Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 12:48 PM   #1  

Default So who has the lap-band?

It seems like a lot of the women here have had the RNY, which is actually what I origally thought I was going to have done. But it looks like I'm going to go with the lap-band, and I'm curious to hear from those of you who have it yourselves? When did you have it done? How much weight have you lost since then?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:21 PM   #2  
Never Fry Bacon Nekkid!

From the research I've done both online, with other people, books and my surgeon, I see that the lapband doesn't allow you to lose as much of your excess weight. From what I have seen, RNY has become the "gold standard". Also, lapband is seen as experimental by most insurances and therefore, not covered. Again, this is my own personal research. Good Luck in whatever you decide!
Old 08-28-2003, 09:41 PM   #3  

I had the lap-band surgery done 5/30/03. I did a lot of research prior to making the decision. I learned a lot about the rny as well as the lap-band. I personally was not in favor of the rny for me. I wasn't too cool with them taking out any of my "parts". Again - this was a personal choice thing. I respect anyones decision to have whatever type of surgery they deem good for their situation. I am glad I made the decision to have the lap-band. The whole surgery takes 12 minutes and my recovery time was just a few days. I have lost about 35 lbs since my surgery. I feel great!! I am losing about 2-3 lbs per week. I am happy with that. I actually was concerned with losing too much too fast. Given the choice again, I would choose the lap-band in a heart beat. There are many sites out there to gather information on regarding the lap-band. I am new today to this board and after reading the rules (yes - I do read all those things!!!), I don't know if I can post the websites in this post. I don't want any body to feel I am trying to promote another site. One way to get more info on the lap-band would be to do a yahoo search and type in bandsters. There are tons of bandster groups out there that can assist you in your hunt for knowledge. Good luck with your research!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:41 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

welcome septemberbreeze!!! AND thanks for joining. we welcome any and all folks who've had any type of wls... it's just that the rny is the most common...

as for posting external links... it's generally ok as long as they're for informational purposes. there are occasional folks who come by with the 'latest and greatest' and they refer to a website and it's actually their sales site...

so go ahead. post a few..
Old 08-29-2003, 08:30 AM   #5  

Welcome Septemberbreeze....what a sweet name!

Hodegard, I originally wanted the lap band and the surgeon thought that it would be a really good option for me BUT my insurance would not cover it. It took me a while to get used to the idea of having the rny. If I coulda....I woulda!

peach
Old 08-29-2003, 09:17 AM   #6  

Default Long post - sorry!

Peach Pit, Jippypop (cool name by the way!!) - thank you for making me feel welcome! I hope that others may benefit from all the research I have done by educating myself on different WLS. I think the reason I like this website so much is because nobody judges anybody regardless of their choices. I have lurked here for about 8 months!! Here is my story and if it gives anyone a glimmer of hope then I am happy -

I have been overweight my entire life. I have been on every diet out there (except the cabbage one - YUCK). I am happily married to my second husband for 10 years. We had our one and only child in March 2002. I have an 18 & 16 year old from previous marriage. Having the baby in my 30's (ok - 35) made me really look at my health in a different light. My husband is bred from a rare breed of men who loves me for who I am and not what I look like (he is gorgeous by the way)! My decision to have WLS was for ME, no one else. He supported my decision whichever way I wanted to go, but he really did not have a say in it (don't I sound mean)!! I read an article in my fave magazine Woman's World Weekly about a woman who had the lap-band procedure. There were websites listed and that is where my search began. I read everything I could find to read - soaked it up like a sponge! I decided on the lap-band for several reasons. It is minimally invasive, they remove no "parts", and it is totally reversible should that ever become the case. It took a lot of courage to make the first phone call after deciding I wanted the lap-band. I found a Dr. in my town who not only did the lap-band procedure, but actually HAS the lap-band himself. I went to one of his free seminars and was overjoyed at what I learned. I was completely sold on the procedure. Then came the difficult part. INSURANCE. That is a very nasty word to me right now. It absolutely galls me how they will pay for all the diseases that can stem from obesity, but will not pay for a procedure that could possibly prevent them. HELLO PEOPLE do the math! The Dr. in my town charges $17K for the surgery (the band itself cost 3k). I have a PPO through BC/BS. It took them no time at all to say NO. I had met a woman at free seminar (love ya Jule) who lived just a few towns away. She also was denied from her insurance. After yet another few months of research -we decided to go to Mexico for cost reasons. We chose Dr. Jose Rodriguez in Acuna Mexico. He is a wonderful Dr. and a wonderful man. Again, we had researched him in depth, talked to former patients, and he actually called us from Mexico to answer any questions we had. Trust me - I drilled him! The cost for us going to Mexico totalled about $7k (including airfare and hotel). We had also set it up where the Dr. here in my town would provide care for us upon our return. I am totally pleased with my experience. I took out a small personal loan to pay for this and every month when I make the payment - I feel it was money well spent. I know I am going to be healthier. Looking good is just a pleasant side effect! I know that in 5-10 years I will be able to run with my daughter, ride rides with her at theme parks (oh yeah- been there done that too!). People always used to say that I have such a pretty face - well for the record - the rest of me ain't bad either!!!!!!!
Thank you for letting me share my story. My whole point is do not let anyone stand in your way once you have made an INFORMED decision. I did not even let the insurance company stand in my way. I never thought this would be possible- never say never ladies. Where there is a will, there is a way. Upon my search for knowledge, I have met some wonderful people. One of the is Robin. She actually participated in the FDA study of the lap-band. Her website is: http://www.geocities.com/robinh26/lapband.html
She is a wealth of information. Again - I respect one's decision for whichever type of WLS they choose. I don't want anyone to think I am trying to promote the lap-band over another surgery. This is just my experience and my opinion. The purpose is the same - being healthy and happy. I hope you all have a wonderful day - now that I am all emotional (happy!) I will go to work!!
PS: for anyone interested - Dr. Rodriguez website is: www.joseband.com Just thought I would add that if anyone was interested.

Last edited by SeptemberBreeze; 08-29-2003 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

thanks for ALL that information!!! someone will really use it. and i hope you will be bombarded with questions from lurkers who see a ray of hope in your post.

that lack of coverage in the US is just absolutely awful. for many people, the lap band is the perfect choice, but prohibitively expensive. a number of people have had wonderful experiences in mexico, from the surgeon through the nurses.

welcome aboard!!!
Old 08-29-2003, 02:38 PM   #8  

Wow! Wonderful post and very, very informative SeptemberBreeze. I've been going through insurance ****. Yep, $17K for the surgery is what I found out and nope, my insurance won't cover it. I've been curious about Mexico, so your post is very interesting. I'm going to look at the sites you provided. I went to a seminar on WLS recently and they were talking about RNY vs. lap. They said that RNY patients lose much more quickly at first, but in the long run the weight loss is very similar. I am definitely interested in lap band surgery. Keep posting!
Chickadee
Old 08-29-2003, 03:05 PM   #9  

Thanks guys - after I wrote all that I was afraid to get replies on how LONG WINDED I can be. I just feel very passionate about this particular subject.

Chickadee - If you go to Dr. R's website, there are links there. There is a girl named Marnie who has a weblink from his site. She is also a former patient and has a lovely journal open for all to read. I found it very moving and informative even though I already had the surgery. If you do decide to go to Mexico, I would strongly recommend Dr. Rodriguez. I love him. I had my gall bladder removed laproscopically (sp?) in an American hospital. I had the lap-band done laproscopically in Mexico. I was treated better in the Mexican hospital than I was in the American one!! You would have thought I was royalty the way the nurses were. Although there was a language barrier, they seemed to be able to read my mind. They are wonderful! I have nothing but good things to say about my experience. Also - a former patient of Dr. R's named Barbara is an overflowing bundle of knowledge. She lives in San Antonio Texas. She is a liazon of sorts. She will pick people up at the airport, drive them to Mexico (3hr drive), etc. She even stayed the night with me in the hospital in my room. She is a saint from heaven. Her e mail address is also on Dr. R's website.
I wish you the best of luck.

Jiffypop - I am glad to share with any one who is interested details of my experience. I want to "give back". I learned so much from people - I want to "pass it on"!!

Also - for even more info on the lapband people can go to: www.lapbandtalk.com this is also accessible through Robin's website under support.

Last edited by SeptemberBreeze; 08-29-2003 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:47 PM   #10  

Wow, why would they turn down $17,000? John's surgery was more like $40,000!?

Plus we had a PPO, but being there is no PPO in our area, they had to give us a waiver to pay the 90% So really they ate that expense!

Insurance, will anyone ever understand them? LOL!
Old 08-30-2003, 01:24 AM   #11  

Wow! I didn't realize just how fortunate I am with my insurance. My insurance covers either the band or the bypass, either open or lap, as long as you have a BMI of 35 or higher.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:48 AM   #12  

I just had my Lap-Band Monday the 25th. I am so happy with my choice. I've lost 12lbs in 12 days! I know it will slow down however my friends who have had Lap- Band are losing 2-3 lbs a week, and that's fine for me!
Old 08-31-2003, 09:14 PM   #13  

RW!!!!

Great to see ya! BIG congrats on your WLS and your weight loss!!!!

peach
Old 09-05-2003, 07:04 PM   #14  

Stupid question ...

I know this is a dumb question and I could find the answer by doing some searches, but I hope the knowledgable ladies here can answer it fasther than I can look it up! haha

I the lapband procedure the one that is reversable?

I'm thinking that I read that the lapband is a restrictive method and not a malabsorption method or combination restrictive/malabsorbtion (like the rny), right?
Old 09-05-2003, 07:19 PM   #15  

Yes, the lap band is removable. It is also restrictive, whereas the RNY is both restrictive and malabsorbative.

BTW, don't feel silly about asking questions here. I haven't been around long myself, but in the short time that I have been here, I have found this group to be very supportive, encouraging, and informative!
Closed Thread