Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 12:48 PM   #1  

Unhappy Surgery Coming Up In Two Days

Hi. I posted here as a newcomer a few weeks ago. I haven't posted since but I visit your forum daily to read. I appreciate reading about the people who have gone through what I am about to go through. I also have found some really great links to other places on the net where I have gotten some really useful advice about WLS.
Soooooo.... I am scheduled for my surgery on Wednesday morning. I am so very very nervous. My pretesting went really well (EEG, bonescan, bloodwork) the one nurse commented that I was one of the healthiest overweight people that she had ever me
I have gotten the typical response from friends and family, are you sure that you want to gothrough with this? You don't look like you're 100lbs overweight. Thanks for the compliment
So now I have to face the reality of what is going to happen. I am excited and eager to get through this.
One question I do have is whether I have bought the correct "supplies" or not. My Drs. office gave me a shopping list. I bought SF jello, egg beaters, chewable vitamins, SF popsicles, chicken and beef broth. Can you guys think of anything else that I should get ahead of time as far as food?
I am also interested in knowing about what to bring to the hospital. I have the obvious robe, slippers, toiletries but is there anything else that you can think of? Something that you wish you had brought with you when you went through WLS??
I could use all the prayers and good vibes that you can give
Thanks for your help and support!
Kathy
Old 10-06-2003, 01:13 PM   #2  

Kathy,

I am still in the waiting process, but I just wanted to wish you all the luck!! I'm sure I will be just as nervous when I go to get mine done, so I can't wait to hear all your stories in a week or so!! The only thing I can think of to bring to the hospital is something to read. When my husband was in the hospital that is what saved him, some mag, books, and word puzzles. Stuff that you can do that isn't watching the TV all the time!! I'm sure you will get tons of advice, the people on this board are GREAT!!

So again, GOOD LUCK and I'll be thinking of you on Wed.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:18 PM   #3  

I would suggest bringing an eye mask and some ear plugs. Maybe some nice lotion too, because the AC can be drying.

If you have a comfy robe, that might be helpful too. When my sister had surgery for fibroids, she loved her polar fleece robe, because it kept her covered and warm.

Bringing something to read or listen to might be nice also. Although I don't know how drugged you will be after the surgery.

For me, when I travel I always bring my soft fleece blanket, so maybe something that gives you comfort and security?
Old 10-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #4  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I bring my own pillow. I have been hospitalized a few times and I always ask for my own pillow when I am done.
Good luck,
-L
Old 10-06-2003, 05:38 PM   #5  

I'll be having my surgery in 2 weeks. I wanted to say good luck to you. Come back and let us know how everything is going
Old 10-06-2003, 07:47 PM   #6  

Hey Kathy T!!!!

I'll be keeping everything crossed for you and praying for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!!!!

Are you having open or lap?

I was really glad that I brought my sneakers and socks. I don't like walking around the halls in slippers. I also brought some "real" clothes, like sweats and t shirts, extra bras because I really hate those hospital gowns.

I have seen that alot of people bring chapstick. I didn't have trouble with dry lips because I was sipping water pretty quickly. Those who get taken for leak tests (my surgeon does them while he has you knocked out) I think have to wait a bit before they can drink.

You'll do great. come back and post as soon as you can, or have someone post for you.

all the best,
peach
Old 10-06-2003, 08:24 PM   #7  

I wasn't in the hospital long enough to be uncomfortable but robe and slippers were a must. If you tend to be hot a portable fan might be helpful.
As far as your shopping list for after, wait to see what you can tolerate. I have a stocked pantry of all thing I thought that I needed and I couldn't tolerate a lot of milk things. chicken broth and beef broth are good so are SF popcycles and SF Jello. I had a Lap Rny and was able to do some shopping fairly soon after with the help of my husband driving. It was good to get out and to have a change of scenery. Good Luck and we will be praying for you. Grammy
Old 10-06-2003, 09:49 PM   #8  

hey kathy t

my prayers are with you it is so exciting you will see

i am 2 and a half weeks post op

bring something for dry lips after surgery that was the only discomfort i had i was given a 2 cc of ice chips every hour and that was not enough to wet lips once my godchild came visit and show how miserable i was she asked nurse for lip balm it was vaseline intensive care that was a god send it made the wait for the next ice chips bearable

also slippers are a must because they should be getting you up to walk don't want any blood clots

i pray that you will be blessed with and uneventful operation and you are home in no time

bev mel
Old 10-06-2003, 11:48 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

many warm thoughts and best wishes, kathy. and here's a secret... if there's drainage when you get home, use sanitary napkins instead of gauze as a dressing.. works much better. more absorbent.. waterproof.

hospitals are boring. make sure you have something light and easy to amuse yourself with instead of television.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:42 AM   #10  

Thank you so much for your responses, support and your prayers. I have had a constant stomach ache and felt nauseous since yesterday...I think that it might be nerves.
I am having an RNY Lap.
Thank you for the suggestions of what to bring to the hospital and what to eat afterwards. The program that I am in really stresses milk drinking. Pretty much all my adult life (except during my 2 pregnancies) I have avoided drinking milk. I just don't tolerate it, so I will have to see what I can do.
Well I just need to get through today and then a new part of my life starts
Old 10-07-2003, 12:26 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

you're wise to be careful with the milk... many people come out of surgery with lactose intolerance. and it can be BAD!!!!!! [of course, a couple of us went IN with lactose intolerance and came out without it!!!! there's no logic!!!!]

so, if you're having gas, discomfort, whatever, after drinking milk-based protein drinks, switch to something else. the priority is getting your protein, NOT suffering!!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 03:39 PM   #12  
Owned by Dixie

the chewable calcium supliments are good, I like them better than milk, Soy protien is a good alt. too.

Do something relaxing, a faicial, manicure, massage, somethng to relax, all is going to be just fine....
Old 10-07-2003, 05:43 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

those chewable calciums are NOT a good choice for us, unfortunately. they're made from calcium carbonate, which we don't absorb. people with normal tummies do absorb this, since they have stomach acid. we don't.

it's a shame, since they're so easy to take!!!!!!

hi L!!!!!! nice to see you around here!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:29 PM   #14  
Owned by Dixie

sorry for the bad advice (hanging my head in shame) but I ment well.
nice to see you too jiff,
-L
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

L.... your advice was NOT bad... we've all tried in my support group to take these calciums and have gotten our wrists slapped. hey.. we're always hopeful!!
Closed Thread