3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Surgery

Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Food Cravings

Old 09-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

Default Food Cravings

My name is Caitlin and about two weeks ago I had the gastric sleeve operation. I have done well so far, and I've lost 24 pounds. But as I have started going out into the world, food is all around me and the cravings are driving me crazy! I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting through this.
SunshineGirl215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:47 AM   #2

Figure out what you are craving, then figure out how make something that is similar to what you are craving but is healthy?
Ie, you are craving French fries: make roasted potatoes, use a little olive oil.
Substitute ketchup with tomato paste (mix in some cayenne, vinegar, tad sugar.
Want cake? Find a one serving recipe, make it at home. Most cookie/cake recipes you can half the sugar and still taste ok. Dress up cake with lots of fruit/berries.
Don't go out hungry, bring healthy snacks in the purse.
meand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Releasing the inner hiker

I kindly suggest you ignore the previous poster's (meand) advice. Adding protein powder to a cake recipe will not make it healthy. You need to really take advantage of your honeymoon period and address the reasons you became MO.

There is a reason people say the operation is on our stomachs, not our heads. Cravings indicate emotional hunger, not physical hunger. Knowing the difference between the two will become helpful throughout this process. With WLS, you have eliminated a common coping mechanism: food. It is now your goal to replace that coping mechanism with healthier ones. Therapy, self-help books, even internet support groups can all help you with this. But disregarding your surgeon's plan to make or eat your favorite goodies, especially at this point in your recovery, will establish patterns you want to break. Maybe when you are in maintenance, you can play around with favorite recipes, but many people find this leads to regain.

By the way, what you are feeling is completely normal.

Here is a chart that may be helpful in determining the difference between physical and emotional hunger:

Physical Hunger: Comes on gradually and can be postponed.

Emotional Hunger: Comes on suddenly and feels urgent.

Physical Hunger: Can be satisfied with any type of food.

Emotional Hunger: Causes specific food cravings (pizza, chocolate, ice cream, etc...)

Physical Hunger: Once you are full you can stop eating.

Emotional Hunger: Eat more than you normally would. Feel uncomfortably full.

Physical Hunger: Causes satisfaction, doesn’t cause guilt.

Emotional Hunger: Leaves you feeling guilty and cross with yourself.

Total Weight Loss (HW 5/2010)

Post WLS (8/1/2011)
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I agree with Jen..

Since you are newly out of surgery please play it safe and only eat what your doctor says you can. What stage are you at?

Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.