it away. They ended up sending me to the ambulatory infusion center 1 floor up to get someone to stick me because they couldn't do it. I was exhausted, hadn't slept in 2 days, we weren't getting our pain meds on time because of the lack of staff, and now they were drawing blood and moving IV's every few hours becuase my labs were screwy and I was running a 101-102 fever for 3 or 4 days. So, the on-call surgeon came in, gave me a shot of valium and some ambien, lol. I felt bad, because I thought I woke Amy up. I don't know if she remembered it, though, lol. Amy got to leave on Saturday, but I had to stay because my electrolytes were still screwy. And my blood sugar was high. Had to get insulin shots 3 or 4 times a day for 5 days. The anti-clotting shots hurt soooo bad, too. I am hyper neurosensitive, so I feel pain about 10 times more accutely than the vast majority of people. I didn't leave the hospital until Monday morning. I was right back there at about 7:30 that night because my stomach was spasming again, and everything made it worse. They readmitted me at 11 p.m. that night and ran more CAT scans, more X-rays, and everything was fine. I was just in hideous pain, lol. I stayed until Wedsnesday afternoon. I just needed another 3 days of intensive pain management, I guess. I completely stopped taking liquid lortab Friday morning and haven't had to take anything since. I've lost 27 lbs, but I don't see it or feel it yet. Am I in denial? lol
Old 02-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

YIKES!!!! so glad you came through this nightmare!!! we gotta add this to our increasing list of people who've had major problems before or AFTER surgery... there are a few of us. and it's important that we make sure that everyone who comes here looking for info gets the COMPLETE picture - the good, the bad, the ugly, and the struggle.

27 pounds is fabulous start. and maybe you're just too stunned after everything you've been through for it to register.

so glad you're back and in one piece!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #12  

Well, I don't know if I can see myself as a major problem experience candidate, because I have always been a hard stick, the pre-op diet dehydrated me because it was sugar based, which also set me up for high blood sugar, (but I know I wasn't the only one to experience that), and there was truly nothing wrong post-op. I'm just a freak when it comes to my CNS. For some odd reason, it's tweaked about 10 times more sensitive than normal people, neurologically speaking. I absolutely agree about the complete picture thing. Wehn I woke up from anesthesia, I was in sooo much pain, I was crying and begging God to let me pass out or die. I was totally unprepared for that experience. I've had surgery 2 times before that I remember accutely and never felt anything like that.