Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 08:38 PM   #1  
Livin' La Vida Loca

Default Protein Drinks?

What are the good ones and what's so good about 'em?

I want to try some and I don't have a clue.

I'd like something 1) filling and 2) easy 3) transportable and MOST OF ALL 4) snickers and/or yoo hoo flavored

Tanks dahlings...

Sooner
Old 01-13-2004, 09:08 PM   #2  

Hey Sooner!

I like the 100% whey protein powder from GNC. I put 1 scoop of it over ice, plus 1 tablespoon of S.F. pudding mix add water and blend it with one of those mixing wands. Sipping one as I type. Chocolate of course.

I am going to GNC tomorrow to buy another big jug of it. Would you like me to send you a baggie sample of it?

I think you can buy samples at VitaLady for $1. each. I like the pro performance.

peach
Old 01-13-2004, 10:38 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

IMO the atkins choc premixed tastes like yoo hoo. so do the premixed eas low carb choc. that's why i don't drink them!!

some folks like spirotene [sp?]. i've never tried it. others like the isopure premixed. i thinnk i've swallowed a jellyfish [yuck!!!]

i've become a BIG nectar protein fan. current fave: fuzzy navel. the apple is also good and i think debkay likes the very berry cherry.

ya just gotta keep trying, and be sure to buy from someplace that lets you return anything that tastes gross to you.

good luck!
Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 PM   #4  
Livin' La Vida Loca

Peach -- yeah, THANKS, I would like to try it...about how many grams of protein is it for that portion your mentioned? I'm looking for something that give me a feeling of fullness rather than making me feel hungier, which some of the smoothie drinks do. Have you ever tried blending the mixture for a smoothie kind of thing? or do you always make it on the rocks (shaken, not stirred...)

Also -- I'm just joking about the yoo hoo flavor -- i have no idea what it even tastes like; i just like to write it

YOO HOO!!

i need sleep
Old 01-14-2004, 08:20 AM   #5  
Hang In There

Default Peachie

I can't wait to try the SF pudding mixed with it. What a super idea. I used to use a teaspoon of SF Jello until mean ole Jiff told me I couldn't do that. Don't remember why, but if jiff said it, it must be true
Old 01-14-2004, 01:29 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

oh geezzz barb.. just wait until peachie reads that statement!!!! she doesn't believe ANYTHING I say!!!

you liked that SF jello powder mixed into the protein shakes?? all that grittiness??? oh it was awful!!!!!! i even tried dissovling it in hot water and it was just as bad.

a little crystal light powder or SF fruit syrup worked better for me.

but for the record, there's no reason you CAN'T use SF jello powder, but YUCK!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:10 PM   #7  

Jiff-a-rina,
Does the Nectar stuff contain fake sugar? Hopefully I will be in the market for a good protein drink soon and I can't stand the usual fake sweeteners. That's one of the questions I will be asking my surgeon tomorrow when we meet.

Or, I suppose I could just drink Carnation instant breakfast. <imagine me ducking right now>

Your fan,
Chickadee
Old 01-14-2004, 02:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey girls - I also use the Whey Protein Powder to make my own protein shakes in the mornings. I put a cup of cold water, 1 scoop of powder, 3 frozen strawberries, 3 packets splenda, and sometimes I throw in a few nuts, and blend it all together. It is like a strawberry shake! yum! and very filling!

Cathy
Old 01-14-2004, 07:37 PM   #9  

YOO HOO>Sooner!!!!

20g of protein per serving and yes I make it into a smoothie. Sometimes I add a splash of half and half to it. I have made it with milk but it doesn't sit well on my stomache that way. I really miss it if I don't have any of the s.f. instant pudding to put in it...it thickens it up a bit. I use one of those hand mixers and crush the daylights out of the ice. Then I serve it in a high ball glass with a little umbrella and a plastic blue monkey hanging off of it.

Pre op I would have most likely used milk and some fruit or maybe some yogurt to thicken it up.

Will send it out tomorrow, unless it is too cold for my tender self to go out of doors. Will not send the umbrella and monkey, maybe olives!

peach

Last edited by peach pit; 01-14-2004 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:01 AM   #10  
Livin' La Vida Loca

Thanks, Peach! You're a...well, you know, peach.

I snuffled around in my cabinets yesterday and found some soy protein drink mix I bought at Walmart months back. It's got 20 g. of protein also; 3 carbs, 2 fat. I think I'll try your drink recipe w/that today. I remember adding sf pudding mix when I made it before.

I'm also going to make Meg's protein bars.

I don't like fruity tasting stuff unless it has a shot or two of vodka mixed in, so I should pass on the nectar suggestion for now.

Did somebody write something about adding cottage cheese to these drinks or did I just dream that?

Went to half.com and ordered Body for Life (after visiting the maintainers and the weight lifting forums) -- thinking about doing this smaller, more frequent meal thing and beefing up my exercise schedule...I'm already feeling sorry for my sore muscles... Actually, I'm wondering if there's even enough muscle tissue left to try to build from

Chicka chica dee dee -- let us know how the meeting w/your doc goes today!

I'm outty!

Sooner
Old 01-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #11  
Meg

Quote:
Actually, I'm wondering if there's even enough muscle tissue left to try to build from
Sooner, m'dear -- let me tell you about THIS body ... when I first set foot in a gym, I was 257 pounds and 57% body fat . That means I had 108 pounds of lean mass and 149 pounds of F-A-T. Not much muscle tissue there AT ALL! By exercising every day, I've managed to add about ten pounds of muscle while shedding 132 pounds of fat. Don't worry, there's muscle under there, baby, and it'll be there when the fat on top of it comes off.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Peach Pit - are you mixing Vanilla GNC whey protein powder with the chocolate SF pudding powder to make it chocolate? or are you buying the Chocolate Protein Powder?

I have a jug of the Vanilla and would love to have chocolate sometimes so was wondering if you were making it chocolate by adding the SF pudding or if you are actually using the chocolate powder.

Thanks,
Cathy
Old 01-15-2004, 06:09 PM   #13  

Soonerie (do you like that?),

I did go to the doctor today. They seemed a little shocked at the paper work I brought them, because, being the overachiever I am, I left no fact unmentioned. I had my ducks in such an organized row that they were quacking with delight! Anyway, I saw the Nurse Practitioner first. After all kinds of questions and talking, she deemed me an excellent candidate for the surgery (yep, even psychologically). Then I got to see the actual doctor - performer of miracles, doer of good deeds, surgeon to the stars! He didn't spend very much time with me, but also deemed me an excellent candidate. Maybe I should run for office since I'm such a great candidate? They even think insurance approval shouldn't be too difficult. The doctor said, and I quote "You have great morbidities. Not life-threatening, but enough to be medically necessary". Wouldn't that be a great pick-up line in a bar? Hey baby, you have some really great morbidities, heh heh.

Now all I have to do is be very, very patient and wait for insurance to approve me. It probably wouldn't hurt if you all sent yessireeBob vibes to United Health Care. I think this may be the hardest part of all. It can take up to six weeks and once I'm approved, surgery can be up to 4 weeks after that. Lord, grant me patience!

So, I'm sitting here all psyched up with nowhere to go. What's a girl to do?

Sigh,
Chick-a-diddly-dee
Old 01-15-2004, 09:15 PM   #14  
Hang In There

Chickie, that's great news. 10 weeks will be here and gone before you know it,
Old 01-15-2004, 11:56 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

10 weeks will be PERFECT!!!! it'll be almost spring!!!!! and then, you'll be such an overachiever that you'll put us all to shame!!!!!!

yippeeee yahoooooo!!!!!!!
Closed Thread