Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 09:22 AM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Angry CHAT, WLS-style week of Sept. 8th

Good Monday morning!

A little nip in the air for the deep south. It's in the 60's I'm sure that is what the northern ladies are doing, I know the 60's to youse guys is a practical heat wave.

Last night was the Fleetwood Mac concert (remember hubby surprised me with tickets a few weeks ago.) They were very good. Stevie Nicks did the twirl with the black flowing shaw, just like back in the day. They did not have an opening act and played for over 2 hours, did lots of old stuff and mingled it with new stuff. Very enjoyable! Hubby even took me out to dinner before the concert. This former 360 pound woman, who in the past would not want to go because of the walk in and out and the scare of fitting in the seats. Well, not only did I not have any problems, I DANCED LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!!

Off to get the day started, have a wonderful day everyone
Old 09-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #2  

gosh, I love Fleetwood Mac!!! Love the song Landslide!

Jiff brought me some protein powder this morning. Her paws and claws are done in dragon lady red.

Took Mom out to Michaels. Got a really neat pumpkin candle. Mom was funny....when we went to the market she heard one of the gals that work there say to another, "I'll get you an old rag" Mom thought she said, "I'll get you an old bag" and she said.....

"can you use me?"

ROFL

I think the scale may be beginning to move. NOW that is a happy thing!

have a good one
peach
ps....Cindy....how ya doin?
Old 09-08-2003, 12:53 PM   #3  
Hang In There

Ole Alvin is scheduled to play in two golf tournaments!!! His one goal was to be able to just get back out on the golf course, now, he's already playing in tournaments!!! Needless to say, he'a a happy camper. A girl at church who has had the surgery said that he should be the model for everyone considering having the surgery, cause he's doing so good. Boy could I tell HER a few things!!! anywhay he does make a good impression!
Old 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #4  

Happy Monday Y'all,

Deb, if I ever meet you, you better say y'all just to make me happy! Thanks for asking about my son - I'm missing him like crazy, but trying not to call or bug him too often. I did send him a great care package though. Homemade cookies, money, some stuff he forgot and a poster showing all the different Saint Louis Blues hockey jerseys over the years. He's a Blues fanatic for some reason, which pizzes (I'm being careful, seeing how Jif is the moderator!) me off since we have the Avalanche right here!

My husband and I went to a concert the other week too. And it was a spontaneous decision (very rare indeed)! We saw Three Dog Night, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Eric Burden and the Animals and Steppenwolf. If any of you are familiar with all those bands, you'll know just how old I am!

Ms. Peachie - you sound like you're doing great. I too am addicted to all the TV shows you are. Except that I think the original What Not To Wear on BBC America is way, way better than the TLC version. The women just crack me up. There is never a show where they don't talk about the woman's *** and bosom, except they use the ti* word. Can I say that Jif? They're hysterical!

SeptemberBreeze - I think I love you! And no, I'm not singing David Cassidy songs! I have done hours and hours of research about having Lapband surgery done in Mexico thanks to you. This could actually happen! The more I read, the more I think this could be my solution. I started out thinking I wanted to be banded, but then found insurance would only do open RNY. I figured that I would do it, only to find that our insurance sucks and figured I wouldn't be able to have surgery. The DH is on board with this idea, which is good because of course it will be self-pay. So, I'm off for lots more reading and research. I still have lots of questions and concerns, but it's wonderful that there is a possibility that this could really happen. My next step is researching fills and finding someone within a reasonable distance who could do them for me. Onward!

You know, I don't post often, but when I do, it's always a novel!

Later,
Chickadee
Old 09-08-2003, 01:54 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

the moderator doesn't always wear her reading glasses when she's on the forum...
Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #6  

Hello Ladies, you are all sounding sooooo chipper this afternoon. It is about 85 degrees her in the midwest--so we are a little warm, but the nights are cooling off. Does anyone know what Boost Breeze is and is it good? Jif, you are sooo helpful, as is everyone else, I think I will be one prepared girl if and when surgery time comes--

this is my son's first year in high school. I am not sure which one of us will have the nervous breakdown first. him or me from him blaming me for everything from his not knowing where his classes are to where his locker is. he seems to think it is our last name and if were brown or even smith, he'd have a better locker--oh well--I guess guilt is what parenting is all about. HEHE
Old 09-08-2003, 09:31 PM   #7  
Hang In There

Summerbreeze, or Chickee I started looking into the lap band too, but I have a really dumb question/ The pictures show the band that goes around the stomach making the pouch, and a long tube with another band-looking thingy on the end. I assume that is where the fills, etc go, but where on your body does that tube come out?
Old 09-08-2003, 10:27 PM   #8  

Chick - you made my day. I was having a really bad day due to the fact that my boss is a MAN! If you are seriously considering Mexico - my vote is 100% Dr. Jose Rodriguez. Not only is he the best (in my opinion), but by far the least expensive. If you want any info that I am not posting, please let me know via e mail - I will be more than happy to tell you anything you want to know. Don't let cost be the deciding factor though. You need to do what makes you feel comfortable regardless of cost. A very wise woman (cofffewench) said this to me when I was complaining of cost and spending so much money on who...ME? If your child needed surgery for whatever reason, you would move heaven and earth to get the money. Why do you feel it is different for your own surgery. She made a lot of sense and I DID IT!!! I took out a personal loan and did some "home improvements".hahahahaha

Age - The lapband is an adjustable band that creates a pouch. Attached to the band is a port. There are no tubes coming out of your body. The band has an "innertube" for lack of a better word on the inside of it that can be expanded to make your opening smaller. Thus - a "fill". The port is located between your breasts and they stick a needle into the port and it fills the "innertube". Yes - this is GROSS and you should NOT watch them do it. I put off a fill for a while just because I was getting a really BAD visual about a 4 inch needle in my stomach. YUCKIE POO!! But - it did not hurt at all. They numb the skin and it really does not hurt. Glad to see you all are having great days! Talk to you all soon. S.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:56 AM   #9  
she who must be obeyed

Good Morning! It's official........I'm too old to recover quickly from a late night. Still dragging butt after our concert.

Sept.......coffeewench......Robin, I believe is her first name, used to post with us on 3fc. She hasn't been around in quite some time, like most of us.......real life takes up so much time

Buffy, kids always find a way to blame the parents, and it's usually MOM. Is he starting to get used to being in high school? What activity does he do? My opinion here, I'm a firm believer in being a part of some sort of group in high school. My boys were in JROTC, and my daughter is a band nerd It gives them a place to land and usually their friends are formed in the group. sorry, didn't mean to lecture.

Barb so glad to hear ole Alvin is living life again.

Chickadee and Barb good luck in your lap-band quest.

...and Chickadee, you know I'm an imposter (don't think that is spelled correctly) I'm actually a mid-Atlantic sort of girl, but I play a southern belle on 3fc's. I will be glad to say ya'll when I meet you and I will also say I'm "fixin to" as in I'm fixin to go over yonder! Believe it or not, there are very few southern accents in the Atlanta area.......now, go 40 miles out into the burbs and it's a whole other story.

peachie......Fleetwood Mac did Landslide......it was great! I was signing along at the top of my lungs and when the line came "children get older and I'm getting older too." It brought tears to my eyes, cause my children are getting older and I'm 44 now, well you know that.

have a good day.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:26 PM   #10  

Good afternoon Gang,

Went to the Dr yesterday and a good bill of health was had by me. I can Drive again so freedom here I come. So far I can tolerate SF FF Pudding, Cottage cheese and creamy yougart. and of course all of the clear liquids. I am getting in all of the fluids but am short on the protien. Each day it gets a little more and the Dr is Sastisfied on that note.

My son and Daughter=in-law and the 2 boys live with us they are going to start digging there basement for there house on Monday. I am going to miss them when when they move.( Just behind us but miss them non the less.) I remember all of the stages that you moms are going throught I lived them and now I am reliving them again.

Have a great day .

Love Grammy
Old 09-09-2003, 08:44 PM   #11  
Hang In There

My mom heard from her doc last night. The news was not good. She definately has colon cancer and they have scheduled her for a CAT SCAN tomorrow, then on to the doctor for scheduling surgery. The re-do on her mammogram is scheduled for the 18th. If it's not one thing it's 15 others. Please keep her in your prayers.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:34 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

oh barb..i'm so sorry to read about this. of course, many prayers and good healing wishes for you and your mom
Old 09-10-2003, 11:34 AM   #13  

Im sorry about your mom i will keep her in my prayers. I am terribly close to my mom and i would be lost if anthing happened to her.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #14  

Barb, sorry about your mom. I will keep her in my thoughts. My mom is getting so forgetful, and it is like I am loosing her bit by bit. I miss being able to talk to her and just sharing stuff, but she can't seem to listen and process at the time, but she does tell my sister some of what I say, so I guess it does get through. This getting old is a *****, as is being part of the "sandwich" generation and I don't mean pb & j
Old 09-10-2003, 09:41 PM   #15  

Barb, I will be keeping your mom and you in my prayers.

Tomorrow is 9/11 and I am trying not to wig out. I am staying away from the tv and news. I am really torn between honoring the day but yet not spending the day in tears.

On the flip side...(is this a tara tara tara attitude or what?) I am having a ball. I have some energy back and the boys are in school. Today dh dragged me out to walk a mile. He was pretty proud of me cause I only vitched while going up hill...he called it an "incline" I am looking forward to getting back to the 3.5 miles I used to do.

Then I took Mom to the mall and stopped to get some paint. Why do I need paint? Cause Tuesday I went to a flea market in pa. where my crafty friend's wood cutter is. I bought some snowmen that come on platforms and you can stick candy canes in them, or perhaps pencils. I got some other snowmen with baby snowmen dragging a tree, some pumpkins, cats.

I'm not going to paint them...I'll just leave them in the bag ok?

peach
Closed Thread