3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Weight Loss Surgery

Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Bypass vs Sleeve

Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #1

S/C/G: 257/251/130

Height: 5'3"

Question Bypass vs Sleeve

I am considering weight loss surgery and am struggling between the gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve. I need to lose over 100 pounds and have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I have been advised that the bypass is the best option for both of those situations.
I have a coworker that had the sleeve and only lost about 70 pounds, most of which she has put back on. Although I believe her regain is mostly her own fault, I have been advised that regain is more common with the sleeve than with the bypass.
I have been advised that dumping is more of an issue with the bypass than with the sleeve. If anyone has experienced dumping I am really interested in your advice. I am also concerned with the potential for hair loss and malnutrition. I know the hair concern is vain, but I have great hair!
"Life loves to be taken by the lapel and told: "I'm with you kid. Let's go." -Maya Angelou
Zaffaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #2

There are pros and cons with each surgery. It's true that you lose slower and less weight with the sleeve, and dumping is not much of an issue. If you follow the prescribed way of eating, dumping shouldn't be a problem with the bypass, either.

One of the most important things with the sleeve, is that I absorb the nutrients from the food I eat. This is not true with the bypass. Also, my bowels stayed intact. I was prediabetic, and have great A1C test results now. Also, I had high blood pressure, and have been off of those meds since shortly after surgery.

The best thing you can do, is talk with your surgeon and your nutritionist then decide which avenue you want to take. Regardless, please keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #3

I also have a bit over 100 lbs to lose. I chose bypass/ roux en y because it's supposed to yield a greater weight loss, help reverse metabolic syndrome, and for me, the dumping syndrome is a plus. Anything to help me kick my Krispie Kreme habit!

Good luck.
FatBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #4

S/C/G: 302/206/170

Height: 5'6"

I chose sleeve, although RNY was tempting! Getting sicker/dumping harder sure is a better deterrent for those problem foods! I still tell myself that certain foods will make me sick (candy, donuts, pasta, etc) even though they might not. Whoever said this was the "easy" way didn't have to agree to never have a donut again!

Sleeve does have data to show that it "catches up" to the total weight loss that the bypass has, but it tends to be a bit slower, especially at first, because there is not as much malabsorption.

I did still have hair loss, around month 4. It got crazy in the shower! Luckily, I too have pretty good hair and lots of it, so my appearance was not hurt. It's grown back now and it's all good. I still take biotin along with my vitamins, it can't hurt!

Ultimately, I liked that the sleeve was less invasive and did not re-route the bowels. But it's a personal choice, and I have people in my support group from each type of surgery! Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve in 2014
302 / 206 / 170

Ancient History
My weight loss from 2002-2009:
244 / 175 (lowest) / 170
gonzostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.