Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273

Height: 5'9"

Default One week post RNY gastric bypass

Hi everyone! New to this site and in desperate need of help and/or support.

So, as the title says, I'm one week post Roux en Y gastric bypass. So far, I'm regretting my decision. I'm nauseous and occasionally vomiting, yet at the same time ravenous. I'm taking (unprescribed) Zofran for the constant nausea 'cause I honestly couldn't take it anymore. I did call the surgeon's office, and they offered up everything but an antiemetic. I did find some posts online that some patients are actually prescribed Zofran (so it's safe?); apparently it's not my surgeon's choice, though. I think I'm taking in adequate liquids and am not dehydrating, but this morning I felt so physically weak that I felt I could collapse. The most compelling feeling I have, though, is that I NEED TO EAT. I just sucked the life out of a few pieces of plain chocolate...and I LOVED IT! It's wrong, I know, as I'm still on the clear liquid diet, but I needed something, anything. I live with my sister, who has a pretty healthy diet. I'm not big on salads, but when I see her sit down to one, I want it. It's the ultimate of "I want what I can't have". I need to chew, I need something in my mouth!! Apparently, I'm willing to throw it back up, too, if it doesn't sit right...case in point, the chocolate. Please, someone tell me you know what I'm feeling. I don't want to destroy my pouch, but I'm soooo hungry!!

Thanks so much for your time.
mumuv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Hi there. I've not had the surgery but I've seen the recovery of several close friends and family members.

The surgery is just a tool. You still have to put in the mental/emotional work to fix whatever food issues you have, whether that is eating from boredom or for comfort or just habit. It's so super vital that you not eat junk and stick to the diet the doctor is telling you to. It is incredibly easy to completely negate the effects of surgery. I have so many friends who've had the various types of WLS done and almost all of them have gained it all and more back, or didn't lose much anyway because they didn't follow the rules of the surgery. The nausea happens to most RNY patients from what I've seen and read. They should have told you that before the surgery? You were warned about nausea and dumping before hand I hope?

You say you needed something, anything, you were so hungry, but you chose chocolate rather than something that might have at least offered you nutrition. Also, something that because of it's content (sugar) will drive your brain to crave more food, more carbs, more sugar...which will make you so much more miserable.

I would urge you to contact your doctor ASAP and tell them you've already been off the diet and need help right away. And please, never take unprescribed meds. Are you in therapy? That should probably be the next move too. Therapy is invaluable to people with addiction issues and can be the difference between failing or succeeding in these situations. I so hope you can get some help quickly and get through this first very hard part of surgery.

Take care of yourself. Learning to live a new way with food is such a challenge!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

Some thoughts...

1. Why/what are you vomiting? This is not normal. You should only be on liquids at one week out, to give your staple line a chance to heal. However, if you were like me, you might only be able to drink tiny sips. I actually set an alarm at first to go off every five minutes, to remind me to drink. Bigger sips made me ill.

2. Nausea is often related to dehydration. You need 64 ounces, if not more. Protein drinks will help fill satisfy you, as well as hydrate you. Try different temperatures and types of drinks as well. Warm teas and broths often made me feel better than cold drinks. And plain water still, after four years, makes me sick. Plus, my body registered thirst as hunger after surgery. The feeling I had always associated with hunger was my new thirst signal. This could be your new normal, as well.

3. Are you on a PPI? Nausea is also associated with excess acid.

4. Make an appt. with your surgeon/team ASAP and tell them everything you've stated here. If they don't want you on Zofran, ask them for a replacement. Ask them for a therapist recommendation as well.

5. Are you walking? Getting out of the house and your mind off food helps. Plus, some folks feel the effects of surgery (trapped gas/anesthesia/etc), longer than others and walking may help to alleviate those side effects.

6. You made a significant decision to help with weight maintenance, but it is not as "easy" as others (and maybe yourself) may believe. Your desire to eat has not disappeared, but it is imperative you follow your surgeon's orders at this time. You could kill yourself if you give in to your temptations right now. You may be feeling hunger, but you will not die if you don't eat. Remember why you made this choice and find someone (support group, therapist, experienced mentor, etc.) to help you deal with your demons.

Good luck and please make wise choices.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #4  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Surgery is definitely not the easy way!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

It sure isn't the easy way out... quite the opposite.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:20 AM   #6  
110lbs BustedOff/more2go

S/C/G: 330/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

Hi there. So I am well over a decade out of my gastric bypass surgery.
And while I know some things have changed since I had mine- eating food is not recommended for s few reasons. 1. you have to retrain your body that when your are craving or hungry you are not going to die...it passes and you still live. 2. your guts are healing from serious surgery do not put food in that mix. Clear broth jellos stick to them. 3. You are not hungry post surgery, sorry but its all cell memory- if your are drinking the correct amount of liquids plus your correct liquid diet your teeny tiny pouch is full all day plus its still healing. So its all in your head and habit, busting through this is possibly the hardest part of weight loss.

This should truly be one of the easiest times for you to lose weight, like you probably just left the hospital. So I would suggest extra sessions with the therapist to help brake old habits and find new mindset.

*New studies are coming out that at around the 5 year mark (when most ppl start to regain the weight lost via WLS) that our bodies are actually re-adapting to our surgeries.
- This is my issue.
So please but your full 100% into accountability and change, esp at this point were the weight should literaly be melting off of you everyday... you owe it to your self <3
justanotherchix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #7  

Hi there - so sorry your post op course has been difficult. If I were you, I would be in touch with my surgeon immediately. Perhaps there's some medication adjustment which needs to be done.

Good luck.
FatBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:35 AM   #8  

Default Keep watch

Your symptoms sound similar to mine when I had my RNY several years ago. Your nausea could also be a reaction to anesthesia, even several weeks out. When I was about 3ish weeks post op, I was nauseous, could hardly eat or drink, and felt horrible and weak. I went to the doctor, and they said I was dehydrated and becoming malnourished (which made me laugh since I probably weighed 280 lbs). Also, all my labs came back indicating my potassium and other assorted levels were messed up.

I was hospitalized for about three days until they got me straightened out...I felt so much better. I ultimately ended up eating weird things, like pretzels, popcorn & cup a noodles for a few months because that's all I could tolerate. Eventually, I was able to add other foods in & now, rarely have food issues.

Talk with your doctor & see what can help with nausea. You may need to ask if they can check your labs for irregularities, as you could be dehydrated, etc, too. I think the hunger will pass, and it won't be long before you can add limited foods back in to your diet. Stay encouraged, exercise if you can, and hang in there...it will get better. 😃
Pooky2 is offline   Reply With Quote