Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #1  

Smile Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass or BPD/DS?

Hi everyone,
I am new to this part of the board, but I've been morbidly obese and a member of the forums for ages. I finally am in a place in my life where I have insurance that covers the surgery and since I have two daughters under 12 and diabetes and hypertension I have decided to have WLS to help me get healthier and be here for my daughters as they grow up.

I have been to the information session and have been reading about the different surgeries in peer reviewed medical journals and have narrowed my decision down to either a Laproscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass or a Laproscopic BPD with Duodenal Switch. My insurance will cover both and the surgeon does both.

After reading studies on them, I am leaning toward the BPD/DS option since I am diabetic; however, it is newer, so long term results are not as documented as the gastric bypass which has been around for decades.

Does anyone have experience with either surgery that can tell me what to expect?

I am meeting with the surgeon soon to go over the options available and want to be informed when I discuss them with him. I am doing my own research, but would love some first hand experience advice to go along with what I have been reading.

I've copied down the list of what to ask from this forum and the surgeon did answer many of those questions on risks and his own record with the surgeries during the information session.

I am more wondering how quality of life changes after surgery?

Currently I am on 8 different meds for my diabetes and high blood pressure, so I am hoping those will see a significant drop. Even if I am not able to stop my insulin, it would be nice to not need oral meds in addition to the insulin anymore. There is just so much information out there, it is a bit overwhelming even though I am excited and have my family's support in my decision.
Diana
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #2  
Do or Do Not

S/C/G: 302/267/135

Height: 5'5

Good luck on your journey! Hope you find the answers you're looking for! <3
CutieCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #3  

Thank you CutieCourt! I have my appointment next week. Due to insurance I may have to wait 6 months, so I have plenty of time for research on the two.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #4  

Default Glad for you

I am very excited that you are choosing to do this when your kids are this young. I waited till mine were all nearly adults. I had the roux en y. I feel so much better. My dr and dietician are great. I am 5 years out and still have the weight off mostly. I was over 400 pounds. I did not have diabetes, but my friends that did and had the surgery were very happy that they were immediately off all diabetic medicine. In fact from what I heard, my dr is doing research to look into this being used as a treatment for diabetes. I am not a dr or medical professional, but the fact that I had 100% chance of being diabetic and now next to no chance makes me very happy as I see my mom and sister deal with diabetes as well as my dad did. I wish you luck and prayers as you continue on this journey and decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG View Post
Hi everyone,
I am new to this part of the board, but I've been morbidly obese and a member of the forums for ages. I finally am in a place in my life where I have insurance that covers the surgery and since I have two daughters under 12 and diabetes and hypertension I have decided to have WLS to help me get healthier and be here for my daughters as they grow up.

I have been to the information session and have been reading about the different surgeries in peer reviewed medical journals and have narrowed my decision down to either a Laproscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass or a Laproscopic BPD with Duodenal Switch. My insurance will cover both and the surgeon does both.

After reading studies on them, I am leaning toward the BPD/DS option since I am diabetic; however, it is newer, so long term results are not as documented as the gastric bypass which has been around for decades.

Does anyone have experience with either surgery that can tell me what to expect?

I am meeting with the surgeon soon to go over the options available and want to be informed when I discuss them with him. I am doing my own research, but would love some first hand experience advice to go along with what I have been reading.

I've copied down the list of what to ask from this forum and the surgeon did answer many of those questions on risks and his own record with the surgeries during the information session.

I am more wondering how quality of life changes after surgery?

Currently I am on 8 different meds for my diabetes and high blood pressure, so I am hoping those will see a significant drop. Even if I am not able to stop my insulin, it would be nice to not need oral meds in addition to the insulin anymore. There is just so much information out there, it is a bit overwhelming even though I am excited and have my family's support in my decision.
Diana
momfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #5  

Momfamily, Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I see the surgeon on Tuesday, so fingers crossed the appointment will be informative. I am always happy to hear how people have been helped off medication.
Diana
Old 09-30-2016, 12:47 AM   #6  

I am glad I was able to help some. Please let us know how the appointment goes. If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to help
momfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #7  

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the long time lapse in my update with the surgeon. We live in Central Florida and due to Hurricane Matthew I was without power for 5 days and without internet for 7 days.

My initial consult appointment with the surgeon went well. I really liked him and he took the time to answer the millions of questions I had. We went through the ins and outs of both procedures and I will be getting the gastric bypass with D/S. It was a busy week trying to get the bloodwork, chest x-ray and ekg while getting ready for a hurricane, but I managed to get everything done.

I've finished my pysch eval and my exercise eval and did the health eval to make sure I can withstand surgery. So now all my insurance requires is the nutrition courses and the surgeon's office wants an endoscopy. I have those scheduled for the rest of this month, so I should have a date for when it will be done by next month once they give the results of everything to my insurance company.

I am in a good place mentally on this, but my husband is freaking out a bit because it is surgery. I'm taking him to all of the appointments I can to help him see that I am taking all precautions necessary. I will post another update when I know more about a date.
Diana
Old 11-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #8  

Default Finally have a surgery date set

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick update on me! All my testing has gone well and I now have my surgery date set for Dec. 28th which takes a load off my mind because I was afraid it would be in January and then my deductible and out of pocket maximum would reset. I won't say I am not nervous, but I am excited. I go to my pre-op class and pick up my pre and post opt nutrition box on Tuesday and will start my two week pre-op diet prep on Dec. 14th. On the bright side, my husband said that doing the pre-op diet over Christmas will definitely show myself that I have the commitment and perseverance to see this through. I agree. I have not had any urge to cheat at all on my present diet. I have been working toward the pre-op diet by making small changes every week, so when it comes time to do it I'll have no trouble transitioning. My nutritionist is very supportive and I am happy to know that she is there to answer any questions I have after surgery for life.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving this coming week.