Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #1  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Default Gastric Sleeve ?s

Hello all. As my user history shows, I've been at this for almost a decade without success. Well, nothing that 'sticks' anyways. Got down to 168 in 2008 but that was basically a starvation diet and 4 hours a day in the gym, 2 hours of cardio classes and 2 hours of strength, 5 days a week.

So long story short, my new PCP suggested it, insurance won't cover it so I'm likely going to Florida next fall to have it done. Getting it done locally would be anywhere from $18k to $25k and I can't afford that. By going to Florida I can get it for $10,500 all included.

Any way, all of that to say I'm here to look for experiences, thoughts, comments, success stories, basically whatever I can get to help me learn more and be the most prepared patient I can be.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/220/150

I had the gastric sleeve surgery 2 1/2 years ago and it was the best decision that I ever made. I had minimal pain. My procedure was done in Cincinnati by Dr. Trace Curry as an outpatient procedure. My surgery was at 10:30a.m. and I was home by 4:00p.m. I went out shopping the following day and by to work 10 days later. The only issue I had was on day five and I was nauseous, lightheaded, dizzy, etc., and it was due to being dehydrated. I contacted the doctor and was told to drink a little Gatorade, which immediately helped. Three of my friends had the surgery after I did with the same doctor and all of them are glad that they done it. I also had to pay cash for my procedure. The doctor that I went to charged $14,700 and it included two years of follow-up. I am not sure if that is an option for you, but Cincinnati may be more convenient instead of Florida, since it is closer. Good luck!!
labnzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #3  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Quote:
Originally Posted by labnzab View Post
I had the gastric sleeve surgery 2 1/2 years ago and it was the best decision that I ever made. I had minimal pain. My procedure was done in Cincinnati by Dr. Trace Curry as an outpatient procedure. My surgery was at 10:30a.m. and I was home by 4:00p.m. I went out shopping the following day and by to work 10 days later. The only issue I had was on day five and I was nauseous, lightheaded, dizzy, etc., and it was due to being dehydrated. I contacted the doctor and was told to drink a little Gatorade, which immediately helped. Three of my friends had the surgery after I did with the same doctor and all of them are glad that they done it. I also had to pay cash for my procedure. The doctor that I went to charged $14,700 and it included two years of follow-up. I am not sure if that is an option for you, but Cincinnati may be more convenient instead of Florida, since it is closer. Good luck!!
Thank you!! I like the look of the clinic/doc you used. My goal to save up for surgery and whatnot is $15k, which for Florida would include hotel and travel. But only being 90 minutes from home I could spend it all on the surgery and use Holiday Inn points to cover the hubby's hotel for my hospital stay. And God knows 90 minutes is a lot closer than 15 hours for follow ups and what not.

Last edited by mkat321; 11-16-2016 at 04:17 PM.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #4  
Sleeved in Mexico

S/C/G: 250 /170.4 /140

Height: 5'5

My insurance would not approve WLS, so I went to Mexico... it cost about $4200 and was all inclusive. Only other thing I had to pay for was tips for my drivers, and airline tickets. Best choice of my life. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I took my time to research surgeons- there's some scary stuff down there. My surgeon is so hands on, and I can still call him at any time. On his personal phone. I had better care in Mexico than I've ever had in the United States. I'm a little over 8 months out and about 30 lbs away from my goal weight. Best decision ever.

Last edited by breezie68; 11-18-2016 at 02:55 PM.
breezie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #5  

Hi, I'm going through A lighter me in July. Was curious if that's who you went through?
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezie68 View Post
My insurance would not approve WLS, so I went to Mexico... it cost about $4200 and was all inclusive. Only other thing I had to pay for was tips for my drivers, and airline tickets. Best choice of my life. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I took my time to research surgeons- there's some scary stuff down there. My surgeon is so hands on, and I can still call him at any time. On his personal phone. I had better care in Mexico than I've ever had in the United States. I'm a little over 8 months out and about 30 lbs away from my goal weight. Best decision ever.
Vogonpoet815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #6  

Default Hi

Hello
I'm going to this surgery can u pls help me little more....?
hollyrose062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 228/220/120

Height: 5 feet 1 inch

I know exactly how you feel. I spent 2 years trying so many different diets, working my *** off and dropped from 225 to 184. I ended up gaining all of that back in a year.

My mom and my brother had the surgery several years ago. I was going to do it at the time but chickened out. Last summer, I finally decided enough was enough, spoke to my doctor and began going through the process in NY, only to find out 2 months in that my insurance doesn't cover it at all. I spoke to the hospital and they had quoted me like $50k.

I was so unbelievably upset. I remember speaking to my grams and I just sort of started crying about the whole thing and she gave me the idea of going to Turkey (where she is from) and getting it done there.

I literally had the sleeve surgery this week and between flights, the testing at the hospital, my surgery, hospital stay and having someone who speaks english with me 24/7 during my hospital stay, it costs me about $15k.

I have to say, I'm really happy with my doctor and the entire process. I had spoken with him before I going to Turkey to figure out the details and everything happened exactly the way he said it would. I got to Turkey on a Sunday, met with him on Monday, he sent me around the hospital with a personal hospital helper to get all my testing done (no wait!) and we had my surgery scheduled for the very next day. Since then, he stopped by my room twice daily, I've had someone by my side to help me to get in and out of bed, to the bathroom etc and hospital staff checking in on me round the clock for the 4 days I was in the hospital.

Best money I've ever spent. I'm still mad at myself for not getting it done earlier.

My next check up is on Tuesday and I fly back home on Saturday. I only really needed a week and a half here, but I figured I'd spend a few extra days, maybe tour the city a bit. Wish me luck every one!
Esam is offline   Reply With Quote