Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #31  

Hi people,
Most of you don't know me, because I haven't hung around here much in the last few years, but this is still the best support I've ever found (which is a long way of saying I'm probably going to be posting more). And I had lots more posts than what shows, but something happened during some update years back and the number went way down.

I had lap band surgery in 2004 and am down 103 pounds. There have been lots of ups and downs and I'm working hard to lose 30 more pounds. My body seems to be stubbornly holding on to every ounce it can right now. I've always wondered if we are genetically disposed to hang on to fat for warmth. It seems so much easier to lose in the warmer months.

So, I just keep working out and doing my best to eat paleo/primal. Hopefully things will start moving soon.
I love, love, love my fitbit. I've worn it everyday since May. Something that helped me was to measure my stride and change the settings to my measurements. I'm short and wasn't getting credit for all my steps. I also changed my goal to 8,000 steps. Most days I get that and way more, but it felt good to feel that buzz more often! One more thing - I've started putting it through my shoelaces when I'm at the gym doing the elliptical or arc trainer. That way it measures the movement it may not otherwise catch.

Long post - sorry!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #32  
GmaTo8

Leenie, your trip to New York City sounds like a lot of fun! I've always wanted to see that wax museum; I hear it is awesome. I'm glad the weather will be a little warmer for you.

Chickadee, good to see you here! Congrats on your weight-loss so far. The last pounds are always the hardest to take off. Seems lots of people are using a Fitbit now days. The technology we have is awesome!

Hello to anyone else reading this.

I've been having a struggle with extra carbohydrates. Seems I'm craving them more and more. Sometimes I give in, most of the time I do not. At least the ones I eat are mostly complex carbs.

TTFN
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #33  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Chickadee, its so good to see you you are right, this is the best place for support. You've done wonderful with the band Me not so good, my head is the problem as the band works just fine.. oy lol. I have a fitbit too, some days I forget to put it on. Does it really not count your steps b/c of your height?

Jane, NYC is great and the museum is a lot of fun. Some of the dummies (lol) look so real and others could use a make over. Hey, if you're going to eat carbs its better to eat good ones, right.

I've been doing well this week (only 2 days lolol) eating, lots of veggies/fruits and lean meats. This weather makes you want to curl up with a bowl of mac and cheese and a pan of brownies. just sayin.

Happy Tuesday!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #34  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi Folks,

I thought I would check in. I had an incredible experience yesterday. I needed some new jeans (the old ones were too big) and I was a size 14!!! I started at a 6X!!! It really seems like a miracle!!

I really relate to the head game with the surgery. I went to therapy for binge eating disorder on and off for 8 years before I had my surgery, and still have had to deal with issues that come up in my relationship with food. I was starved a lot as a child (neglect and abuse) and have found all kinds of stuff coming up around that as I lose the weight. I have lost 92% of my excess weight and have 22 pounds to lose to get to the goal my surgeon set for me. I am 19 months out.

It is nice to say Hi to all of you ladies. I am a once in a while poster. I am in my 60's and in my last year of law school. Even the 23 year olds are tired. I am typically exhausted and just rest when I am at home. Thanks for letting me share.

Dee

Last edited by activeadventurer; 03-07-2015 at 02:09 PM.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #35  
GmaTo8

Dee, congrats on going from a size 6X to a 14 in jeans. What a difference! Thank you for sharing your touching story, too. Hang in there on law school - you sound like a real go-getter. Pop in and post when you can.

Leenie, I hear you on the "curl up with comfort food" problem that comes along with winter. Thankfully, spring is almost here! Southern Indiana is the in the 40s and 50s this week, and I'm so grateful for that. Warmer air and sunshine helps a person to feel like getting out and moving.

Hello to anyone else reading this.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #36  
Moderator & Happy Chick

WOW Dee, law school, you ROCK !!!!! You sound so much like our friend Jiffypop and a 6x to what? 12 now.. congratulations. Welcome to 3FC's we are so glad you are here.

Doing good this week, eating lots of veggies, fruits and lean meats. I can really feel the difference when I stay away from white sugar. I always thought sugar was sugar, honey, brown, white, fruits, what ever, but nooooo, I was wrong, at least for my body. The other day I had cake, felt like crap the next day. Started eating heatlhy again and my body feel so much better.... The best thing about staying away from sugar and processed foods w/sugar, gas... yep you heard me, gas. I went from the point of being in so much pain, bloated, almost musical as I walked......to just a honk or toot here and there ((((( Jane is dying aren'tcha )))) but its true. So if you have bloat, gas, or feel like a float in the Macy's day parade... look at how much sugar you are eating.

Well, I think I've entertained you all enough for today, have a wonderful Wednesday everyone and please post, I'd love to hear from you.

Leenie

Last edited by Leenie; 03-11-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #37  

Dee, don't smaller pants feel great? I've actually been kind of bummed this winter that my work clothes don't fit. My head hasn't caught up with my body, so I go to put something on and it looks terrible. I've finally just gotten rid of it all.

Leenie, sugar is the devil! The way it makes me feel and the cravings I get when I eat it are one of the reasons I went paleo. When I'm craving sweets bad, occasionally I'll bake something with honey or maple syrup and coconut or almond flour. It's not the same, but it does the trick.

Have a great day everyone!
c
Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #38  
GmaTo8

Chickadee, please share your recipes in the thread above. I changed the name to WLS friendly recipes. 👍
Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #39  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hey Girls,

Dee YAY on the new pants, wtg girl !!! You must feel wonderful.

Chickadee, I too have been cooking/baking with just fruit and no added sugar, if I'm ready to chew the walls, I'll add honey to something, anything and you're right, it does help and I feel so much better with out it. Baking with bananas helps, gives muffins a nice sweetness.

Jane, whats shakin?

Nothing doing here, sosdd. Just waiting for spring and nicer weather. Been soooo tired lately, doing all I can to drag myself through the day (work). Some nights I'm in bed at 8:30 LOL Moving south sounds good right about now

Have a wonderful week everyone.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #40  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi Folks,

Today is my birthday and yesterday I got a onederful present. I crossed over into Onederland at 198.5. Less than 20 pounds to my goal. I can hardly wait but we all know it is one day at a time.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:12 AM   #41  
GmaTo8

Dee, what a wonderful birthday present! Kudos and happy birthday to you.

Leenie, it snowed here in So. Indiana today. I'm with you - come on Spring!!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #42  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Dee congratulations !!!!! that is one of the best gifts ever, Happy Birthday.

Jane we are expecting a cruddy day here, yesterday they said possible snow, omg, when will this winter go away, I just pray we have a nice summer, and no rain on concert nights because I have a lot of lawn seats LOL

Lets see, diet diet diet (sorry for the cuss words), yesterday I broke down and has some pretzel M&Ms .. didn't care as I was eating them, everything else went away (like a drug) but I'm in a good frame of mind today and won't do that again. Going to do some spring cleaning today... some LOL

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
Leenie
Old 03-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #43  
GmaTo8

Leenie, I totally understand about the M&Ms. They are special to me.
My biggest problem is carbs. I'm getting all my protein in, but then I want to snarf down too many carbs. I've been using the LoseIt app to keep track of my nutrients; some days are better than others.

Doitforme- jump in here for support and encouragement.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #44  

Default Hello!

I am back after several years of being gone...I had a R &Y back around 2006.. I did well went from 368lbs down to 227lbs... I had goal weight of 170lb but didn't get there. I was a member here till 2009. I left because the posting dropped off here and I got busy with life.... And I did OK maintaining for a few years. But have tadually been creeping back up. Got on scale last Fri. And saw 300.5 lbs and knew I needed to get motivated again. I am counting calories and eating lots of veggies.. Drinking lots of water and feel like I am back on track.like posting as it keeps me motivated. I am pretty busy as I take my mom shopping and do all her errands and Dr. Apts with her and she spends most weekends with me now. I work full time as a residential supervisor in a group home or the handicapped. I am happily married and live is good. I want to lose weight for me I know I would feel better and be healthier. I look forward to getting to know everyone and stay motivated..

Jane-Thanks! For inviting me... I have lots of spring cleaning that needs to be done but too cold here. Maybe by June will be warm

kayley- Wow down 60lbs! Awesome! How is the pain you were having has that subsided?

Galeo- Wow! You look good and down 50lbs good job! Love the wallet with the little hedgehogs that was really cute,.. And very talented. Awesome job with all the exercise your getting as well... I like walking and can't wait till it gets a little warmer.

Leanie- I completely understand. Its easy to fall away but at least your back on track. I procrastinated longer than you.. But back on track now. Hope you had an amazing time in the big apple.. I live in Upstate NY about 4 hours North of the city.

Chickadee- My sister had lap band surgery and she did much better than I did... She is in constant motion with her job and rarely gets lunch . She takes a diet shake and an energy bar with her.

Active Adventurer- Wow talk about motivated!! Going to school for law.. I am ashamed... As I am looking forward to retirement.. Congrats on getting down to a 6x awesome.. Happy belated Birthday! Would be happy to get the same present you did...

OK guess I have been a bit.. Wouldn't want to wear out my welcome the first post!! Blessing all!
doitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #45  
GmaTo8

Sue, glad you made it here! You sound like a very busy lady. Bless you for being there for your mom. Mine died years ago, and I miss her like crazy cakes. Do you plan your meals in advance? That's a real big help to me.

Hello all. I'm in Chicago right now with 2 grandsons, and we're headed out to the planetarium in a few minutes. Just wanted to check in with you all first. Have an on-plan day.
TTFN